Author Topic: Depp's Dark Shadows  (Read 2438 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Depp's Dark Shadows
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:55 PM »
Stay on topic please. Thanks.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
Gee, I was only expressing my opinion. I will admit the film does have its amusing moments. I don't condemn anyone who likes it. I just was curious about all the hubbub. MB explained it quite well and I get it. Chill out, people.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »
that's not entirely accurate...

you didn't just express an opinion but demanded an explanation and it seemed like an apology.

which is why I thought it was a bit of an overstep. and i'm plenty "chilled".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 08:21:37 PM »
Well, then. I beg your pardon and do forgive me. But they don't call me Janet the Wicked for nothing. No offense intended. 
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 08:46:48 PM »
perhaps I was brusque...

but my point was that there is more than enough hostility towards this film floating around the internet for 10 lifetimes. the "fan" rage around it is completely disproportionate. I don't think I've heard the word "travesty" used so many times in my life.

so the fact that this particular board has taken a moderate, even somewhat positive, attitudes towards it is no harm, no foul. no one is being done a disservice and the hysteria is being kept at a low boil.

and if one looks around most of the posting really does pertain to the OS more than anything else.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »
I am by no means hostile. Well, menopause does have a rather hostile impact on my viewpoints these days, among other things. Nah. I'm glad they made the movie. Like I said, it does have its moments and I do enjoy the "Top of the World" sequence. I will admit that the first time I put the DCD in, I was somewhat appalled, but I gave it a second chance with an open mind frame. But, I just don't care for it all that much. I'm by no means a fan of modern films anyway. Sooo...
Just my opinion. Please don't take offense. You know, I read somewhere that they're going to remake "The Grapes of Wrath" and the first words that popped out of my mouth were, "What the hell for?" But I read an article that stated they wanted to appeal to the younger audience, blah, blah, blah... More power to em.
I am pretty much glued to TCM. I will stay there.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 12:39:52 AM »
Please don't think anyone's attacking you, Janet, for not liking the film.  You're a DS-OS fan an you didn't and that's fine.  I'm a DS-OS fan and I loved the film.  That's also fine.  And, as a DS-OS fan, I didn't like one iota that '91 remake.  I thought it was an over-the-board, gore-infested rehash of HoDS, rather than DS-OS.  And that's fine.  I still appreciate what they tried to do in '91 and failed miserably.  I have seen it several times, both in reruns on the Sci-Fi (pre-"SyFy") channel and on Hulu.  Why?  Because I appreciate that someone has kept out beloved DS alive.  I've even learned to appreciate many of the good things in the "travesty" of the '91 remake.  I just wish I could see the abortive '04 remake attempt, but you-know-who won't allow it on youtube or anywhere else because he thinks it will take away money.  Yeah, right.  Just how does he expect to make any money for the estate of DC off of it?  Why doesn't he just get with reality and accept that it won't and just let us DS fans enjoy it?  (Are you reading this, you-know-who-you-are?)

Anyway, I am an immense fan of DS-12.  I thought much of what Burton/Depp did was brilliant.  Having Barnabas struggle with life 200 years later was far more brilliant than having the DC-Barnabas (in both the OS and '91 showing up within a day or two dressed to the max in 20th century clothing and knowing what's going on) did.  It would be funny.  And far more realistic.  But trying to rehash the original storyline of Barnabas and Josette and Maggie-Victoria today wouldn't work anymore.  It just wouldn't.  It's all been "twilighted" to death (and I hate Twilight and everything it stands for).

As much as I hated DS-91, I appreciate that it brought in a whole new fan base.  DS-12 did the same thing.  I went to my first viewing with over two-dozen friends, most of whom didn't know what DS was about and they left as fans. 

Like I said, you didn't like DS-12, Janet and that's alright.  Be grateful that this site has been optimistic about it because it is our DS.  There are those of us who don't like DS-91 and this site has been optimistic about it because it's our DS.  (As for those of us who never saw DS-04, blame you-know-who.)  Your opinion is valued.

Gerard

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 01:27:05 AM »
Thanx, Gerard. Thank you. I know there are some out there that have completely given up the site. Look. I'm telling you, all I said was an opinion of the film. I don't condemn anybody that likes it. I am still a DS fan. I still eat hamburgers and drink containers of coffee with them. I swear to God you are all okay!!! Oh, the humanity...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »
Alright, Janet, I've written you off.  You drink containers of coffee, but there's no vodka involved?  Oh, the humanity!  What have the gods wrought with you non-likers of DS-12?  May Dr. Julia Hoffman, in whatever incarnation, smite you!

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 12:59:10 PM »
Thanx, Gerard. Thank you. I know there are some out there that have completely given up the site. Look. I'm telling you, all I said was an opinion of the film. I don't condemn anybody that likes it. I am still a DS fan. I still eat hamburgers and drink containers of coffee with them. I swear to God you are all okay!!! Oh, the humanity...

that's part of my point. that there are those who have "completely given up" on this great, active, well-moderated site because, why???, it has taken something of a positive approach to the film is absurd and highly indicative of the irrationality of much of the fanbase in this regard. I have noticed some regular posters jumping ship after the release and I don't understand why.

again, it's no harm, no foul. so some members and a couple of moderators enjoyed the film. so what? who's being harmed? there's enough other places on the internet to bitch about the film. here it's kept to a minimum but there's plenty of other things to post about.

and really the film's only been out for about a year and a half. it still has something of an element of "newness" to it for a franchise that only has major output news about once every decade or so. it'll die down.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
that's part of my point. that there are those who have "completely given up" on this great, active, well-moderated site because, why???, it has taken something of a positive approach to the film is absurd and highly indicative of the irrationality of much of the fanbase in this regard. I have noticed some regular posters jumping ship after the release and I don't understand why.

again, it's no harm, no foul. so some members and a couple of moderators enjoyed the film. so what? who's being harmed? there's enough other places on the internet to bitch about the film. here it's kept to a minimum but there's plenty of other things to post about.

Thanks for your support, michael c.  I read JtW's original post shortly after seeing this one by a dsboards member on another forum site that I think illustrates what you're saying:

...many of the posts on the Dark Shadows Forum expressed honest disappointment and disapproval, and were logical and well-reasoned arguments, not petty name-calling. The site owner doesn't want a negative reaction at all, certainly not one that makes sense.
[The post's context:  http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/reply/139449/Tim-Burtons-DARK-SHADOWS#reply-139449]

Well, certainly no one should come here if it's not to their liking, and I've read some highly imaginary reasons for not wanting to (the mods here fix polls to get the results we want, we're homophobic-- two of the more offensive accusations made against us that have no basis in fact whatsoever), and the above comment ranks not very far behind IMO.

MB, dom and I don't judge whether a fan agrees or disagrees with our assessment of the movie or any other aspect of DS, regardless of how long they've been here or where they fall between personal friend and totally anonymous, or long-standing contributor and newbie.  Opinions are never moderated nor judged.  We appreciate the same sentiment from others-- the mods should be entitled to our opinions as well-- though we know we won't always get it.

If everyone agreed here about everything, it would be kinda boring anyway.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
Alright, Janet, I've written you off.  You drink containers of coffee, but there's no vodka involved?  Oh, the humanity! 
Gerard

Who the hell mixes coffee with vodka? What, are you nuts?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »
Well, Janet, actually tea.  Just a tad when you have a cold.  I think I have one right now!

Gerard

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2013, 01:37:02 AM »
More power to ya!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 02:23:00 AM »
Thank you, Janet!  I think my sniffles are getting better!

Gerard