Author Topic: Slightly OT: Mame Article  (Read 656 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Slightly OT: Mame Article
« on: October 31, 2002, 08:46:09 PM »
This might be interesting for anyone who's planning to see David Selby in Mame this week or next week in Thousand Oaks, California.

The Ventura County Star ran a profile piece on Amanda McBroom in today's issue. She'll be playing the title role, and she's most famous for writing the song "The Rose," but, frankly, I think her greatest contribution to the world was doing voice work on The Smurfs. :P

You'll find a link to the article, which mentions neither David Selby nor smurfs (more's the pity), on my David Selby site.

Addition to original message: The Thousand Oaks Acorn also ran a piece today about McBroom and Mame. I've added a link to that to my site as well.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly OT: Mame Article
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 11:08:48 PM »
Thanks for this news.  I had wondered who was playing Auntie Mame.  I really cannot imagine McBroom in the role, but I really know nothing about her apart from the name.  I've never seen the Smurfs.

For me, Mame the musical will always be dominated by the figure of Angela Lansbury, although I first saw it in a touring production starring the great Edie Adams (another actress who deserved to be better known).  It was from reading the program notes to that production that I learned the word "effervescent" which was used to describe Edie, and boy, did it suit her to a T.

A year or two later my parents, after MUCH begging, took me to see Angela Lansbury in the show (I believe this was her last tour of it).  Priceless, magic, brilliance come to mind as adjectives to describe Miss Lansbury's presence onstage.

I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I believe Grayson Hall would have made a grand Vera.  I know she would have done well with "The Man in the Moon is a Lady," given how she stopped the show with "The Ballad of the Lily in Hell" in Happy End.

Best, Steve

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2002, 12:39:13 AM »

I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I believe Grayson Hall would have made a grand Vera.  I know she would have done well with "The Man in the Moon is a Lady," given how she stopped the show with "The Ballad of the Lily in Hell" in Happy End.

Best, Steve

of Course your NOT the only one. . i can imagine it .. wonderful it would've been. . .and that Lily in Hell ballad is something. .
Julia99

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2002, 03:09:37 AM »
I'm probably the only person who thinks this, but I believe Grayson Hall would have made a grand Vera.  I know she would have done well with "The Man in the Moon is a Lady," given how she stopped the show with "The Ballad of the Lily in Hell" in Happy End.

Oh, Steve, I think so too. I can hear her now, singing "Bosom Buddies" with great style.

Bette
Life works if you let it