Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Mozilla Firefox
« on: January 08, 2006, 02:53:31 AM »
MB, I know you are a fan of Mozilla & Firefox, so I hope you won't mind answering this question because I don't know whom else to ask, and I can't find any nformation on Mozilla.com addressing what I think is a pretty basic question.

I thought it might be time to upgrade my old version of the Firefox browser that I have had since 2004.  (At one point I was glad I hadn't changed because I read that there turned out to be a serious security issue with the newer version of Firefox that wasn't a problem with the older version!)

Anyway, there is NO information on Mozilla.com to tell me:

1.  do I need to remove the old version of Firefox from my computer first?

2.  and, if so, is there any way to copy or transfer my "Favorites" from the old program and install them on the new browser?

Thanks if you are able to either answer these questions or direct me somewhere else where I might find the answers!  I thought Mozilla used to have an FAQ, but I don't see one on their current website.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Mozilla Firefox
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 03:12:40 AM »
I recently installed Firefox for the first time and I love it - it automatically imported my favorites from Explorer, which I'm sure it will do for older versions of Firefox - and I seriousley doubt you'll have to remove the old version, it will probably remove/overwrite it itself.

Hope that helps -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 03:28:24 AM »
Hi Vlad:  Here is a link with directions on uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox.  You don't have to uninstall but it is recommended.  It will be less buggy if you do. Your booksmarks are located at:

C:- WindowsApplication DataMozillaFirefoxProfiles<nameprobablyawierdone>

If you just click on this directory, you'll get to a file called "bookmarks.html".  Generally, I just back this up by copying it to my desktop.  Sometimes I create a new profile because the old one gets really cluttered up.  Then I'll put back my bookmarks.  You can also "export" them to a file where you know where it is on your computer.

Hopefully, that helps.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 12:28:16 AM »
Thanks, that gives me the information I need.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995