Author Topic: Quentin and Jenny  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Quentin and Jenny
« on: May 02, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »
Fans,

My copy of the 14th DVD set arrived last night, and despite my busy schedule, I was able to test-drive the first two discs in the set, watch some favorite scenes (gotta love Magda getting in Barnabas' face all the time--and grabbing her wig in that one scene!), and look at the set.  One thing that bemused me, however, was that in the booklet that comes with the discs, [spoiler]in the short description of the episode in which Jenny is murdered by Quentin; it says "Quentin ACCIDENTALLY kills Jenny," or words to that effect.

Now, I remember having a lengthy back-and-forth with a dear friend of mine the last tme Sci Fi broadcast these shows (it was her first chance to see them since her childhood viewing) and we both commented about how typical it was of Q to claim that Jenny's death was an accident when, the way Selby played the scene, it was quite clear that Q killed her very much in cold blood.

I can't recall whether Ann Wilson's episode guide in the DS Memories book (which I regard as the best of all the various episode guides available) also implied that Q killed his ex-wife "accidentally."  In general, Q's relationships with his past lovers do not paint him in at all an attractive light.  He obviously hated Laura at first sight upon her return (and she cordially returned the favor---the scenes betweeen these two have to be among the finest moments in the entire series!) and was even more vicious towards Jenny.[/spoiler]The original characterization of Quentin seems to have played off the late Sixties theme of the anti-hero--something that is very much out of fashion these days.  With Quentin even more so than with Barnabas, once the teeny-bopper adulation and the 16 magazine interviews began, they really seem to have softened and "rehabilitated" Q's character.

btw, on the first disc in this set, there's a great interview with Selby where he reveals that some more insistent fans were camping out in the lobby of his apartment building, demanding that he adopt them!  Great stuff.

G.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin and Jenny
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
[spoiler]
Well I think Quentin had decided not to kill Jenny, and only ended up killing her as an act of self defense. He most likely could have handled the situation without killing her, as he had her held down without the knife at the exact moment of strangulation. However, one could argue that the rage he felt toward her after she already killed him once, and was attempting to do it again, caused him to abandon reason and just freak out and kill her. So, insofar as one can claim acts of passion are "accidents", you could claim it was an accident.
[/spoiler]
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 05:14:09 PM »
Hi Garth,

Well, I haven't had the chance yet to watch that particular episode again, but from what I remember, the scene was played [spoiler]as if Q could have chosen to disarm Jenny and leave it at that.  The way he and Marie played the scene, however, it seemed clear that he murdered her in cold blood.  That's how I remember it, anyway. 

From what I can recall, the scripts don't give us any insight into the backstory of Quentin's love with Jenny.  The only signs of remorse I can recall come when Q realizes that Jenny had had a son and daughter by him.  And even then, his remorse was for how his actions had resulted in the death of his baby son.  Truly tragic.  A lot of the writing for Q in the original 1897 storyline really plays on the ancient Greek notion of a "fatal flaw."[/spoiler]

cheers, G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 05:32:01 PM »
[spoiler] I recall how much Quentin wants to get rid of Jenny once he was brought back to life after she had stabbed him to death. Of course he was willing to back off as long as Beth was willing to um, shall we say, keep him satisfied.

I like to believe Quentin didn't really intend to kill Jenny when she attacked him and Beth, but considering how anxious he was to do away with her before, I can't be absolutely sure.
[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »
Everybody's right.   It was a murky situation and life's full of them.   Put every thing everyone's said together, and that's it.

Now I'm only missing the bit between [spoiler]when Q is a zombie and when the fire happens at the school.  hard to believe that's only a dozen episodes or so.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:50:09 PM »
Iluvbarny-- [spoiler]
I don't think one can reasonably argue he wasn't trying to kill Jenny at that point. He had her completely subdued and Beth was begging him to stop and he kept on strangling her until she died. Maybe he was temporarily insane, but in that insane state he was certainly trying to kill her. It's not like he was just trying to cut of her air temporarily to teach her a lesson. :D
[/spoiler]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »
Iluvbarny-- [spoiler]
I don't think one can reasonably argue he wasn't trying to kill Jenny at that point. He had her completely subdued and Beth was begging him to stop and he kept on strangling her until she died. Maybe he was temporarily insane, but in that insane state he was certainly trying to kill her. It's not like he was just trying to cut of her air temporarily to teach her a lesson. :D
[/spoiler]

I guess an argument could be made that Quentin was temporarily insane at the time [spoiler] he strangled Jenny. Still, before that, he was ready to kill her when he went to the Old House and found she was locked in Josette's room. Only Beth stopped him. She wasn't able to at the time he was strangling Jenny, so maybe he really couldn't help or stop what he was doing, it could go either way. [/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »
You're all right.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
Now on to the more important question of why the only real difference between crazy Jenny and regular Jenny was that her hair was messed up.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »
G.,

you're right about the quentin character's 'rehabilitation'.

but the barnabas 'rehab' i get.they actually took the time to explain it within the storyline.quentin not so much.

david selby was such an awesome villain in 1968 and the early part of 1897 but once the 'tiger beat' covers start and he becomes a heartthrob for the tween set the writers make him 'nice'(or something approximating that,i'm not exactly sure of what they were going for but it's kind of boring)i never,ever understand the character again.

and apart from selby's startling good looks his stratospheric popularity within the d.s. fanbase has always somewhat escaped me. [a2a3]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
For what it's worth, the DS Program Guide also characterizes[spoiler]Jenny's death as happening "accidentally"[/spoiler]- though that may not count for much as both versions of the PG claim[spoiler]Barnabas shoots Trask in Ep #1198 instead of stabs him, which is clearly what actually happens.[/spoiler]

but once the 'tiger beat' covers start and he becomes a heartthrob for the tween set

Let's not forget that it wasn't just the teenagers who fell for Quentin/Selby. The adult daytime magazines featured him just as regularly as the teen magazines did - and a good chunk of the adoring letters to the editor as well as his fan mail came from adult women.

and apart from selby's startling good looks his stratospheric popularity within the d.s. fanbase has always somewhat escaped me. [a2a3]

Oh, you've really stepped into it now. If any of the more rabid Psychos For Selby (that's what they honestly call themselves) get wind of that remark, you may need 24/7 police protection!  [lghy]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
I think it was an "accident."  He simply got out of control.  Not that he was incapable of having a rather low disregard for human life when it suited him.  After all, look what happened in Egypt.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 10:30:43 PM »
mysterious,

i'm considering the federal witness relocation program. [ghost_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »
Well, again, I do plan to revisit those episodes shortly, but from what I recall, [spoiler] I don't see how anyone could describe it as an "accident."  For that to wash for me, he would have had to show some remorse after the fact, or come to Beth in a horrendous state (as he very believably did in the early episodes when he was starting to experience the curse) crying "what did I do?  what happened?"  (Even so, I could imagine faking such remorse for the typical reason why men deceive their women--to get Beth sympathetic enough to let Q back into her bed.  Not that that ever seems to have presented a serious difficulty for him.)

No, as I recall it, after Jenny's death he was all "good riddance to bad rubbish."  Until Magda came after him and he realized she meant business, of course.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »
Accidentally on purpose. Yeah.

[spoiler]I mean, he was all ready to break into the Josette's room at the Old House and shoot her. The only thing that stopped him was when Beth reminded him that if he went through with it, he would have to face the consequences (hanging for murder).

I'm guessing that when he finally did get his hands around her throat (after her second attempt at murdering him, though I can't really blame her) rage and self-preservation took over and he couldn't have stopped himself if he tried. Maybe his mind just blanked out and he didn't realize what he was doing until it he had already gone too far.[/spoiler]