Author Topic: "Return to Collinwood--Collecting Dark Shadows!"  (Read 2359 times)

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
"Return to Collinwood--Collecting Dark Shadows!"
« on: November 13, 2002, 04:42:16 AM »
Hi, everyone! Just a posting to let the board know that my DS-related article--"Return to Collinwood--Collecting Dark Shadows" (in AUTOGRAPH COLLECTOR) should be hitting the stands right about...NOW! Check it out! Pam Anderson is on the cover, but Part I of my article is the lead!

I'm VERY anxious to find out what you think!

Thanks - Rod

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Return to Collinwood--Collecting Dark Shadows!"
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 06:30:57 AM »

Hey Yendor!

Just now finding time to post today!  I picked up a copy on my way to work this morning!  A very well written and informative article on DS celeb autographs, photos and fan clubs! Plus a delightful trip down memory lane and what it was like to be an original fan way back when!  Especially liked Jerry Lacey's autograph to the girl from Maine!  You're right! It showed that DS celebs really read the fan mail and cared about the fans their pics and autographs were going to!  The pic of Humbert was a wonderful surprise and showed how much more handsome he is without all the stage make-up!

You did a fantastic job and I can't wait for Part 2 in the next issue!  

For all you Twilight Zone fans, there's also a real neat article on TZ celeb autographs!  This is a really neat magazine and I want to Thank Yendor, not only for the great DS article, but for introducing me to such a cool magazine!  I purchased my copy at Barnes and Noble so run right out, when you can, and pick one up!  You'll be glad you did!

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja ;)
[/shadow]
[/size]  
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 12:10:42 PM »
Wow! This is great news Yendor!  I have to head out to a few stores later on in the day so Im going to make a stop at Barnes & Noble to pick up a copy.  Can't wait to read it! :-)

Thanks Minja for the info. I love the Twilight Zone too so this is great!
"Calamity Jane"

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 05:33:07 PM »
Thanks for the kind kudos, guys! Part I really is the "set-up" for Part II, which is two pages longer! Part II will also contain a tribute to Dennis Patrick. Minja, I'm glad you like that photo of Humbert--quite a dashing fellow, eh? Some of those photos have survived for over 30 years, including the Jerry Lacy shot. What did you think of KLS's letter to my little sister? It was actually written on purple stationery. I remember when she received it, and how absolutely thrilled she was (June of 1968!). Part II will also contain comments from Dee Kearney and Robert Finocchio, two vets from the DS movement (there'll also be a few snapshots of them with their respective "stars" - Louis Edmonds and Diana Millay.

I'm very anxious to hear your comments, so keep 'em comin'!

Thanks - Rod

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2002, 10:18:53 AM »
Hi Yendor,
 I went and picked up the magazine today and I was really impressed with your article! It was so well written and really told what it was like to be a DS fan back then.  I also liked the fact that it told how well the DS Stars treat their fans and how they personally replied to all their fan mail.  Very informative!

I also loved all the photo's!  Jerry Lacy looked great & very handsome too!
I just loved the one of Humbert Allen Astredo, and you're right, he is dashing!  I also thought he looked years younger without all the stage make-up.
Dennis Patrick looked wonderful and very sexy I might add!  I loved that picture of him.

I also saw the letter that KLS wrote to your sister.  What a sweet letter and I could imagine how thrilled your sister was to receive it!!

I thought that was cute about the phone call to Dennis Patrick!  Being only 14 back then I could sense the nervousness that you must have felt.  But after speaking with Dennis, Im sure you felt relieved.  What a nice guy!!

Thanks for telling me about this magazine Yendor.  There were so many interesting things to look at.  

They had a very interesting article on the Twilight Zone and also interviewed many of the cast members who played on the show.  

And if that wasn't enough I nearly flipped out when I saw the back cover "Profiles In History" regarding Patsy Cline!!  She was my favorite Female Country Singer of all time so this was a real suprise!!

Thanks again Rod for the great article and now that Im hooked on this magazine I'll be looking forward to part 2.  :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2002, 07:41:31 PM »
Yes, Cassandra, isn't AUTOGRAPH COLLECTOR great? It's chock-full of nostalgic articles aimed at people like us (Baby Boomers and beyond). I, too, loved the Twilight Zone article; it had a unique spin--what with the actors writing their episode lines on notecards. Wasn't it great to see Jonathan Harris in one of the photos?

This is the third article I've written for AC. The first, which was published in the May 2001 issue, was called "A Boomer's Tale" and basically encapsulated my experience as an autograph collector "way back when." I also had a two-parter earlier on Joan Fontaine, who was a Hollywood contemporary of Joan Bennett's.  The Dark Shadows article has always bubbling in the back of my mind...but I didn't have enough photos to accompany it. Thanks to friends and family--and the participation of Jim Pierson, of Dan Curtis Productions--I was able to get MORE than enough! Part II will also chronicle my meeting with David Selby, that took place in August of 1976!

I have two more AC articles planned...but they're only ideas, right now.  I'll let everyone know, as they develop!  In the meantime, I'd love to hear all your comments about "Return to Collinwood!"

Rod

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2002, 08:51:50 PM »
Hi Rod,

I also enjoyed your article immensely!  It seems that many of the available DS articles and reviews contain errors (so much so that you sometimes wonder if the author even watched the show!) and it's refreshing to read a perspective from someone who has a great deal of past and present knowledge about the show.  And even better, your article is very entertaining and contains a personal touch that makes it stand apart even further--  I especially enjoyed reading about the steps from joining your first DS club to getting Dennis Patrick's permission to start his.  I'm an original watcher, yet I knew nothing of fandom until 1996, so it's fun to get a second chance at experiencing what early fandom was like through your articles.

And as the intro stated, that's a mighty impressive collection of autographed photos!

I'd also like to praise the magazine.  When you first talked about it and I checked to see if my local newsstand carried it, I ended up buying last month's as well, even after I'd already read one of the articles (about the top 10 errors that a/c make) on their website.

Looking forward to next month's installment,
Midnite

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2002, 09:16:42 PM »
Thanks, Midnite! I stumbled across Autograph Collector about two years ago at my local Barnes and Noble. As a freelance writer, I still collect autographs and wanted to see if there were any values listed in the magazine. Well, I was hooked! After a while, I thought...hmmm, maybe I should try my hand at writing an article for them! All it took was an idea, an e-mail to the editor, and voila! I was writing my first AC article!

Incidentally, that first article chronicled my meeting with Marie Wallace at Hampton Playhouse (Hampton, NH) in July 1969. And because of that article, guess who contact me...none other than Marie herself!  We chatted on the phone and had a good laugh. She's very charming. I just completed an interview with her that I'd like to post on this board, if that's ok (I also have one with KLS!).

My favorite articles to write are ones with the "personal" touch. My memory is very good (though I just hit the big 5-0 on November 2nd); we'll see how long it lasts!  

Thanks again! I appreciate all the nice remarks. Really, the article is my tribute to not only the show and its actors and artisans, but to us--the fans--those who have kept DS alive. We deserve the spotlight!

Rod

Connie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2002, 01:34:24 PM »
Umm.....HELP!
I couldn't find the magazine in Barnes & Noble, and B. Dalton and Waldenbooks didn't have it either.
Has anyone gotten it at Borders?  Just thought I'd check before I go traipsing over there.

-CLC :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2002, 07:11:06 PM »
Connie, do you have a news stand in your area?  If you don't find this one at your Borders you might try calling your local comic book store(s) to ask if they carry it or know who does.

If worse comes to worst and you can't find it, please let me know and I'll pick one up for you.

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2002, 07:31:12 PM »
Umm.....HELP!
I couldn't find the magazine in Barnes & Noble, and B. Dalton and Waldenbooks didn't have it either.
Has anyone gotten it at Borders?  Just thought I'd check before I go traipsing over there.

I got mine at Borders here in good ol' Bangor, ME, just last week.

petofi

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2002, 07:56:25 PM »
Connie....if you have more than one Borders in your area, don't assume that because one doesn't have it, the other won't also.  There are 2 Borders near me, almost exactly the same distance from my house, in opposite directions.  Going strictly by what they carry you would never guess they are 2 branches of the same store....books, magazines, calanders, even the skills of the employees....are all very different.  ::)

If it's a trip, you might try calling them first and asking if they carry it....but make sure you're talking to someone who works in Periodicals or they won't know what the heck they're talking about!

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2002, 11:20:11 PM »
Umm.....HELP!

Connie, did you look for it in the "Hobbies & Crafts" section?  That's where I finally found it! (thought it might have been under the Entertainment section at first)

I had trouble finding it at Barnes & Noble also. I searched all over for it and then finally went to the information desk to ask for some help.  Would you believe they couldn't even find the magazine in the their computer system?!

Finally the manager came out and offered to go and help me find it himself (he was no help either) because I had finally located it myself hidden in the BACK of all the other magazines.  The article was great and worth looking for.  Hope you find it!
"Calamity Jane"

Nancy

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2002, 01:43:02 AM »

Connie, did you look for it in the "Hobbies & Crafts" section?  That's where I finally found it! (thought it might have been under the Entertainment section at first)

I had trouble finding it at Barnes & Noble also. I searched all over for it and then finally went to the information desk to ask for some help.  Would you believe they couldn't even find the magazine in the their computer system?!

Finally the manager came out and offered to go and help me find it himself (he was no help either) because I had finally located it myself hidden in the BACK of all the other magazines.  The article was great and worth looking for.  Hope you find it!

That's where I found the magazine today - at Barnes & Noble.  It could not be found at Borders where I live.

Nancy

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2002, 04:30:01 AM »
After trying my Borders twice only to find they still have the November, but not the December issue I gave up and bought my copy online and got it within a couple days of ordering. Go to www.AutographCollector.com then click on Autograph Collector at the bottom. Click again on Back Issues and Order Information. Though it is the current issue, it is still listed and available for purchase.

Bette
Life works if you let it