Author Topic: Donna Wick - u spoiled something for me :(  (Read 1353 times)

Wadjet

Donna Wick - u spoiled something for me :(
« on: February 02, 2002, 06:42:25 AM »
Originally posted by Wadjet on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 02, 2002 at 00:42:25:

u spoiled(stop reading if u havent seen the whole series like i have)

i had no idea burke dies and is in a plane crash - could u please not post stuff like that in the future please?

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Donna Wick - u spoiled something for me :(
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 11:18:54 AM »
Posted by Bob on February 02, 2002 at 05:18:54:
In Reply to: Donna Wick - u spoiled something for me :( posted by Wadjet on February 02, 2002 at 00:42:25:

I know how you feel wadjet. I have seen the entire series a few times, and when I read that post by Donna Wick I thought to myself that it was going to spoil it for those of you who haven't. In the past it has always been a common courtesy on these boards for the poster to add the word SPOILER to their subject line when posting something of this nature, and this is the reason why.

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 03:39:14 PM »
Posted by Latisha on February 02, 2002 at 09:39:14:
In Reply to: Re: Donna Wick - u spoiled something for me :( posted by Bob on February 02, 2002 at 05:18:54:

Yes, spoiled that for me too. Although, I'll be glad to be rid of him. Everyone was talking about the West Wing & Quinten too, and I had no idea about that either. I was thinking I'm going to have to stop reading the board. :(

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Spoiler Warnings
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2002, 04:01:26 PM »
Posted by Midnite on February 02, 2002 at 10:01:26:
In Reply to: Donna Wick - u spoiled something for me :( posted by Wadjet on February 02, 2002 at 00:42:25:

Wadjet,

I'm sorry that a future plot turn was spoiled for you.

As Bob mentioned, SPOILER warnings are usually added as a courtesy to first time viewers and also anyone that may not remember an upcoming plot after not seeing the show in many years-- a category I fit into during the mid 90's. However, the warnings are not mandatory and are sometimes forgotten in the course of a discussion, as I'm sure was the case with Donna Wick's post, and I think it's particularly easy to make that mistake since the show is over 30 years old and has been presented in syndication several times. I'm not saying that the rest of us choose to not respect your wishes; we're all aware that newbies are coming here all the time and we welcome your input, as it can be very exciting to see the show again through a new viewer's eyes, and it often infuses old topics with fresh blood (pardon the pun) and helps insure the future of fandom.

I usually intervene when spoilers are accidentally given and in hindsight I probably should've done so when that post was first made, but I assumed that the title of the post would alert first time viewers. So if there's any blame to be handed out, I'm willing to assume the responsibility, and I apologize to you for my lack of foresight and am sure DW meant no harm.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Quentin
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2002, 04:25:04 PM »
Posted by Midnite on February 02, 2002 at 10:25:04:
In Reply to: Re: Donna Wick - u spoiled something for me :( posted by Latisha on February 02, 2002 at 09:39:14:

Latisha,

I promise you that there's going to be a HUGE fuss heralding Quentin's arrival on the show, so it will not come as any suprise. And if I know some of the fans here, there will probably be a countdown to his first appearance, LOL. But I hope you won't choose to stop reading the board because the content of the Quentin thread didn't reveal much and won't spoil your enjoyment of that storyline. It's fantastic and loaded with twists and mystery!

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: Spoiler warnings
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2002, 05:26:12 PM »
Posted by RingoCollins on February 02, 2002 at 11:26:12:
In Reply to: Re: Spoiler warnings posted by Midnite on February 02, 2002 at 10:01:26:

I think it's particularly easy to make that mistake since the show is over 30 years old
yep, I am guilty of of a few of those, too, but not on purpose, and sometimes in the name of 'comedy', or 'entertainment purposes' [please, no wagering][but i don't think most read my more obtuse stuff, anyway!] but thinking of laughs, where is Auntie Foundling?? and arashi? and my hero, RobinV?

we're all aware that newbies are coming here all the time and we welcome your input
Now THAT, i love - just this week i was talking to a young guy at the humane society, and out of the blue he starts talking about taping DS every day, cause i was talking about taping an old game show with a beatle reference. I told him about the board, and he is gonna try to join us.

as it can be very exciting to see the show again through a new viewer's eyes, and it often infuses old topics with fresh blood (pardon the pun) and helps insure the future of fandom.
we had a great discussion about what he thinks is gonna happen, and i could see he had been 'bitten' - [PtP] - then he said, 'tell me one thing - is Vickie Liz's daughter?' i only said, keep watching [how do you answer THAT question?]

I usually intervene when spoilers are accidentally given and in hindsight <> I'm willing to assume the responsibility,
m'nite, you do a wonderful job and service keeping potentially unpleasant situations from getting out of hand, gently massaging when needed. it must be a whopper of a time consuming effort, and it is appreciated. a delicate balance of 'creative control' and 'artistic freedom' [Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis Production] - and i mean that as a compliment, too!

ready for a pregame cheers,
Ringo
[who will be on the road for a few days, so ya'll will be spared the insanity, but it can't be stopped!!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2002, 07:20:27 PM »
Posted by Midnite on February 02, 2002 at 13:20:27:
In Reply to: Re: Spoiler warnings posted by RingoCollins on February 02, 2002 at 11:26:12:

[but i don't think most read my more obtuse stuff, anyway!]

The new board (we'll be there soon, I puhROMise!) will display the number of times a thread is read, so as for suspecting that people aren't reading your stuff, you may be pleasantly surprised to find it's not true, Ringo!

- and i mean that as a compliment, too!

Indeed-- a huge compliment!

One thing I should've mentioned (if I'd thought of it sooner, hee hee) that may make Wadjet and Latisha feel better is that tne new board will allow administrators to modify posts, and while we don't at all intend to make changes indiscriminately, it'll be very useful for inserting spoiler warnings.

It's probably annoying that I keep mentioning the new board instead of showing it to everybody, but because MB is customizing the program to meet our needs exactly, it's still being tweaked a bit. We also don't want to rush the move (thank you very much, VantageNet) so you'll find a test board in place for posters to practice getting used to the bells and whistles. But it's not hard to use, cuz if I can do it, anybody can.  ;)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: Thanks, Ringo!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2002, 08:19:49 PM »
Posted by RobinV on February 02, 2002 at 14:19:49:
In Reply to: Re: Spoiler warnings posted by RingoCollins on February 02, 2002 at 11:26:12:

and my hero, RobinV?

I'm here, Ringo, and sorry for the silence. Busy pushing my new e-book, LAUGH-OUT-LOUDS FOR MOMS, all over the net, working on two novels, and of course, working on Robservations.

Watching what happens with Julia, Barnabas and Dave Woodard is extremely upsetting to me. I remember feeling disturbed when I saw it in 1967, and it still gets me in the gut, even though Gerringer's replacement was so different and creepy, I wasn't nearly as sorry to witness his fate as I would have been had the beloved country doctor we'd come to know and love been the victim.

You're such a sweetheart, Ringo, thanks for the "hero" label. One can always use an ego boost!

Love, Robin

Offline Rosaetta

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks, Ringo!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2002, 06:22:28 PM »
Posted by rosaetta on February 04, 2002 at 12:22:28:
In Reply to: Thanks, Ringo! posted by RobinV on February 02, 2002 at 14:19:49:

It would be a shame if someone had told me of all the plot outcomes, I didn't much care for the new Dr. Woddard either, I think the writers decided he and Burke didn't have anywhere else to go plotwise, after all Vicki had to remain at Collinwood for a while, and Dave would naturally tell what he had learned. I didn't think Sarah was much of a sister telling(or hinting) at Barnabas secret. Maybe she saw the future and that's why she kept Willie, Julia, Maggie and David from being done away with.