Author Topic: Multiple Colors  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Multiple Colors
« on: September 02, 2002, 10:34:36 AM »
I generally don't have time to try to do too much fancy stuff.  I marvel at these people who write with every letter a different color and all sorts of moving smilies, etc.  I can't imagine how they do it.

Anyway, one time recently, for a birthday greeting, I tried to make each word or each letter a different color.  When I did preview, a couple of them showed the code instead of appearing in the appropriate color.  I couldn't find anything wrong in the code, but finally gave up and did something simpler.

A little while ago I tied to do the one word Congratulations and decided to try each letter a different color.  I chose the larger size and put the cursor between the two codes.  Chose a color, moved the cursor betwen the two codes and typed the first letter, went on to another color and the second letter, etc.  At the end I chose pink and did three exclamation marks.

I tried preview first.  The whole word came out fine, with each letter a different color (one letter couldn't be seen, so I decided to change the color), but, at the end, the code for pink etc. showed instead of the three pink exlamation marks.

I edited it.  First, I just eliminated the exclamation marks.  When I went back to preview, the S, the final letter, now showed the code instead of the colored S, while the rest of the word remained fine.  It seems that it won't take that last letter.

I re-inserted the 3 pink exclamations and, again, they showed the code while the S from the word was now fixed.

I copied my code.  I'll try putting it here - I think you have a way of checking the actual code to see if you can figure out what I am doing wrong.

--------

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Josette

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Colors
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2002, 06:01:28 PM »
I have had the same problem Josette..  never could figure out what the problem was.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2002, 10:35:55 PM »
I see what the problem is.  The code has no spacing to break it up and is so long that the system is arbitrarily adding a space, as in this
Code: [Select]
[c olor=Pink]!!![/color]and any spacing added to YaBB tags will cause them to not be read.  In your example above, you can see that it added a space before the slash mark.

It continues to happen even when I omit as many as 3 more letters in addition to the exclamation marks and after moving some of the code (both size tags and the first and last color tags) to the lines above and below.

If you have your heart set on congratulating someone in multiple colors, the only suggestion I can make is that you shorten it:

CONGRATS!!!

With longer single words you may have to start typing the tags onto separate lines, but regardless of that, CONGRATULATIONS!!! has way too many characters to make it work.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2002, 11:00:46 PM »
Here's another idea.  The code will be short enough to work if you change color after every 4th letter:

CONG
RATULATIONS!

If that interests you, here's the
Code: [Select]
[size=4][color=Red]
CONG[/color][color=Yellow]RATU[/color][color=LimeGreen]LATI[/color][color=Orange]ONS!
[/color][/size]

Be mindful of the length of the color names you use because even this is pushing it.  That blank line in the code isn't necessary, btw; the system added it.

My pool is calling to me now, so I hope this helped. :D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2002, 12:24:50 AM »
but regardless of that, CONGRATULATIONS!!! has way too many characters to make it work.

Yes, the forum's system has a nervous breakdown trying to change the colors of all those different letters. I doubt the writers of YaBB ever envisioned someone wanting to change the color of so many letters in an individual word or phrase. ;)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2002, 05:13:49 AM »
Thank you all!

I was amazed, though, to see CandleLighter complaining of the same thing, since I think you are primarily the one who does it all the time!!  I keep wondering if there is some shortcut trick to doing it.  Last night, since that one word (!) was all I was posting, I decided to try it, but normally, I can't imagine taking all the time to do something that involved.
Josette

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2002, 09:33:08 AM »
the way I finally did it was to keep adding . . . (dot dot dots) between Happy Birthday and the !!!.... guess the dots  eventually spaced it out okay so it would work... and it did take a lot of time..lol   But I was waiting for tripwire to come online so played around with it.. when I finally got it to work.. I copied it and pasted it into a wordpad document and saved it.. now whenever someone has a birthday and I want to use it again.. just copy and paste it.. doesnt take but a minute then

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2002, 07:06:55 PM »
Wow copy and paste someone else i have to learn!
tried happy birthday too had same problem with that space first thought it was me then realized it was something else! does take up time!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV