Author Topic: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD  (Read 14755 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:24:56 AM »
MPI is releasing the Complete Original Series on DVD on April 10th for $419.00 at Amazon plus two other DVDs.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dark-Shadows-The-Complete-Original-Series/16432

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Re: Complete Original Series April 10 on DVD
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 02:15:03 AM »
Thanks for the news!

I just KNEW they'd were gonna do this sooner or later. And although I'm happy with my present dvd sets, I just wanna know:

1) Are there gonna be any new special features included?
&
2) What's this whole box set gonna look like??

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 03:45:25 AM »
Very good questions Cousin. Hopefully MPI will have this at its website soon.

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:11:15 AM »
I am guessing it is the same DVDs from the Dark Shdows Collection and Dark Shows the Beginning repackaged. Otherwise why not issue this Collection on Blu-ray.
I am thinking a single Blu-ray disk would have the capacity for more episodes then a single DVD.
Dan

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »
actually it doesn't bother me at all that it isn't on blu-ray. ONLY really because if you look at how much blu-ray tv shows are. of say "True Blood" for example on dvd it can be a reasonable price. but on blu-ray & even 'Doctor Who" on blu-ray or even "Firefly" which "Target sells for $80.00 bucks! the price of these shows on blu-ray are just plain TERRIBLE!  & since "MPI" which is a great company

by the way. they have a habit of over charging their product. i've never bought any "DS" from them because on how much it is. & even when they have sales they to me are STILL too much. so it no surprise they are putting a big box out of the show. i was curious if anything would be done to help promote the new "DS" film.

are we going to see them back in stores? cause no store around me carries them anymore since the show

finished being released on dvd. so keping in mind that i stlil have 10 sets left to buy. it really doesn't bother me that it's NOT on blu-ray. yes they can have more episodes on them i'm sure. but if they put more episodes on a set. the set will be like $80 bucks at least. much like "Doctor Who" is over-priced as well. the current version i mean. the original the sets are over-priced too. depending on what set you get.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »
Is it possible that the reason it is not being released on blu-ray is because the picture quality cannot physically be enhanced? I don't know too much about this but I'm sure MPI would love to make more money.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:11:05 AM »
that makes sense actually. because if you look at some of the episodes the sound quality is pretty bad. & that to me makes the most sense.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »
*sighs* Now if MGM would just re-release the revival dvd set with special features and everything fixed from their first attempt...I would be happy. As far as buying the complete collection, bleh....that would be good for someone who doesn't own any of the sets but I'm almost done. On the plus side, it might reduce the single collections for all of us who are still buying them that way. I also don't buy through MPI. WAY too expensive. I bought a collection or two the last time I was at a fest but the price was 30 a piece which wasn't bad.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:10:53 AM »
 [yikes] fantastic news!

I can't wait to see how they package this -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
I totally agree VictoriaWinters1991. That is a great idea. The only problem is convincing the manufactor in this case Sony I believe to do that. I forgot the history but I believe Sony bought out MGM at least in this case. I really hope it happens.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »
The revival deserved better than what it got. We want the "making of," video that contained bloopers, interviews, and all of that in addition to the correct ratios and adding back the day to night filtering. Also, it wouldn't kill them to give us some new interviews. Joanna Going, Ben Cross, Roy Thinnes, Joseph Gordon-Levett (he had little to say about the experience when he was a kid it seems), Lysette Anthony...a lot of them are still alive.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:07:42 PM »
According to the MPI reps at the Fest in August, the "Complete Series" will come packaged in a coffin-shaped box.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 11:40:37 PM »
That's kinda bizarre -- the coffin-shaped-ness of the box, I mean.  Seems like a cool idea, until I consider the complete I Dream of Jeannie I received for Christmas a few years ago -- the discs are all held in an accordion-shaped folder that slides into a giant cardboard replica of Jeannie's bottle, and then just as easily (and inconveniently) slides out again.  Plus it doesn't fit ANYWHERE.  I imagine that a big coffin would present similar difficulties.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 01:53:13 AM »
I really love accordion packaging, as it doesn't take any room.  I am glad, however, that I got DS in the traditional cases.  I just would have liked the first 10 in the more compact cases. 

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 06:30:18 AM »
actually it'd be great if they fix the (1991) series plus add new interviews & so on as stated. PLUS as a bonus add the (2004) pilot! plus put the extended episodes like they were done for the VHS series back in the 90's.

& also fix what's wrong with the episodes as well of course. than i'd buy it. i haven't bought it yet cause of all this i've read about both times it's been released so far. a coffin eh? that honestly would look cool but as stated already. where in the hell would that even fit?

i don't plan on buying it though, for one that costs to much for my blood. for another i've only got i think 10 sets left to buy. & i  plan on getting some from amazon soon anyways. kinda how like i'd LOVE to get that "Law & Order' 104 disc set that's out. but it just costs to much.

can anyone guess how many discs there will be anyways? i'm just to lazy to do the math. he he plus i'm frankly terrible at math.