Author Topic: Dark Shadows DVD's  (Read 1905 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows DVD's
« on: May 19, 2004, 03:11:40 PM »
Hello fellow Shadowphiles!  Buzz  8) here just letting you know not to buy the DS DVD's from bestbuy.com as they are price gouging, i.e. they are overcharging us $10 for the DVD's!!   :'(  They are listed at $69.99 on Best Buy's website and MPI is selling them for $59.99.  The price is even better on Amazon.com and Deepdiscount.com. They only charge $53.98 for new DVD's, cheaper if you want to go w/used.  Just wanted to let everyone know that Best Buy is ripping us off right now and that we should take our hard earned cash elsewhere!   >:(
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Dark Shadows DVD's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:05:53 PM »
Hmmm - that's strange. All of their other DS DVD sets are listed for $43.99 and I've even gotten some on sale in their stores for as cheap as $32.99.

I wonder if it's a typo on the site that they're not even aware of (particularly considering that the pre-order price is usually lower)?  Otherwise mightn't they be opening themselves up for some sort of legal action for charging above and beyond the list price?  I know $59.99 is only a "suggested" price, but still...  :-

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 05:39:16 PM »
Hmmm - that's strange. All of their other DS DVD sets are listed for $43.99

That's the going in-store price for DS DVDs at my local Best Buy...tho I can't say for sure that I've seen set 12 there yet.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 08:04:32 PM »
Nope, not a typo.   :(  I called yesterday to complain and today they sent me an email that basically said, "too bad, that's our price!"   >:(

They did this back in February too and I complained then.  I had told them that if they didn't stop overcharging I was gonna tell every DS fan I could find online to not buy from them.  And what do you know, the prices were back down to their old rates.   :D

I told them in my email reply today that I was going to alert fans of the overcharge, we'll see what happens!    >:D 
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 08:15:38 PM »
Buzz again!  Decided to check my email to see if Best Buy had a reply yet.  They basically apologized for my frustration etc...then said they felt bad I wasn't a "satisfied customer".  They finished by saying they were forwarding it to someone for "internal review"  Hmmmmm..........interesting!!   ;D  I guess "internal review" means they are scared we'll all go to MPI or Amazon and save $10-20  in the process.   >:D

"
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 08:58:45 PM »
Nope, not a typo.   :(  I called yesterday to complain and today they sent me an email that basically said, "too bad, that's our price!"   >:(

They did this back in February too

I don't doubt your word, but I'm in Best Buy at least once a month, I always check the DS DVDs, and I've never seen them in the store for more than $43.99. It's just too bizarre that they'd think they could get anyone to pay $69.99 online. But I guess they might hope that some people won't know the list price and won't check other sites to compare prices.  :-

The funny thing is that Barnes & Noble Online is almost the opposite. The stores don't overcharge, but the prices on all their DVDs are the suggested list price - yet on their Web site they can be much cheaper. For example, the DS DVDs are $59.99 in stores, but between $45.58 and $51.28 online. Also, I've bought CDs for $10.78 online that are $17.99 in the store. I don't understand that set up either.  [hdscrt]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 02:50:41 PM »
You're correct about the in-store prices, those *used* to be the online prices too, which is why I'm so pissed and frustrated w/them.   >:(

They are full of ca-ca when they talk about the prices on Amazon being "outside the scope of their pricing policy."  What the heck does that mean anyway?   :-

Checked my email this morning and they are just incredible!  They really want to lose my business I guess.  They are claiming that they reserve the right to adjust prices and that it's not illegal to overcharge.  HUH!??   :o  I always thought price gouging was illegal.  And that's really what they're doing folks.  The show is no longer on Sci-Fi and they are probably getting a lot of orders for the DVD's.  I know I started ordering them after the show left the air.

Anyway, I'm tired of arguing w/them, I want my DVD's so I'm going Amazon.  But I did want to let other fans know what was up and that you DON'T have to pay $70 for these things guys, you can pay $60 at MPI or $50 on Amazon.  Don't let Best Buy rip you guys off!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 07:10:42 PM »
you DON'T have to pay $70 for these things guys, you can pay $60 at MPI or $50 on Amazon.

And as we mentioned in a recent thread, the DS DVDs can also be purchased for anywhere from $41.87 to $43.19 at www.deepdiscountdvd.com. And if you're willing to wait 5 to 10 business days, you can even get free shipping (I normally get what I order from them in 4 to 6 regular days).

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 06:37:54 AM »
The most recent price at Amazon.com is $41.39 per DVD if you pre-order.  No charge for shipping if you use the SuperSaver.  The older ones go up in price. 

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2004, 12:07:37 AM »
About Amazon...and I'd noticed it before, but, since I'm so busy, I forgot to mention it.

Today at work, I found a money order receipt for something?? I'd ordered from Amazon from early April.

I went online to check recent orders, blocks for  :-* Tommy  :-* and it says not shipped.

I e-mailed them, and they said, oh yes, we don't know when they're coming back in stock....

And finally, it says if I want to log back in, etc, I can cancel my order.....

I mention this because last time I ordered from Amazon, it too got mysteriously lost until I went online.

I don't know about anyone else; but when I'm surfing, I may order some little fru-fru and not think about it (until it arrives or the Visa bill does >:D )

So....pay attention fellow A-Mart shoppers!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2004, 02:04:32 AM »
Howdy folks,
If you are going to shop at Amazon, please click through the link on the restoration site. Amazon gives the site a percentage of all sales that are made when people click over...This cost you nothing and comes out of Amazons pockets and helps to pay the websites operating costs...

cheers,
Darren
www.nightofdarkshadows.com

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 03:40:31 PM »
Darren wrote:
If you are going to shop at Amazon, please click through the link on the restoration site. Amazon gives the site a percentage of all sales that are made when people click over...

Or you could use the Amazon icon on BOBUBAS's site as his site too will get a % of sales and it helps keep his wonderful "Dark Shadows Events" site going too.   :D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Best Buy Update
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 03:44:28 PM »
Well, still no change from Best Buy, guess they are bound and determined to lose our business!   >:(

I did find on the Circuit City website that they are selling the DVD's for $49.99.  So you all have 3 alternatives--Circuit City, Amazon and Deep Discount.com.   ;)

Happy shopping!   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"If ya feel it, SIT it!"

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
    • View Profile