Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0370  (Read 855 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0370
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
Robservations - #370

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0370

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:10 PM »
Here comes Josette, in the flesh! Love her hat and outfit. I think she has her aunt's taste in clothes, but not her snobbishness which must have come as a great relief to Joshua. Vicki is amazed at her resemblance to Maggie....this would have been a good opportunity storywise for her to start thinking that maybe back in the present, Burke's insinuations about Barnabas possibly being involved in Maggie's disapperance maybe wasn't so far off the mark after all. But the writers apparently didn't want to go there.

It's too bad though that eventually [spoiler] Josette will end up turning against Vicki, vowing to help Reverend Trask get her convicted and hung. Ironic, too since her beloved, Barnabas, was on Vicki's side from the beginning and will stay that way through most of the storyline). [/spoiler]

I like Jeremiah and Vicki's interactions. Glad to hear that he has more influence over Joshua than Abigail. However, [spoiler] once Jeremiah is gone, Abigail will have Joshua wrapped around her finger, especially where Trask is concerned. [/spoiler]

It's strange to see David Ford without his beard. But I guess they didn't want Andre to look too identical to Sam.

Barnabas goes to apologize to Angelique in her room. He should have stayed away. Not only did he nearly let himself get carried away when they kissed, it just egged her on more. Not that she needed any encouragement but perhaps she would not have lost her cool so much and might have come to her senses about trying to choke him.

Josette flies into Barnabas' arms once they lay eyes on each other. Now that I think of it, that probably set Angelique off more than anything. It is ever so hard to fathom the reasons and workings inside a witch's head.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:31:31 PM »
Until this point, the writers have emphasized Vicki's feeling that there is a strong connection between her and Josette. Several other people have noted how much Vicki resembles her, too. But once Vicki arrives in 1795, that connection and resemblance are never mentioned again. Instead the main story line is about how Barnabas became a vampire.

Angelique is downstairs in the drawing room, where she has no business being. Vicki finds her there and offers her friendship, seeing that they're both servants and far from home, but Angelique has other priorities and leaves. Vicki then makes herself comfortable to rescue Sarah's embroidery, even though she (V.) has already been told at least once that she shouldn't be in the drawing room either.

The lovely, sweet-natured Josette arrives, dressed for traveling but at the height of fashion in fine silk and lace. Love her hat! I always liked André much better than Sam Evans.

We get the famous conversation in extremely fractured French! Josette's fondness for Angelique is certainly genuine. Vicki is horrified, because she knows this lovely young woman's terrible fate, but Josette flies into Barnabas's eager arms. Angelique watches, ablaze with anger and hate. [spoiler]But no tears will ever fall from her glaring eyes.[/spoiler]

Instead of obeying Josette and unpacking her no doubt many fine gowns, Angelique hurries up to her own humble room. Its sloping ceiling indicates that it is right up under the eaves of the roof. As she casts her first spell at Collinwood, Angelique’s true nature is fully revealed. She is a witch with unknown but obviously great supernatural power. However, she is either inexperienced or has not yet learned to harness her abilities--or to consider the consequences of her actions….

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 06:41:36 AM »
We are told that time is suspended and it is 1795.  History was twisted to conceal. A convienant way to disregard what had gone on under previous writers. Vickie is surprised Josette resembles Maggie. She seemed to be expecting Josette to resemble herself.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:29:55 AM »
Lara Parker is certainly getting her fair share of close-ups.

Whose portrait is hanging above the mantel? I keep forgetting to ask. Do we know? Does that portrait end up at Collinwood in the future?

I wonder if the audience knew Angelique was a witch before it was revealed on air? She certainly wastes no time getting down to it. Why so many women named their girls for Angelique is beyond me.

Vicki’s makeup is different. I find it interesting that Jeremiah is drawn to Vicki though I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I know she ought to be damn glad he is on her side and able to save her skin at a moments notice, like when Josette calls her out for staring at her.

Is Angelique’s room a reworking of the room that Bill Malloy appeared in to Vicki at Collinwood? As tucked away under the eaves as it is, I am fascinated with it. That they took the time to create a non-square room is amazing to me and as a viewer I appreciate it. It may be small but it’s quite nice as we see it behind the closing credits.

Ange saying I will always be closer to you than you think – now that’s an understatement, lol.

Not into David Ford’s awkward interpretation of Andre as yet. I guess it takes time to get comfortable with a new role – maybe it’s me needing the time to adjust to a familiar face in a new role.

I can’t help but wonder if we are supposed to try and wrap our minds around how it is possible that the ‘67 counterparts to the ‘95 characters can look alike by trying to reconcile the two characters. I’m sitting here wondering if there is any way Burke could be related to the Collins. Can the bloodlines get so polluted that the future Devlin would not know he was of Collins lineage. I’m sitting here wondering if Evans is a French name, lol. I wonder if it is known what the thinking was behind using the same company of actors – like, was it sort of a gimmick? It is kind of fun waiting for the next familiar face to pop up and wonder who they will be.

I didn't remember all this witchcraft happening so soon. The story is still moving along at a good pace which is to be expected I guess. I wonder what new character will show up tomorrow? Even though we finally get to meet Josette, Angelique stole the episode.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:15:51 PM »
I always thought Angelique's room was a reworking of parts of the cottage, with the sloping ceiling added. Certainly the fireplace is from the cottage and is much too big for a servant's room.

I don't have the DVDs or videos, so I don't know whose portrait is above the fireplace. Anybody else?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 02:12:47 AM »
Wow, I can't believe I didn't pick up on the cottage fireplace.

I got a kick out of the spinning wheel. I guess when Ange runs out of choking scarfs she can spin up some new ones, lol.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »
Funny, dom!  [snow_smiley]

If Joshua was truly a Patriot (as the writers seem to imply), maybe Naomi and Abigail did their own spinning and weaving rather than buy cloth imported from Britain. It was the patriotic thing to do.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 04:43:08 PM »
Whose portrait is hanging above the mantel? I keep forgetting to ask. Do we know? Does that portrait end up at Collinwood in the future?

I don't think they ever mention whose portrait it is. And I'm pretty sure we never saw it before this. And it's quite possible we never see it again. I honestly don't remember it ever showing up anywhere else. And if that is the case, it's weird because they seem to recycle all the other portraits.

I wonder if the audience knew Angelique was a witch before it was revealed on air?

Thankfully spoilers didn't go around back then like they do today. And when someone new came on a show it took about a month before there would be anything about them in the various daytime magazines.

Ah, for the good ol' days when surprises weren't ruined before they'd even taken place.  ::sigh::