Author Topic: New DS Book! The Physics of Dark Shadows  (Read 8955 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: New DS Book! The Physics of Dark Shadows
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »
I think in answer to borgosi's question, ProfStokes announcement said that the author is speaking at the festival, so books will probably be there for sale. Maybe ProfStokes can clarify. The announcement also said orders placed now will be signed by the author. I'm interested in this topic and look forward to the book and Vlad's postings too.

I see your point, but I hope to get it there and have it signed by all envoled. I just need to know if I should order it and take it?
May you die before you want too.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 11:25:44 PM »
Hi, borgosi

Will it be for sell at the fest?
Yes, there will be copies for sale at the Festival.  Since KLS will be there too, I'm sure you would be able to get her autograph for the Foreward.  I don't know if Frank is planning to sit at a dealer's table and sign, but I would certainly be happy to point him out to you if he's wandering around.

Thank you very much for the well wishes, everybody! :D

ProfStokes

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »
congratulations of witing the preface prof!

i'll definitely order this book.

will it be available at the "big apple comic book show" since kls will be there?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:28 PM »
Since KLS will be there too, I'm sure you would be able to get her autograph for the Foreward.  I don't know if Frank is planning to sit at a dealer's table and sign, but I would certainly be happy to point him out to you if he's wandering around.

I want you to sign it as well.
May you die before you want too.

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »
congratulations of witing the preface prof!
will it be available at the "big apple comic book show" since kls will be there?
Thanks, mscbryk! :)

Although the convention is taking place after the book's release date, I'm not sure if KLS will be bringing any copies with her.  However, I shall get back to you as soon as I can find out.

I want you to sign it as well.
Certainly! I will be very happy to do that. :)

ProfStokes

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »

Back with the answer: No, the book will not be for sale at the Big Apple con.  However, I'm sure Kathryn would be willing to sign it if you bring a copy.  [ghost_smiley]

ProfStokes

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »
Congratulations, ProfStokes!!! [cheer] That's great! [bigok] This is a very interesting subject, and I'm excited to hear about a book about physics, time travel, etc. that will be easy to read. [ghost_cheesy] I will order the book this weekend. [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 06:52:19 PM »
This is so interesting, Prof Stokes, I think I will order it, too...

Offline Master Tad Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 07:00:45 PM »
I am also very interested inthis topic. Time travel is fascinating. I checked the website and the cover of this book is gorgeous. Einstein and Dark Shadows characters! Great job Prof Stokes. If I cannot make the festival I wonder if ProfStokes will please autograph it before I receive it. That would be great. Can't wait to read it. __Master Tad Collins.

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 05:24:43 PM »
I've already spread the word, ProfStokes! I know several people who'll be ordering the book, and others who want me to pick it up at the festival and have you and Frank autograph it. Way to go, ProfStokes! I'm so looking forward to Frank's book. He's a heck of a writer, and this topic is fascinating!

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »
Hello,

My name is Frank and I have joined this forum to promote my book, “The Physics of Dark Shadows,” which is officially released today. I spent this past Saturday signing a ton of books at a New York warehouse. Thank you to those who pre-ordered the book. I understand from the publisher that they will be shipped imminently.

My main purpose for joining this site, in addition to promoting the book, is to answer any questions anyone might have. There are several things I would like to say in anticipation of, and in response to, the most common questions.

First of all, as a huge Dark Shadows fan, I have been told that this is the best forum for fans to gather. I would have liked to have joined sooner, but I have three teaching jobs, plus I’m a student, plus I have contracts for three other books, all of which keeps me away from my computer during the day. I will get back to this site and answer all questions as frequently as I can. I have a good number of personal friends who belong to this site, though I confess I don’t know what creative user names they use. My very close friend Amanda, who goes by “ProfStokes”, did write the preface to the book. Kathryn Leigh Scott, who is not a member, wrote the foreword. I understand Jonathan Frid is now a member here, which automatically makes this the most prestigious forum for fans, I presume.

With the official release of the book, orders are no longer considered “pre-orders” but I will continue to sign books ordered from the publisher until the Dark Shadows Festival. I will be speaking at the Festival on Sunday July 20th at 12 noon and books will be available for sale, too. In addition to me, both Amanda and Kathryn will sign books at the Festival for anyone who would like. If you would like Amanda's signature but are not going to the Festival, I can arrange that, too.

By the way, the best reason to buy this book is for the value of Amanda’s signature, which will be one day worth more than mine and Kathryn’s combined. Amanda’s preface, which gives voice to the fan’s point of view, is truly indispensable.

On the current Festival schedule, my speaking spot is titled somewhat inaccurately. It’s listed as “The World of Parallel Time”, but the real title of my talk should be “The scientific reality of time travel” which does include parallel time. Jim Pierson has told me he will change it for the program. My talk will encompass that which is in the first part of my book – time travel. I will be happy to take questions at the Festival on the other sections about the science of ESP.

I will not at this time go into the details of the book because the promotional summary was posted by Amanda at the beginning of this topic. The website to order is also listed above – culturalstudiespress.com.

I have attended Dark Shadows Festivals every year since 1999 and have many friends that I’ve made through the years. I may very well have more friends from this site than I currently realize. If anyone has attended a Festival, you may have seen me and know me from there.

So what else can an author possibly say about his own book? I guess I’m supposed to say it is indispensable. You cannot live without it. It is a vital addition to your personal collection. And you will be forever lacking in Dark Shadows enrichment without it.

Seriously, I'm a college professor and the book began as a magazine article; researching the physics of time travel is something I also assign my journalism students. To make a long story short, my agent got me a publisher for what became a book and I think the final product is an interesting examination of the physics and science behind many of the strange events on Dark Shadows. It is written in a manner that is understandable for the average fan. So while it’s not really for young children, neither is it an undecipherable science book. It should be both interesting and fun.

In addition to answering your questions on this forum, I’ll post any related links from newspapers that are published in the next few weeks.

Thank you.

Frank Borzellieri

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »
Welcome to the Forums, Frank!

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 04:56:26 PM »
Welcome, Frank! I can't wait to see you at the festival, hear your talk, and get your book -- autographed, too!!! I'll be picking up extra copies for some friends as well who are just dying to explore this fascinating topic. Hey, I've already got some questions lined up, but I'll save them for the festival.

Again, congrats on the book!

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:17 PM »
I also want to welcome Frank! Thanks for the info. I'd love to have all the autographs including ProfStokes and Kathryn too but won't be able to make the festival this year. How can I get all three autographs? I checked the website to order and it only says signed by the author. Adamsgirl, I do remember Frank too from a festival a few years ago. He was cute, sexy.
Sally Collins

Offline ProfStokes

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Frank!  I'm so glad you finally made it here.  [ghost_grin]

I received my copy of the book yesterday, and it looks wonderful!  Congratulations to you on a job well done.

ProfStokes