Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0527  (Read 1670 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0527
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:49 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0527
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:14:44 AM »
So: Vicky has told Jeff that she'll love him even if he's not Peter.  Imagine that Jeff does indeed prove not to be Peter Bradford, and then Burke Devlin returns unscathed from the Brazilian jungle, and Peter Bradford shows up looking for Vicky as he promised to do.  Whom will Vicky choose?

Stokes asked Adam an interesting question: why did Barnabas chain him to the wall?  The easy answer is: "Barnabas BAD!" But that's not good enough. The real answer requires Adam to think about what he might have done to cause Barnabas to chain him, because Adam was not initially chained.  I'm starting to think that when
[spoiler]when Nicholas corrupted Adam[/spoiler]
it wasn't an entirely surprising outcome, but that's a few weeks ahead, so I'll wait and see.

Gotta love both Nicholas and Stokes.  Stokes doesn't keep stuff to himself the way I imagine Barnabas would have done.  He comes right out and says that he saw Nicholas selling that portrait of Angelique.  And Nicholas remains smilingly unfazed by any and all damning accusations.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »
It would have been interesting if Burke had returned at this point, but I never thought about Peter Bradford showing up in the mix. Now THAT would have been interesting to see.
Throw in Frank Garner, and Vicki could have had 4 guys to choose from. Whoa.

If I had been Vicki, I would have taken Professor Stokes' advice to leave Collinwood. Now that Cassandra is back, of course she's going to find a way to make Vicki have the dream.

Stokes really is a clever guy. When Jeff recognized Adam as Lang's creation, it's there that Stokes realized Adam had to have been created artifically.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
I always thought that Burke should have returned, now played by Timothy Gordon. 

I would love to see how he would deal with Adam, Eve, Nicholas, Cassandra, & Jeff.  Would he go about having James Blair (no relation to Nicholas) investigate all of them?

DS needed a character rooted more in reality to offset all the supernatural occurences.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:38:17 PM »
Burke again?  Only if he's a villain, which is how I look at him.

Vicki could come across Ned Stuart early too, and somehow in tracking down the artist of Ang's portrait she could run across 98 year old Tate.   What a merry mix up that would be.   I get such good ideas.... "I can't help but love ALL of you!   What am I going to do?!"-- Vicki.   "Oh look, you're all touching your hair at the same time!  That's adorable!"
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:19:07 PM »
It would have been interesting if Burke had returned at this point, but I never thought about Peter Bradford showing up in the mix. Now THAT would have been interesting to see.
Throw in Frank Garner, and Vicki could have had 4 guys to choose from. Whoa.

Sure, Vicki was written as loving them, but to me both Burke and Jeff/Peter seem like no wins on Vicki's end. One wanted to control her and the other wanted to maul her. Each storyline comes across as a male fantasy if ever there was one. I mean, what woman would ever want all aspects of her life controlled - or to have a man pawing her into a disheveled mess at seemingly every inappropriate time possible (at appropriate times, well, that's an entirely different story, I'm sure  [naughty])? I suspect Vicki would have grown extremely tired of both men's ways. And there are even indications of that within each storyline.

Frank probably would have been a different story. But alas he disappeared from the scene far too soon...

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:43:28 PM »
Yes, Frank DID leave us all too soon. I really wish he could have stuck around longer.

I definitely agree that Burke (Anthony George version) bossed her around too much and Jeff did too to a lesser agree. I know I wouldn't like any man trying to tell me what to do and not to do, but, and I know I'm in the minority on this one...I DID like Jeff and Vicki together. Can't explain why though.

I do wish Jeff stopped feeling so threatened about Vicki and Barnabas' friendship.
Burke did to, but at that time, he did have justification. With Jeff in the picture, Barnabas is no longer a vampire and no longer wanted to make Vicki into the image of Josette. Plus, Vicki has no interest in Barnabas other than friendship. No matter how many time she says this, Jeff just never could quite comprehend this, and it got annoying.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »
Vicki has no interest in Barnabas other than friendship. No matter how many time she says this, Jeff just never could quite comprehend this, and it got annoying.

Jealousy is but one of Jeff's many failings.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Come to think of it, both Burke and Jeff wanted to possess Vicki in a not all that different way than vamp Barnabas did. The three men had a hell of a lot more in common than they'd ever admit to each other or themselves.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 03:40:43 PM »
Jeff wasn't really Peter Bradford at all, was he?   I mean, they only look alike, no personality in common.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »
Jeff's body was possessed by Peter's spirit. Presumably we never saw the real Jeff - only an amnesiatic Peter. But because he was almost always referred to as Jeff on the show, that's how he's most often referred to when we discuss the storyline.

Also presumably, the real Jeff wasn't in love with Vicki because he didn't even know her. When Peter went back to the 18th century, Jeff was supposedly returned control of his body and resumed his life. One really has to wonder how the real Jeff dealt with an 8 month gap in his life - but that's something we'll never know - and, perhaps, something no one even wants to know. I mean, fans aren't exactly falling all over themselves to speculate about it or write fan fiction about it. Hmmm - now I wonder why that is?  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »
I just meant that if that personality we saw was supposed to be Bradford's, in Clark's body, he should have been more like Bradford.   PB was nice and reasonable, and "JC" was all bluster and... I'm not sure what he was.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 09:34:05 PM »
I suppose we might blame the amnesia for much of Jeff/Peter's erratic (to say the least!!) behavior and many of his outbursts. Though I'm not so sure Peter was entirely nice and reasonable. He had his surly moments in 1796 - though one could probably argue that they were more justified than Jeff/Peter's were.  :-\

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 11:11:30 PM »
i'm ashamed to admit this however...

i never watched the late 1968 fake-vicki episodes and thus missed the conclusion of the vicki/jeff drama.

so i always thought that jeff clark was in fact peter bradford.i didn't know that once peter had disappeared back in time that jeff still existed as a seperate entity.

it's so weird to think that jeff clark is still wandering around on this earth somewhere.i wonder where he is?

i wonder if he feels strangely every time he sees a woman in a sleeveless dress("something about you is so familiar...").

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 10:44:03 AM »
,,,i always thought that Jeff Clark was in fact peter bradford.i didn't know that once peter had disappeared back in time that Jeff still existed as a separate entity.
I always thought that, too. If Jeff Clark was a separate person, then how come [spoiler]he disappeared when Peter Bradford went back into the past? His body was gone. Where did "the real Jeff" go? [ghost_undecided][/spoiler]

By the way, another big milestone happened!  Thayer David spoke the first male opening voiceover in this episode! [milestone] He did a great job, too! I just love his voice! [luv]

I agree with you, MB and IlB, Frank Garner did indeed leave too soon! I liked him and Vicki together. [ghost_wink]

I loved the scenes between Adam and Prof. Stokes. [ghost_grin] It was so nice of him to tutor Adam, and Adam sure was learning fast.  [ghost_wub]  It was wonderful to see Adam being so verbal about himself. He was speaking a lot better. I think Dr. Lang must have picked a genius brain for Adam because he learned so quickly.  [scratch2]

It was nice to see Prof. Stokes figure out about Adam by answering him questions, and by using a hypnotic Jeff to figure out who Adam was. It's too bad Jeff didn't find out who he was, though - Prof. Stokes woke him up too soon. Jeff was hypnotized without remembering what happened. Reminds me of Julia, when she hypnotized Maggie, Vicki, and Jeff. I would hate to be hypnotized that way, myself. [ghost_angry]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 04:55:53 AM »
I loved Vickie's plaintive comment early on in the episode, "So many strange things have happened here tonight."  Yea, not like all those other nights at Collinwood where absolutely nothing out of the ordinary ever happens.

I also find it strange that Nicholas would call attention to how the colors in the portrait are now suddenly miraculously restored to their former brilliance just as Cassandra has returned to Collinwood.  One would think he would do everything in his power to downplay that inexlplicable event, not point it out to everyone.