Author Topic: Mozilla Question  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Mozilla Question
« on: July 29, 2004, 08:43:01 PM »
I put Mozilla dotcom, and it told me about Mozilla AND Firefox.

Firefox is to Mozilla (or, Mozilla is to Firefox).....please help.

Should a duffus like me try to get away from Windows?

Is Mozilla the user-friendlies (read duffiest) way to go?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Mozilla Question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 09:21:14 PM »
Patti, my husband switched me over from Internet Explorer to Mozilla.  If I, the forum's Official Technophobe Luddite can use Mozilla, ANYONE can use it.  The discernable differences are very minor.  ;)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 10:33:10 PM »
I've been using Mozilla for at least a couple of years, and I've recently begun browsing with Firefox. There's little discernible difference between the two, though it looks like Firefox still needs a little tweaking (such as being able to alphabetize Bookmark folders, which doesn't seem to work quite right, and occasionally, pop-up ads get through, which I've never had happen with "regular" Mozilla). Both allow tabbed browsing and have a toolbar for links, which are particular favorites of mine. Firefox is supposed to be the "cutting edge of security," which is why I've been trying it out. It also has a built-in Google search window. For outward appearances (the "skins"), Mozilla is indistinguishable from Netscape; Firefox more closely resembles Internet Explorer. You can, however, download different skins to change the default appearances.

The Mozilla email window is easy to use and you don't have to worry about malware opening up on its own (not that you should be one iota less security conscious). Only major visible difference from Outlook Express is that if you use more than one email address, you have a separate set of folders for each one (inbox, sent, drafts, etc.), rather than a master set that each address loads into.

I have Norton Antivirus and The Cleaner Antitrojan, and they work fine with Mozilla and Firefox.

Some scripted special effects and music don't function on Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape, but to me that means diddly squat. For example, on my own Web site, if you visit with Internet Explorer, you'll get a Dark Shadows music clip, and a fade-out between each page on the site. With these other browsers, you get blessed silence and a normal transition rather than a fade. (I figure if someone's brave enough to browse the Web with Internet Explorer, what the heck, I'll give 'em a little something harmless for their chutzpah.)  ;D

--M
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 04:44:09 AM »
I have Netscape 7.1 which is also supposed to have the tabbed browsing.  I think one day I got a couple of tabs, but I don't know how.  I usually just open up additional windows if I want to keep more than one item around at a time.

Could you give some directions about how to use the tabs?
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 05:00:56 AM »
Use Control-T to open a new tab, or hold Control and click on a link in an existing page to open it in a new tab.

--M

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 08:24:22 AM »
Thank you, Mark.  I tried the Control and click the link and it opens a new page (the same way I usually do with a left-click and then click "open in new window").  But it wasn't a tab.  I don't know if it makes much difference.

I then tried the Control-T and that did create new tabs.  I'll try it and see how it goes.
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 12:33:44 PM »
Hm, Netscape may be a tad different. With Mozilla and Firefox, press control Control and click a link, it opens a new tab; press shift and click a link, it opens a whole new window.

--M

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2004, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand Mozilla with/versus Firefox....

Patti

Do I have to download Firefox first to get/have Mozilla?
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2004, 06:57:16 PM »
Patti,

You don't need to download both.  :)  Firefox is only for browsing the Web. Mozilla also browses the Web, but it has several extra features for things like e-mail and HTML editing. I'm assuming you're already using other software for your e-mail - so, if you don't want to make a change there and simply want a different Web browser, all you really need to download/install is Firefox.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 05:03:12 PM »
Patti,

Being a novice at all of this too, I would suggest trying Firefox.  I usually say I have Mozilla,  but I guess it's really Firefox, which is a more stripped down version of Mozilla I guess.  It seemed quicker and easier to set up.

However, as Mark R. mentioned, Firefox doesn't work as well for some things.  So I tend to use Internet Explorer (IE) if I'm going directly to a site that I feel is safe (like this one).  Although, I do have that annoying flickering IE icon, and neon-flickering words "Welcome to the Forum", in the lower left corner when I'm in IE.  (It's not the icon or the words that bother me, it's the flickering.)  When  I access the site with Firefox, there is no Icon and no "Welcome to the Forum" in the lower left corner.

With some sites the type size gets really tiny in Firefox, which makes it harder to read.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 03:41:11 AM »
With some sites the type size gets really tiny in Firefox, which makes it harder to read.

I don't know about Firefox, but I imagine it has a place to adjust font sizes.  And, I don't know if it's universal or not, but it seems in general that holding the Control key and pressing + or - will increase or decrease the size.
Josette

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 05:53:13 AM »
I've never noticed any font size issues with Firefox. I haven't found any difference between its display and regular Mozilla, as best as I can remember. But yes, if one wishes to enlarge or reduce the fonts, use control + or control - to change them (or "View -> Text Zoom").

--M

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 09:28:20 PM »
When  I access the site with Firefox, there is no Icon and no "Welcome to the Forum" in the lower left corner.

You wouldn't see the icon with Firefox because that's some sort of issue with your copy of IE - but you should definitely be seeing the "Welcome to the Forum" message using Firefox.