Author Topic: Momentous, First Words!  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Momentous, First Words!
« on: August 08, 2003, 11:04:27 PM »
Hey gang,

I'm sure that we all sat on the edge of our collective seats today, wondering what Roxanne's earth-shattering, first words might be.  Here are a few last-second ideas that came to me as the apple-of-Claude North's-eye was about to speak:

1. "Is the end-of-summer-sale at Brewster's Department Store still going on by any chance?"

2.  "I'm extremely sorry, Barnabas.  Of course, I couldn't tell you this myself before today.  But, you see, I'm saving myself for Bobby Sherman."

(Note on Bobby Sherman: The so-called Justin Timberlake of the early 1970s, for all of you Dark Shadows fans out there, who were not, yet, a gleam in your fathers' eyes.)

3.  "Hey, what's new with Erica Kane on 'All My Children'?"

4. "This bullet-bra is absolutely killing me!"

5.  "Claude, when you told me the happy news that you wanted me to meet your family, I never thought that you meant the ones who are buried in Eagle Hill Cemetery!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Momentous, First Words!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 03:44:01 AM »
Hysterical stuff as always, BTB! [lol2]

Just one minor quibble. As funny as your reference to Erica Kane is, I think you're probably a bit off there. If Angelique had already been dead for six months in March/April, that would mean that she'd died around October 1969, and presumably Roxanne would have been in her "coma" soon thereafter. However, AMC (which debuted on the same day as the long ago canceled The Best of Everything and A World Apart, which featured Susan Sarandon) didn't start until January 1970. ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 08:06:52 AM »
LOL, Bob!  I wish you'd been writing, cuz those are way better than the clunker "I can speak".

Just one minor quibble. As funny as your reference to Erica Kane is, I think you're probably a bit off there. If Angelique had already been dead for six months in March/April, that would mean that she'd died around October 1969, and presumably Roxanne would have been in her "coma" soon thereafter. However, AMC (which debuted on the same day as the long ago canceled The Best of Everything and A World Apart, which featured Susan Sarandon) didn't start until January 1970. ;)

Maybe Aunt Hannah, like some of us here, was an AMC fan from the beginning, so while she put down her cards for a half hour on weekday afternoons to catch it on the small B&W in Tim's lab, Roxanne got an earful in her coma state? [wink2]

For fun I threw together a few DS-related AMC trivia questions.  Anybody can give any of them a shot:

1.  It's well known that Louis Edmonds played Langley Wallingford, but what was his character's real name?

2.  Name one of Langley's daughters.  (Or both if you can. :))

3.  Which one of the following names associated with DS was NEVER the name of an AMC character:

A)  Victoria
     B)  Maggie
     C)  Angelique
     D)  Daphne

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 08:24:05 AM »
4. "This bullet-bra is absolutely killing me!"

ROTFL!!!  Priceless Bob!!! [clap] [clap]

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 10:56:52 AM »
Maybe Aunt Hannah, like some of us here, was an AMC fan from the beginning, so while she put down her cards for a half hour on weekday afternoons to catch it on the small B&W in Tim's lab, Roxanne got an earful in her coma state? [wink2]

[lghy] I hadn't thought of that.

But you know - Roxanne wasn't in a conventional "coma" - who knows where her consciousness might have been? And I don't think she ever talks about being aware, does she? :-

Actually, if that topic isn't ever addressed, it could make for some great fanfic. ;)

For fun I threw together a few DS-related AMC trivia questions.

I remember the answers to the first two (always loved it when Myrtle addressed Langley by his real name ;)), but I can only place one of those character names (Dimitri's "dead" wife). Right now I can't think which two of the remaining three were actually used. [hdscrt]

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 04:31:26 PM »
Hysterical stuff as always, BTB! [lol2]

MB,

I guess that as a psychometrist, Roxanne had her antenna (antennae?) tuned into the local ABC affiliate station in Hancock County, so that she could keep up with Palmer and the gang (even as she was taking a prolonged schnooze!).

By the way, here's one more possible first, noteworthy exclamation by Ms. Drew:

"Darn it!  I should have taken Buffy Harrington up on her offer to set me up with her dreamboat of a cousin, Jeff Clark."

Bob the Bartender, frequent "Bartlett's Quotations" user.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 05:33:46 PM »
Right now I can't think which two of the remaining three were actually used. [hdscrt]

One of them is currently on the show.  ;)

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 12:51:04 AM »
Langly's real name was Lenny Vlassic

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 01:42:25 AM »
One of them is currently on the show.  ;)

Well, I haven't seen so much as a glimpse of AMC in the past three and a half years, so if she wasn't on before then, I'm clueless. Actually, I'm clueless period because I can't even think who the other might be. [b003]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 12:40:43 AM »
Wasn't one of 'Langley's' daughters the wonderful Carol Burnett?

Patti

who remembers the original husband AND Link AND Kitty (who of course...went on with AMC in what capacity??-more trivia).
What a Woman!

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 10:40:09 PM »
Langly's real name was Lenny Vlassic

Blue Whale Barfly,

Re: Lenny Vlassic

What, is the guy from that famous pickle company?

Bob the Bartender, who prefers dill pickles to cucumber pickles, with a little cole slaw on the side of my reuben sandwich.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2003, 07:30:44 PM »
1.  It's well known that Louis Edmonds played Langley Wallingford, but what was his character's real name?

Blue_Whale_Barfly is correct-- it was Lenny Wlasuk, and yes, BtB, it's pronounced the same as the pickle company.

2.  Name one of Langley's daughters.  (Or both if you can. :))

Patti got it right-- Carol Burnett played Verla Grubbs (also an AMC character named Mrs. Johnson), and Lenny's other daughter was Hillary Martin.

3.  Which one of the following names associated with DS was NEVER the name of an AMC character:

A)  Victoria
     B)  Maggie
     C)  Angelique
     D)  Daphne

Here's an image of the actress (Anna Holbrook, collecting an emmy for her role on Another World) who played one of the Victorias on the show-- Victoria St. John.

There's a photo here of Elizabeth Hendrickson in her current role as Maggie Stone.

As MB mentioned, Dimitri Marick's wife was named Angelique but I didn't find a pic of Season Hubley with her clothes on, lol.