Author Topic: Willie's Hospital Stay  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
Willie's Hospital Stay
« on: January 26, 2002, 09:15:56 PM »
Originally posted by Birdie on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 26, 2002 at 15:15:56:

It really brought back memories for me seeing Willie in an Oxygen tent. When I was just shy of eight I had pneumoia. At first my mother fashioned a tent out of sheets in my bedroom than I ended up in the hospital in the same such tent. At that time it waa a big deal and I was in the hospital for over a month. I was went home on my eighth birthday.

Also what was the story about smoking in a hospital room? I can't believe even in the 60th's it was permitted in the hospital. Shocked me when Julia lit up.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline MrsJ

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Willie's Hospital Stay
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2002, 09:58:43 PM »
Posted by MrsJ on January 26, 2002 at 15:58:43:
In Reply to: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by Birdie on January 26, 2002 at 15:15:56:

Also what was the story about smoking in a hospital room? I can't believe even in the 60th's it was permitted in the hospital. Shocked me when Julia lit up.

I must be really old, because I remember the days when smoking in a patient's hospital room (even one with an oxygen tent) wasn't given a second thought. It wasn't unusual for your doctor to light up when you went to his office for a checkup, either. It does look odd nowadays, but Julia really wasn't so different from most doctors of that era. Another issue comes to mind...I am the first to snicker at how quickly Julia passes out the old sedatives...but that also was common practice among many, many doctors of the 60's and 70's. Anyone remember the Rolling Stones song "Mother's Little Helper"??

MrsJ

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2002, 10:17:06 PM »
Posted by jennifer on January 26, 2002 at 16:17:06:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by MrsJ on January 26, 2002 at 15:58:43:

I must be really old, because I remember the days when smoking in a patient's hospital room (even one with an oxygen tent) wasn't given a second thought. It wasn't unusual for your doctor to light up when you went to his office for a checkup, either. It does look odd nowadays, but Julia really wasn't so different from most doctors of that era. Another issue comes to mind...I am the first to snicker at how quickly Julia passes out the old sedatives...but that also was common practice among many, many doctors of the 60's and 70's. Anyone remember the Rolling Stones song "Mother's Little Helper"??

it really hasn't been that long I can remember patients smoking with oxygen on and wheezing too!! (i've been a nurse for 23 years.) also in my old Icu the nurses station was this small area right next to the patient's beds and half the nurses would light up in there for report and the smoke would be all over the unit! It was really gross as well as dangerous! Now everyone has to go outside and very few of the nurses I work with even smoke!!!(but we all live on diet Coke!)
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2002, 10:27:46 PM »
Posted by Midnite on January 26, 2002 at 16:27:46:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by MrsJ on January 26, 2002 at 15:58:43:

I must be really old, because I remember the days when smoking in a patient's hospital room (even one with an oxygen tent) wasn't given a second thought.

I don't think anybody was careless enough to smoke around an oxygen tent, even then. Not twice, anyway. {Kaboom!}

There's a scene in the movie "Wall Street" in which Martin Sheen's character lies in Intensive Care with an oxygen cannula in his nose, and his son (real and pretend) stands at his bedside with a lit cigarette. It's supposed to be touching but I think the smoking makes it ridiculous.

Isn't it odd that Woodard has completely dropped the theory that Maggie got her microscopic "unholy union" of blood cells from her attacker?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2002, 10:36:24 PM »
Posted by Midnite on January 26, 2002 at 16:36:24:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by jennifer on January 26, 2002 at 16:17:06:

(i've been a nurse for 23 years.)

LOL, me too, Jennifer! I graduated EXACTLY 23 years ago this month!!

cue DS music -- bum bum BUM!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2002, 11:17:12 PM »
Posted by Midnite on January 26, 2002 at 17:17:12:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by Midnite on January 26, 2002 at 16:27:46:

I must be really old, because I remember the days when smoking in a patient's hospital room (even one with an oxygen tent) wasn't given a second thought.

I don't think anybody was careless enough to smoke around an oxygen tent, even then. Not twice, anyway. {Kaboom!}

MrsJ, I didn't mean to make it sound like I doubted your memory and I'm sorry if my response came off that way.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2002, 02:26:52 AM »
Posted by Carol on January 26, 2002 at 20:26:52:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by Midnite on January 26, 2002 at 16:36:24:

Oh my! I graduated from nursing school in 1974! I can remember my own father throwing off the oxygen tent and getting up to have a cigarette!! Back then, Valium and other drugs weren't a triplicate prescription and regulated by the state like it is now. You have to remember that DS followed what was the "norm" back then.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Trace

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2002, 06:08:23 AM »
Posted by Trace on January 27, 2002 at 00:08:23:
In Reply to: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by Birdie on January 26, 2002 at 15:15:56:

My mother recalls her hospital stays when she had babies as being some of the most peaceful and relaxing periods of her life--someone else took care of the baby's middle-of-the-night feedings, Mom smoked right in her hospital bed (hold the baby in one hand, and a lit cigarette in the other!!!), and she got to stay for at least three days while people waited on her for a change!

My, how times have changed! LOL!
Trace

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2002, 06:51:57 AM »
Posted by Julia99 on January 27, 2002 at 00:51:57:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by Trace on January 27, 2002 at 00:08:23:

Smoking in the hospital.. .I too was surprised to see Julia light up. . .more intrigued by the interesting way Grayson handled a cigarette though. . .uniquely, I'll say. . .J99
Julia99

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2002, 12:48:12 PM »
Posted by MrsJ on January 27, 2002 at 06:48:12:
In Reply to: Re: Willie's Hospital Stay posted by Midnite on January 26, 2002 at 17:17:12:

MrsJ, I didn't mean to make it sound like I doubted your memory and I'm sorry if my response came off that way.

Not at all :-) I just remember visiting my grandfather in the hospital, and his roommate was in one of those oxygen tents. One of his visitors was smoking, and I remember him emptying the ashtray into the garbage can (right next to me!) I guess I should be grateful that he put it out, lol.

MrsJ.