Author Topic: A Roger Davis Twilight Zone today (spoilers)  (Read 1521 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
A Roger Davis Twilight Zone today (spoilers)
« on: November 05, 2002, 12:55:12 AM »
I understand that he did a couple of them. I don't remember either, but was way impressed with the one today. He was the usual raging idiot, only younger. (Did casting directors say "We have a role for someone who yells ALL the time, let's get Davis!"?)

Young rich girl is engaged to young rich man. Mommy and Daddy love the fiancee. Davis enters as the rejected former boyfriend/stalker. EVERYONE hates him except maybe the rich young girl. Fast forward 20+ years, girl is embittered alcoholic who married the wrong guy and blames Daddy for it. Unseen hubby has squandered all the money and they are going to lose the mansion.

I'm sitting there thinking "Man, the attitudes toward what true love is have certainly changed in the last 30-40 years, nowadays NOONE would think that raging maniac could be anyone's better choice for husband"....when Roger Davis enters as the husband from hell! It was nice to see they had the dynamics right after all.

Unfortunately, DC and writers DID seem to think the chronically angry man was actually romantic. At least for poor Vicky who got to be engaged to both Burke AND Jeff/Peter.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Re: A Roger Davis Twilight Zone today (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2002, 01:19:58 AM »
Darn it!  Wish I had taped that Twilight Zone ep! Sounds like a good one.

I know what you mean about how the angry young man was often portrayed as a viable romantic hero on DS.  Look how almost ALL the men on the show treated their women!  Guess they weren't big on depicting 'healthy' relationships back in the day, LOL!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Latisha

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Catcam.tv
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2002, 02:53:46 AM »
Is that the TZ where the woman is riding her horse, chasing herself (also riding a horse), screaming, trying to tell herself not to pick the LOSER?  I love that one.
Latisha

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2002, 03:49:13 AM »
Darn it!  Wish I had taped that Twilight Zone ep! Sounds like a good one.

I don't know your time zone, but it's being repeated at Midnight EDT--my VCRs all set.

Brian

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2002, 04:46:04 AM »
Is that the TZ where the woman is riding her horse, chasing herself (also riding a horse), screaming, trying to tell herself not to pick the LOSER?  I love that one.

Yes, that's it! It really was one of the better ones and I don't think I had ever seen it. I've seen most several times, but there is still the occasional surprise.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2002, 05:22:18 AM »
His hair was great in this episode though Can someone do a count on how many times he touches it in the T Zone!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2002, 05:24:07 AM »
Can someone do a count on how many times he touches it in the T Zone!

LOL!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2002, 10:16:52 AM »
Yup, I saw this one too tonight.  I thought this was a great episode because in the beginning of the show, they try to make the Fiance look like the bad guy and Roger Davis as the poor hopeless romantic who only has the girl's best interests at heart. (yeah right)
And in the end, of course we find out it's none other than "yours truly" who winds up being the head case that this unfortunate young woman wound up marrying!

You know I was wondering when they choose certain actors for a particular role that uses alot of rage, do they automatically think of Roger Davis?  Because in just about every show I've seen him in he's always ready to murder someone and is ranting & raving like there's no tomorrow!  I just saw him in Matlock the other day and as usual he was full of rage and grabbing people by the throats!  These kind of roles must be "normal" for him.[argue]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 10:46:37 AM »
You know I was wondering when they choose certain actors for a particular role that uses alot of rage, do they automatically think of Roger Davis?  Because in just about every show I've seen him in he's always ready to murder someone and is ranting & raving like there's no tomorrow!  I just saw him in Matlock the other day and as usual he was full of rage and grabbing people by the throats!  These kind of roles must be "normal" for him.

You know, Cassandra, it just hit me all of a sudden while reading your post, (even though I've thought about it a lot lately), that I bet this has a lot to do with his agent. I would guess that it's the agent's job to know what roles best suit his client. And for the agent to seek out scripts with said roles and offer them to his client for consideration. This could explain why we see RD in such similar roles, over and over and over and...lol.

I wonder if this could be considered a form of type-casting?

dom

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 06:06:40 PM »
I actually saw this TZ episode approximately a year back and was struck by how thin Roger Davis looked. I was also surprised that he was acting in the very early 60's.  How old is he, anyway? Does anybody know?

Another thing I noticed in this episode, as well as on DS--he just can't keep his hands off the women. I mean, he just doesn't touch them--he literally manhandles them (he did the same to his "sis," while she was lying on a couch!). Rubbing his hands through their hair, etc. And when he kisses them, he gives new meaning to the term "suck face." I can't imagine any actress liking the way he kissed--he practically consumes their head!

Rod

PS:  Did you know that the leading lady in the TZ episode was the first mom on "Eight is Enough?"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2002, 07:51:58 PM »
Being engaged to Burke and Jeff/Peter..............I think Vicki was crying for HELP!   [bnghd]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2002, 10:54:15 AM »
You know, Cassandra, it just hit me all of a sudden while reading your post, (even though I've thought about it a lot lately), that I bet this has a lot to do with his agent. I would guess that it's the agent's job to know what roles best suit his client. And for the agent to seek out scripts with said roles and offer them to his client for consideration. This could explain why we see RD in such similar roles, over and over and over and...lol.

Thanks dom!  I'd say his agent sure knew him well then!;-)

Yendor Wrote:
PS:  Did you know that the leading lady in the TZ episode was the first mom on "Eight is Enough?"

The Actresses name was Diana Hyland.  I thought she looked familiar.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2002, 05:50:12 PM »
The Actresses name was Diana Hyland.  I thought she looked familiar.

She was engaged to john travolta when she died in looking at The internet movie base she also was in an episode of alias smith and jones  two roles with RD
lucky woman!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2002, 05:06:25 AM »
A nineteen year old Sweathog WOULD look pretty good after that! (tee hee... [spin])

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2002, 02:05:38 AM »
A nineteen year old Sweathog WOULD look pretty good after that! (tee hee... [spin])

ROTFL now that was priceless Kuanyin!

jennifer

wasn't his hair lighter blonde in this episode liked he dipped into too much sun-in!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV