Author Topic: Hooray for Hortense!  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Hooray for Hortense!
« on: September 30, 2003, 06:21:33 PM »
Hey gang,

One aspect of Dark Shadows that I've always enjoyed is the interaction between the lordly Collinses and the "common-folk" staff of the great house of Collinwood.  In fact, Dark Shadows presented this intriguing "upstairs, downstairs" dichotomy between the rich and the poor a number of years before Eileen Atkins and Jean Marsh originated the superb "Upstairs, Downstairs" BBC series.

It's been great fun to see the hired help cope with life while serving under the high-and-mighty Collins family.  From the 1960s' crabby (but lovable) Mrs. Sarah Johnson and her ne'er-do-well son, Harry, the sociopathic Morgan Morgan and the lovely and gentle governess Vicky Winters (also Vicky's successor, waitress-turned-teacher Maggie Evans) to 1797's gruff (but extremely loyal and good-hearted) Ben Stokes, the cunning and beautiful Angelique Bouchard, and once again, the ingenuous Victoria Winters, they've all been such engrossing and wonderfully fleshed-out characters.  (Of course, Barnabas' servant/handy man, Willie Loomis, is Dark Shadows' "man for all seasons," imho.)

And, let's not forget 1897's comely and kindly chambermaid, Beth Chavez, the thoroughly wacked-out head groundskeeper, Dirk Wilkins or Barnabas' two incorrigible but always likable Old House servants, Magda and Sandor Racosi (the original 19th century grifters!).

I suppose in appreciation of all of these "regular folk," I'm somewhat disappointed that we do not get to see more of the ill-fated 1840 housemaid, Hortense (O'Hearn?).  In fact, I believe that Hortense may be the only member of the 1840 Collinwood house staff whom we get to see during this storyline.

In the brief time that we get to see Hortense, with that seemingly perpetually tremulous facial expression of hers, Hortense sort of reminds me of Dark Shadows' answer to Deputy Barney Fife!  I, for one, would have liked to have seen Hortense continue as Samantha Collins' faithful servant (much like PT Angelique's eternally loyal "Miss" Julia Hoffman).

Perhaps, we might of learned about how Hortense and her family boarded a ship in Limerick harbor to come to America (Boston, most likely), in an attempt to escape the despair and poverty of the soon-to-be famine-ravaged Ireland.  No doubt, Hortense must have been extremely grateful to secure even the humble position of Collinwood housemaid as she she strove to achieve/discover, what Vito Corleone so accurately described to Americo Bonasera, (as finding) "America to be a paradise."

Oh well, Hortense joins that pantheon of relatively short-lived Dark Shadows characters (along with Sheriff George Paterson, Buzz Hackett, Portia Fitzsimmons, "King" Johnny Romano, Buffie Harrington and a certain ubiquitous and silent saloon keeper) who we never really get to learn much about on the show.  C'est la vie!

Bob the Bartender

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re:Hooray for Hortense!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 07:01:40 AM »
Poor Hortense :'(   how very unfortunate, first given the sac by Mr. Quentin, then falling prey to that creature sleeping under those branches.

The lesson here is.. never wake anyone with or without a head while he is sleeping under a bunch of branches.

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 02:17:43 PM »
Poor Hortense :'(   how very unfortunate, first given the sac by Mr. Quentin, then falling prey to that creature sleeping under those branches.

The lesson here is.. never wake anyone with or without a head while he is sleeping under a bunch of branches.

Dear Ghost of Sarah Collins,

You said it!  You ain't just whistlin' "Dixie"!!!!

Bob the Bartender

PS Please extend my best wishes to Magda Racosi, Beetlejuice and to Casper, the Friendly Ghost!

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 02:52:10 PM »
The Collins family does always seem to be understaffed, no matter what period in history.  You would expect both Samantha and Edith to have thier own ladies maid, Quentin and Gabriel a valet, a butler, cook, kitchenmaid, laundress, upstairs parlor maid, downstairs parlor maid, etc., etc.  Can you imagine poor Ben carrying the firewood and lighting fires in all the rooms in addition to all those other duties.  No wonder he lost his head in the end.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 09:53:42 PM »

That should have been embroidered on a pillow for the drawing room - or at least immortalized in cross stitch somewhere in the room. Samantha and Edith definitely needed something like working on crafts to keep them out of trouble.  [wink2]

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 06:20:58 AM »
PS Please extend my best wishes to Magda Racosi, Beetlejuice and to Casper, the Friendly Ghost!

My Thanks Mr. Bob...I have given them your best wishes,  Magda knew you were going to say that, Beetlejuice mentioned having saved something for you in his coat pocket... for later?,  and Casper is off with that Wendy Witch again.

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 05:50:24 PM »
My Thanks Mr. Bob...I have given them your best wishes,  Magda knew you were going to say that, Beetlejuice mentioned having saved something for you in his coat pocket... for later?,  and Casper is off with that Wendy Witch again.

Dear Ms. Collins,

Ah yes, the delightful Mrs. Magda Racosi, one classy and timeless lady!

And, as to Beetlejuice, well, all I can is, if we had more Beetlejuices in the world, there'd be far fewer Gabriel Collinses in the world, IMHO.

Later!

Bob the Bartender