Author Topic: Price of painting - Leviathan  (Read 233 times)

Offline McTrooper

• NEW ASCENDANT
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
    • Fan Made Lego Comics - Clay and Dona
Price of painting - Leviathan
« on: May 02, 2022, 01:53:36 AM »
888  . . .
 . . .
Where did you find the painting? asks Julia. The Anderson Auction House in Rockport, he says. How much do you want? asks Julia. Philip and Megan exchange a hopeful smile. Julia asks, is it for sale?

Yes, says Philip--$300.  I'll take it, declares Julia. Megan is delighted, Carolyn shocked. Julia takes out her pen and checkbook and requests the phone number of the auction house.
 . . .
 . . .

Carolyn still looks like she's been hit over the head.  When Julia asks, are you ready? Carolyn responds, "Yes, for practically anything!" ($300 was a small fortune in 1969, folks, which is why Carolyn is expressing such shock.)
 . . .

I’m hesitantly heading into the Leviathan storyline (which I think of fondly as it was the first major story line I saw in reruns during college [University]).

I’ve been watching the show on Prime with commercials a bit, but still reading Robservations.

*** Anyway $300 using a on line Inflation Calculator
is supposed to be like spending $2,478.48

I guess that’s a lot to spend on a landscape, but I already know what Julia’s character may suspects about the  painting is true. 

Just thought this might be an interesting thought.
I’m not sure how reliable those calculators are, but I definitely didn’t expect the difference was that significant.

Barnabas: Your hair smells like mint today.
Julia: Yeah, I gargled today.
Barnabas: Huh???!!!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Price of painting - Leviathan
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 03:28:45 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing, McTrooper.  [easter_smiley]

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Price of painting - Leviathan
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 04:31:18 AM »
Great point about the relative cost of that landscape Dr. Hoffman bought from the Todds for $300.00 in 1969. It got me to thinking about the value of other apparently rare items we saw on DS; how much was that seemingly ubiquitous silver-filigreed pen worth, that caused poor Roger Collins so much anxiety and “agita”? And, considering how the darned thing continued to work so flawlessly after over 170 years, how much would Josette’s music box go for today in 2022?

That ornately hand-carved box that Barnabas gave to Phillip and Megan Todd was even more ubiquitous in Collinsport than Burke Devlin’s silver-filigreed pen; we’d see it on a table in the hallway outside of David Collins’ bedroom in Collinwood (I think?), on the mantle over the fireplace in the Old House drawing rooms and the d@mned may have also been in poor Victor Flagler’s house, when Barnabas and Dr. Hoffman visited Cliff at his home during their brief visit to Collinsport, circa 1995. Maybe many residents of Collinsport owned exact replicas of that distinctive Leviathan “Naga” box in much the same way that people own exact replicas of that kitschy ladies’ stocking leg-lamp, featured in the 1983 film, “A Christmas Story” today?

Of course, the most-cherished and, no doubt, highest-valued item on DS has to be Barnabas’ silver wolf’s head cane. It was probably worth as much as all of Naomi Collins’ extensive jewelry collection and even Nicholas Blair’s exquisitely-tailored (and, presumably only) light-grey suit he wore exclusively while dating Maggie and master-minding the Adam and Eve Progeny, Satanic Take-Over-The-World-Plot

I think it’s safe to say that the folks at PBS’ “Antiques Roadshow” program would have an absolute field day, appraising the value of all these rare and unique DS items! And, what about if Lovejoy, that renowned British antiques dealer, ever paid a visit to Collinwood? Lovejoy was a divvy,” a person with the unique ability to recognize exceptional and valuable items. He could literally spend countless hours in both the East and West wings of Collinwood, perusing all of the curios and artifacts, the Collins family had accumulated over the centuries. If Lovejoy had happened to discover the Parallel Time room in the East Wing with all of its opulent furnishings and possessions, I wonder how the usually-unflappable Lovejoy would react to seeing that cornucopia of valuable items and not being able to get in there and handle all of those treasures? Oy vey!

In these days of rampant inflation, I believe that the current members of the Collins family, could easily weather the current uncertain economic times by hocking that statue of the bare-chested shoveler in the Collinsport foyer or even Angelique’s striking portrait for a couple of bucks at the local Collinsport flea market!

(and presumably only) light-grey suit!