Author Topic: A Question Of Propriety  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
A Question Of Propriety
« on: May 15, 2002, 06:45:00 AM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

I don't know, you may call me too old-fashioned, but I just don't like this idea of Jeff Clark staying as a in Maggie Evans' house.

It seems to me that Sam Evans, who should be around to chaperone these two attractive young people, is never at home.  If Sam isn't painting a beautiful sunrise from the top of Widow's Hill, he's closing the Blue Whale at 3:00 AM with his good buddy, Bob Rooney.  There's just too much potential sexual tension for Maggie and Jeff to be staying under the same roof.  And, if I were Maggie's boyfriend, Joe Haskell, I'd be mighty ticked off about some other guy staying there with my girlfriend.

I have to wonder why Vicky never thought to ask Mrs. Stoddard if her friend, Jeff, could stay in Matthew Morgan's unoccupied caretaker's cottage?  (After all, as we will see, Carolyn was able to get the cottage for her "friend," Chris Jennings.)  Of course, if Jeff stayed at the caretaker's cottage, how could Maggie ever tell him about Angelique's dream curse?  (Maybe I've answered my own question.)

Nevertheless, I'm sure that Cassandra/Angelique would have devised some plan to send Maggie to meet Jeff at the cottage.

I can just see the scene:  A romantic, moonlit night over the cottage.  Jeff answers the door to find the lovely Maggie, dressed seductively in that Lands End floral print, flannel quilt dress (which, by the way, all of you across America will be able to purchase at your local Sears Roebuck Store this fall).  Maggie blushes as she first lays her eyes on the handsome Jeff, sporting that rakish, earth tone sports coat and she tries to explain that she saw Jeff in her dream.

A puzzled, but delighted Jeff invites Maggie to tell him all about her dream. He offers her a drink as they both sit down on the sofa.  Jeff pops an 8-track tape into his stereo system and the throaty, sultry sound of Bonnie Raitt's voice begins to sing "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About."

Maggie begins to relate her dream to Jeff as if she's experiencing some sensuous reverie.  And, Jeff...  Well, you get the idea.  I don't have to paint a picture for you, do I?

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who will now retire to enjoy some light reading, specifically Erica Jong's "Fear Of Flying."

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: A Question Of Propriety
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2002, 07:17:10 AM »
I don't like the idea either of Jeff Clark staying at Maggie Evans cottage. I had to laugh that day when Vicki and Maggie were in the drawing room at Collinwood and Vicki asked her if Jeff could stay at her place, and that he was such a nice gentleman and everything. I thought yeah and he digs up graves and steals body parts, and just got out of a mental institution! If Maggie only knew.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 07:40:54 AM »
Bob_the_Bartender ascribed:
Maggie begins to relate her dream to Jeff as if she's experiencing some sensuous reverie.  And, Jeff...  Well, you get the idea.  I don't have to paint a picture for you, do I?

*falls off her chair laughing* OMG Bob, you are sooooooo funnyyyyy  :-* ROTFL

And if I were Joe, I'd be mad too  >:(
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2002, 09:27:38 AM »
What got me was that he actually had the nerve to sit in the main room there, while SHE had to go to bed![nerv] Then he falls asleep and takes a nap in her chair![sleep] Most house guests will retreat to their given rooms for the night, as not to bother their hosts. Jeff Clark actually made himself right at home there!  What a guy!  The whole thing just seemed awkward to me. ?!?  
I was suprised that Vicky, being so close to Liz, didn't ask if Jeff could stay at one of the many rooms at Collinwood? [hdscrt]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2002, 05:08:39 PM »
I agree Bob-the-Bartender.  Maggie and Jeff.....  together, alone?  I don't think so.  Maggie and Jeff didn't even know each other.  Vicki (I don't understand) introduced them.  Joe should be gawning at the bite, and Vicki should be thinking of another place for Jeff to stay.  
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2002, 08:35:28 PM »
Not only should Joe be miffed but you would think Vicki would have more sense than to find lodgings for her one true love at the small cottage of the prettiest girl in Collinwood.  I now believe she really "doesn't understand"!  :-/  
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2002, 08:38:18 PM »
Sorry, I meant prettiest girl in Collinsport not Collinwood. ::)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2002, 01:20:15 AM »
What got me was that he actually had the nerve to sit in the main room there, while SHE had to go to bed![nerv] Then he falls asleep and takes a nap in her chair![sleep] Most house guests will retreat to their given rooms for the night, as not to bother their hosts. Jeff Clark actually made himself right at home there!  What a guy!  The whole thing just seemed awkward to me. ?!?  
I was suprised that Vicky, being so close to Liz, didn't ask if Jeff could stay at one of the many rooms at Collinwood? [hdscrt]

Not to mention the fact that I always got the strong impression that the Evans cottage was strictly a two-bedroom affair.

Joe stayed over a couple of times when Maggie was sick and got the sofa--so it's not like there was a guest bedroom.  Convenient re-writing.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2002, 05:03:36 AM »
When Vicki asked Maggie if Jeff could stay there, she began the conversation by asking "Maggie, do you still have that extra room?".....which made me wonder if she thought perhaps the Evans' had somehow detached said room and sold it to the Cape Cod next door?!!!!!!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2002, 06:25:23 AM »

I can just see the scene:  A romantic, moonlit night over the cottage.  Jeff answers the door to find the lovely Maggie, dressed seductively in that Lands End floral print, flannel quilt dress (which, by the way, all of you across America will be able to purchase at your local Sears Roebuck Store this fall).  Maggie blushes as she first lays her eyes on the handsome Jeff, sporting that rakish, earth tone sports coat and she tries to explain that she saw Jeff in her dream.

A puzzled, but delighted Jeff invites Maggie to tell him all about her dream. He offers her a drink as they both sit down on the sofa.  Jeff pops an 8-track tape into his stereo system and the throaty, sultry sound of Bonnie Raitt's voice begins to sing "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About."

Well, you  ALMOST got it right. But, the song was "Love to Love You, Baby"!  I mean,  you can imagine how seductive Disco Jeff would think that would be!

As for Vickie,  I don't know if she even knows what could happen! Can't you just see her "Peter, get your hands off Josette this minute!"

And I already had a lovely dress almost like that, thank you very much.....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2002, 06:35:59 AM »

Maggie begins to relate her dream to Jeff as if she's experiencing some sensuous reverie.  And, Jeff...  

...grabs his hair and yells, "Where's my brush??!!??"  ;)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2002, 08:38:07 AM »

Joe stayed over a couple of times when Maggie was sick and got the sofa--so it's not like there was a guest bedroom.  Convenient re-writing.

Oh, I'm sure that the Evanses managed to scrape together enough to have an addition built to the house while Vicki was in the past specifically with the intention of later renting it out to her friends.  Maybe they even hired the same company that finished restoring the Old House to its 1795 glory after Willie went to Windcliff.  ;)

ProfStokes

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2002, 09:23:57 AM »
I don't recall if they ever specifically said that there were 2 bedrooms.  We know that Maggie's is on the first floor.  The overall shot of the exterior of the house shows upstairs windows, so I assume there could have been another room available.
Josette