Author Topic: O/T Jonathan Harris aka "Dr. Zachary Smith"  (Read 4727 times)

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
O/T Jonathan Harris aka "Dr. Zachary Smith"
« on: November 04, 2002, 07:11:03 AM »
Well, another icon from our youth has passed into Infinity...Jonathan Harris, who won the hearts of Baby Boomers everywhere with his portrayal of "Dr. Smith" on "Lost in Space" died today. I'll have more details soon.  

Harris was a character actor from TV's golden age, having appeared on such genre shows as "The Twilight Zone," "Bewitched," and "Land of the Giants." But it was his towering (and hilarious) role as saboteur/coward Zachary Smith that earned him true immortality.  Rest well, Jonathan.  There'll never be another one like you!

Rod

Oh, the pain...the pain...  

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: O/T Jonathan Harris aka "Dr. Zachary Smith"
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2002, 07:22:08 AM »
How sad Rod he was great in that role!loved that show another person i wanted to be Penny Robinson!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2002, 08:42:49 AM »
My two favorite characters when I was a kid were both portrayed by actors named Jonathan.  Jonathan Frid played Barnabas and Jonathan Harris played Dr. Smith.  I still enjoy watching both actors in the parts that made them famous.  

I got to meet Jonathan Harris in 1986, at the first fan convention that he ever attended.  He was a very warm and funny man, who enjoyed sharing his memories of Lost in Space with the fans.  It was a small event so it made it much more informal.  I will always remember that event as special.

Then last year, I finally had the opportunity to meet Jonathan Frid at the Dalton Georgia show.  I had always wanted to meet him as well and that finally happened thanks to a very good friend online.  

Most kids grow wanting to meet their favorite actors, but few get the chance to do so.  I got to meet 2 of my 3 favorites, and that is really something.  The 3rd was Lucille Ball.

I am saddened to hear of Jonathan Harris' passing, but we were very lucky to have had him with us as long as we did.  From what I have read, elsewhere tonight, he would have been 88 on Nov 6th.  He will be missed, but through reruns and videos, the joy and laughter he brought the kids of the 60's will continue on forever.

Raholt

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2002, 08:51:38 AM »
Thanks for the report, Yendor.

Dr. Smith is my alter ego. My friends just have to hear that I'm on my way to visit and they instantly become Dr. smith clones. It's hysterical. I end up getting dirty looks from their spouses upon my arrival, but it's well worth it. LOL.

I believe it is Gothick who has some fabulous Jonathan Harris anecdotes. (Sorry to put you on the spot, Tuffie darling. It is you, isn't it?)

Lost in Space was thee show when I was in grammar school. Those closed v-neck pullovers were all the rage.

Rest in peace, Dr. Smith/Mr. Harris, and thanks for the warm and wonderful memories...

Dom (Who in grammar school played hopscotch & jump rope with the girls - ah, those were the days...) ;)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2002, 04:50:28 PM »
    Oh the pain! the pain!  I feel like little parts of my childhood just keep slipping away.  Rest in peace, Mr. Harris.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2002, 06:08:09 PM »

I got to meet Jonathan Harris in 1986, at the first fan convention that he ever attended.  He was a very warm and funny man, who enjoyed sharing his memories of Lost in Space with the fans.  It was a small event so it made it much more informal.  I will always remember that event as special.

I am saddened to hear of Jonathan Harris' passing, but we were very lucky to have had him with us as long as we did.  From what I have read, elsewhere tonight, he would have been 88 on Nov 6th.  He will be missed, but through reruns and videos, the joy and laughter he brought the kids of the 60's will continue on forever.

Raholt

Well said Raholt. I met Mr. Harris at a Chiller Theatre Convention on Halloween Day in 1998. I too found him to be very pleasant and willing to share memories of his time on Lost in Space. Below is a photo I took of him on that day four years ago.

Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2002, 10:08:14 PM »
He will be missed, but through reruns and videos, the joy and laughter he brought the kids of the 60's will continue on forever.

I second that, R, and thanks for the photo - I too met Mr. Harris at a show, and that was a thrill!  We are lucky to have got the chance to say 'Thanks' to some of these folks!

aside: did ya'll see the Jackie Gleason TVland interview last night??  Now that was a dude I would have loved to have hugged!!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2002, 10:52:53 PM »
Very sad to hear this news.  I'd come to think of Jonathan Harris as indestructible after seeing him in action at a couple of autograph shows 7 or 8 years ago.  He had the most unflappable energy.  Magnificent.  The voice was still very much there; the way he told his stories was dramatic and beautifully paced, but to the untrained eye, not "practiced" or seeming rehearsed at all.   His dark eyes twinkling with wit and sometimes, delightful malice as he retailed some tidbit or let fly a choice four letter word, invariably coming like a spicy amuse-gueule at the end of some impossibly fruity, flamboyant phrase.  After spending half an hour or so listening to his stories, one had no doubt that he put a hell of a lot of himself into the notorious Zachary Smith.

I'd always assumed that dear Jonathan was in my "family" so was quite surprised when I learned he was married and has a son, I believe, living somewhere. Of course, in the bad old days, everyone got married, and Jonathan would sometimes lob wicked innuendoes in the direction of a wide eyed sweet young thing (who often turned out to be not so sweet) to make sure everyone stayed on their toes.

As I've told several friends, one of my favorite memories is of Jonathan at a 1995 Boston Lost in Space cast appearance.  A break was ending in the autograph signing and they needed all the celebrities there so the signing could start again.  June Lockhart was missing.  Jonathan grabbed the mike and uttered these words, which rolled with exquisite and mellifluous modulation around whatever sports center/shopping mall it was where the show was happening in suburban Boston: "June Lockhart wanted to the podium instanta! Now get your ass up here, honey, pronto!"

I'm not sure she ever forgave him for that.

Gothick

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2002, 01:05:27 AM »
I have a question... Why isn't there news of his passing in my newspaper or on TV?  Sorry, but I don't understand why I can't find any reports about it.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2002, 01:15:29 AM »
A friend of mine was a huge fan of his and somehow became friendly with him.  They were supposed to get together when we were out in Anahiem but their schedules never meshed.  It's too bad.  From what my friend said he was a wonderful and funny man.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2002, 01:19:39 AM »
I couldn't find anything as of yet, either.  But if it is true, I'm in deep mourning.  Lost In Space, along with Dark Shadows, was my favorite show while growing up.  I never missed a Wednesday evening episode.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2002, 01:30:26 AM »
Oh, me too, Gerard.  I was very upset by the news, and I would jump for joy if it turns out to not be true.

I could use some help on this.  Has anyone read this somewhere besides a fan site?  I can't find a thing in the LA Times or NY Times sites or on any of the large entertainment or news sites...

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2002, 01:44:56 AM »
I did see it scroll across the bottom of CNN about an hour ago, as well as the news of Lonnie Donnegan [Rock Island Line, the father of skiffle music, which led to Beatle music......] also passing away today.
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2002, 01:45:28 AM »
The first place I read it was on the Scarlet Street (magazine) board...but I haven't heard anything else, as of yet. I'll keep you posted.

Rod

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2002, 01:48:15 AM »
Hi Midnite,

One of the reports I read said that he just passed this morning (day of the New Moon ... how fitting), which would account for why the big media organs haven't picked it up yet.

About a week or so ago when the late Harry Hay (founder of the Mattachine Society, the Radical Faeries, and more or less grandfather of the Gay Liberation movement) passed over I heard it first from people who knew people who knew him.  The news did not get posted in the national news media until a day later.

Loe,  Gothick