Author Topic: One Man's Misery Is Another Man's Good Fortune!  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
One Man's Misery Is Another Man's Good Fortune!
« on: August 11, 2003, 10:23:10 PM »
Hey gang,

Whew!  You can't tell the dead ballplayers without a scorecard.  (At least, in PT Collinsport, you evidently can't!)

I think that we've seen more DS characters killed in the space of sixty or so Parallel Time episodes than we did for the entire nine-month run of the 1897 DS storyline.

Can you imagine what the ramifications of all these deaths/homicides are?  Well, for starters, take the Eagle Hill Cemetery caretaker/archivist.  In the space of just a couple weeks, the poor, old guy has to find spaces to "plant" all of these recently deceased people.

Okay, he can place Liz and Carolyn in the Collins Mausoleum.  (What the heck, Angelique's "space" is now free for Carolyn to take over!)  Of course, Will Loomis, not being a blood member of the Collins clan, will have to buried out in the cemetery field with the rest of the riffraff.  (I think we can all agree that Quentin probably elected to have cousin Roger cremated, with his ashes being scattered over some particularly appropriate place, like the town dump or Buzz Hackett's pig farm!).

The Eagle Hill Cemetery caretaker would then have to find burial plots, for, by my count, a minimum of eight of the so-called "regular folk" of Collinsport (Cyrus Longworth, Sabrina Stewart, Larry Chase, Bruno Hess, Aldon Wickes, Fred the handy man, the other unnamed guy that Angelique "offed" and Claude North).

Perhaps, at the prospect of so daunting a task, the venerable Eagle Hill Cemetery caretaker would say: "Screw this!  I'm taking early retirement at age 84, and heading down to sunny North Miami Beach!"

Nevertheless, there are those "entrepeneurs" in PT Collinsport, who would find this sudden rash of mortality to be a veritable bonanza.  Of course, I'm referring to the morticians (or "corpse valets" as Vito Corleone once characterized them) of Collinsport.

Heck, they'd be battling each other to "scoop up" up all of the "stiffs," literally littering the fair streets of Collinsport!

A question of my own, however.  Let's say that Burke Devlin, owner and funeral director of the Burke Memorial Home, has the late Dr. Cyrus Longworth laid out in his coffin (attired in the doctor's best navy blue three-piece suit) for everyone to pay their final respects to, during visiting hours at the funeral home.  What happens if Dr. Longworth suddenly starts "morphing" into John Yaegar, right in front of the assembled bereaved, sitting there, in those uncomfortable metal folding chairs?

Does Burke slam the coffin lid down and say: "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen, but the viewing hours are now over for today!"?  And, after the stunned mourners depart the premises, does Burke proceed to undress and then clothe Dr. Longworth into one of those ugly-@ss suits of John Yaegar?  (Or does Burke just announce that, from here on in, this will be a "closed coffin" memorial for the good Dr. Longworth, until he's planted six-feet-under?)

As you can see, there are many unseen consequences of the unfettered bloodshed that has just taken place in PT Collinsport, circa 1970.  I shudder to think what may happen in other "less civilized" time periods of this other, concurrent band of time.

Bob the Bartender

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:One Man's Misery Is Another Man's Good Fortune!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 10:36:05 PM »
I'm still wondering why the FBI never showed up in full force, mobile crime scene units by the street-full, evidence kits flying, body bags thick on the ground!!

John Yaeger, Angelique AND Roger Collins all qualified as serial killers, didn't they?  Don't local authorities usually ask the FBI for assistance in such cases?

But not our intrepid Collinsport Sheriff's Department....they never even contacted the State Police, much less the FBI.

What do you suppose they were waiting for?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 10:48:30 PM »
Yes, the cerebral Inspector Hamilton and the Collinsport PD are about as feckless as Roman Brady and the entire Salem Police force were in tracking down the so-called "Salem Strangler," about a million years ago, IMHO.

By the way, how come there are no uniformed police officers in PT Collinsport?  I mean, all we've seen are plain clothes detectives.  Does PT Collinsport have such an apparent "vice" problem, that it requires so many undercover policemen?  (And, if so, all I have to say is, that it sounds like my kind of town!)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 12:16:45 AM »
This is one thing that bugs me about PT 1970, I hate the fact that they made so many of the major charactors take a early dirt nap.  MPO is it takes away from the story.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 04:11:15 AM »
(I think we can all agree that Quentin probably elected to have cousin Roger cremated, with his ashes being scattered over some particularly appropriate place, like the town dump or Buzz Hackett's pig farm!).

Right now I'm laughing so hard that I can barely see my keyboard through the tears in my eyes! [lghy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 04:29:15 AM »
I'm still wondering why the FBI never showed up in full force, mobile crime scene units by the street-full, evidence kits flying, body bags thick on the ground!!

John Yaeger, Angelique AND Roger Collins all qualified as serial killers, didn't they?  Don't local authorities usually ask the FBI for assistance in such cases?

However, whenever aspects of the plot crossed over into the "real world," DS was not free to make up its own rules.

Ah, the exquisite tortures of examining Dark Shadows too closely!!

Now who's going through "the exquisite tortures of examining Dark Shadows too closely"? Hmmm????

But seriously - or maybe not so - perhaps there is no FBI in Parallel Time. Or even state police. They simply have staid Inspectors running around trying to solve crimes. And at least in this case no one was being held for a series of bizarre murders without the slightest bit of actual evidence to connect them to the crimes. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 10:58:18 AM »
However, whenever aspects of the plot crossed over into the "real world," DS was not free to make up its own rules.

Ah, the exquisite tortures of examining Dark Shadows too closely!!

Pepe.....just out of curiosity....how, exactly, did you happen to remember one particular snarky comment of mine, made on May 21st?  Hmmm?  Total recall?   ???

There's something very ODD about you...[vryevl
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2003, 11:38:43 AM »
Pepe.....just out of curiosity....how, exactly, did you happen to remember one particular snarky comment of mine, made on May 21st?  Hmmm?  Total recall?   ???

I do indeed have total recall when it comes to anything that I think might prove useful in the future. [wink2]
(And don't kid yourself into thinking that I'm the only one around here who does. ;D)

There's something very ODD about you...[vryevl]

Why, thank you, Rainey - I'm damn proud of that fact, and those who know and love me wouldn't have me any other way. [lghy]

And who knows, perhaps next time I might trot out something that you might have said back in 2002. [vryevl] :D Only time will tell...

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2003, 12:24:55 PM »
Methinks that MB is like the proverbial elephant (never forgetting anything!).

Barring that, perhaps the redoubtable MB may have some Italian blood back there in the Mysterious Benefactor family tree.  Believe me, those people NEVER forget anything!  Right, Raineypark?

Then again, there was always the late, great Lee Marvin.  I remember the superb Academy Award winning actor once telling Johnny Carson, that he actually remembered "being born."  Now, that's one heck of a memory!!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2003, 12:45:05 PM »
Methinks that MB is like the proverbial elephant (never forgetting anything!).

Ha! My mother used to say that to me all the time. :)

Barring that, perhaps the redoubtable MB may have some Italian blood back there in the Mysterious Benefactor family tree.  Believe me, those people NEVER forget anything!  Right, Raineypark?

I do have Italian blood in me - and Rainey knows that - but it wouldn't have done for her to have used that as an excuse. [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 03:18:42 PM »
Oh, I don't know about never forgetting anything, paisanos,.......

I'm only certain we never forgive anything.  [vryevl]
Dylan Thomas

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2003, 03:38:03 PM »

:P Ohmigosh!  - I just had this mental image of Arlo Guthrie singing Alice's Restaurant

"And they was using up all kinds ofcop equipment that they had hanging around the police officer's station.They was taking plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and they took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us.  Took pictures of the approach, the getaway, the northwest corner the southwest corner and that's not to mention the aerial photography."

I think maybe the heat & humidity are getting to me??

c'ya!

Franimal

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 04:11:02 PM »
I think maybe the heat & humidity are getting to me??

I think maybe that's all our excuses. [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 04:14:29 PM »

See, that's how I know I only have a small amount of Italian blood in me - because I do forgive - it's the forgetting part I have trouble with sometimes...

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 07:12:37 PM »
Oh, I don't know about never forgetting anything, paisanos,.......

as a fellow Italian believe me we may APPEAR to forgive but we NEVER forget anything!

jennifer
if i was Kobe's wife he'd find that out someday!no pre-nup! Calf is half isn't it?
isn't there someone from DS in Calf that can run for gov?
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV