Author Topic: OT/ AN APOLOGY & A GOODBYE  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: OT/ AN APOLOGY & A GOODBYE
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2002, 09:17:13 PM »
I understand. But what does "IM" mean? I can "IM" her? Huh? Does that mean private e-mail? Forgive my ignorance!

It's no problem!  It stands for Instant Message.  On all members' posts, there's a small icon that shows a page with an envelope on top of it.  If you click on the page/envelope that's inside the message of the person you want to contact, it'll open a window with their username already filled in.  Just type your message (subject title is optional), then click Send and it will immediately appear in their message center.  It's not like email, but is very similar to AOL Instant Messenger.

Another way to send an IM is by accessing your own message center via the "Hey, yendor, you have __ new messages, __ are new" under the logo on all the forum pages, then click "New Message" in your message center.  Doing it this way, you need to know the exact user name of the person you're writing; mine, for example, is admin and not Midnite.  There's yet another way to get into your message center-- thru the Info Center on the Home page, but I don't want to confuse you.

BTW, the little envelope that appears next to the IM icon in some posts provides a way to send emails.  But not everyone has it because many choose to keep their email addresses private.  I hope that's not too much info all at once.  :)

BTW, you'll find that you have at least 1 unread message in your message center.  It's a note from me that I sent you on Halloween.  :D

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2002, 09:39:13 PM »
Forgive my being a butt-insky, but as a matter of course for online boards, I find that simply ignoring the postings of individuals that are offensive, insulting, boring, or otherwise inappropriate is usually sufficient to keep my blood pressure down and avoid wasting time and bandwidth. Some people thrive on pushing others' buttons; they're wastes of flesh, as far as I'm concerned, and it's better just to cover up yer buttons than let 'em get to you.

The two-pence of a weary traveler....

--Mark

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2002, 10:27:12 PM »
Forgive my being a butt-insky, but as a matter of course for online boards, I find that simply ignoring the postings of individuals that are offensive, insulting, boring, or otherwise inappropriate is usually sufficient to keep my blood pressure down and avoid wasting time and bandwidth. Some people thrive on pushing others' buttons; they're wastes of flesh, as far as I'm concerned, and it's better just to cover up yer buttons than let 'em get to you.

The two-pence of a weary traveler....

--Mark

Very sage advice Mark ;)

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2002, 10:40:58 PM »
After reading all of this, I have decided I will say goodbye. Life is too short for this nonsense that went on here. I have plenty of other things to do. I will continue to keep Craig Slocum's memory alive through the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. I will provide what I can for the Dark Shadows Festival, but I myself will not be there. I feel it's time to move on. I take pleasure in my family, friends, being involved in my daughter's school, church, and community, which brings me happiness. If anyone cares to write, please e-mail me at the address found in my profile. I will not be here to read any IM's or posts. My mind cannot be changed.  
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2002, 11:08:47 PM »
As soon as I've posted this, I'm locking the topic.  Anyone wishing to make a comment to Craig_Slocum about her decision can do so using <craigsghost@hotmail.com>.

I'm doing so in the hope that we can get back to primarily discussing Dark Shadows.  Interestingly enough, messages rarely need to be modified or removed and warnings are very rarely issued when we stay on topic.

In closing, I'm pasting the following excerpt from the forum guidelines:

You agree that notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, the administrators and moderators of dsboards have the right, but not the obligation, to remove content from dsboards which they determine to be in violation of this agreement. Similarly it is the administrators' and moderators' sole discretion to determine what is and what is not in violation.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2002, 02:37:31 AM »
Unlocking the thread for just a moment... and only a moment, I promise!

I'm going against my own request (stop laughing, Dom) to end this topic, but it's because I don't want to leave everyone bewildered about a couple of noticeable changes that have occurred on the forum, and since we've in many ways become a close group I feel explanations are in order.

Some unfortunate comments made on the forum today (which were promptly removed) have led to a loss of posting privileges for an indefinite period for one of our cousins.

Switching reels here... Cheryl's decision to leave stemmed from the fact that she felt that a recent comment reflected poorly on her, but I'd like to make it clear that she, in fact, did not instigate any of our recent problems.  She has expressed to me that she enjoys the forum, and in light of the fact that she is a member in good standing, she will continue to participate on the forums.

Hope that was satisfactory cuz I'm shutting up now.  Really.