Author Topic: Sign O The Times  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Sign O The Times
« on: January 29, 2002, 09:31:34 PM »
Originally posted by Patti on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 29, 2002 at 15:31:34:

By 1967, alot of people had prescribed to the "Dr. Spock, oh don't hit the child/make him/her do anything, yada yada"...so, it was sort of humorous that a DISTANT cousin, i.e. Barnabas was going to "Spank the boy".
Uh, what's the deal with Liz "telling" Rog he can't send HIS son away...is it only because she controls the purse strings?
I wonder if ABC received any feedback from parents regarding Barn's "corporal punishment" statment...?
Enjoying these eps....
Patt
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Sign O The Times
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2002, 11:24:52 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 29, 2002 at 17:24:52:

I was the same age as David back then, Patti, and from my own experiences I would say that many, many parents would've whole-heartedly endorsed Barnabas taking a shine to David's hiney. Not only did parents wallop their kids publicly back then without fear (they were looked at with cutting eyes if they didn't when their precious, little darlings acted up), but it was not uncommon for strangers to do some on-the-spot disciplining. They didn't necessarily give 'em a lickin', but they certainly would give a good tongue-lashing, made all the more potent by finger-wagging.

As for Liz holding the purse-strings with regards to David, overruling his father, it was obvious that she wore the pants in that family (even though we never saw her in slacks).

Gerard

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2002, 11:38:15 PM »
Originally posted by Brian on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 29, 2002 at 17:38:15:
In Reply to: Re: Sign O The Times posted by Gerard on January 29, 2002 at 17:24:52:

I got spanked, too, a few times back in the 60s. Fortunately, as I grew up I was taller and bigger than my father--but I still didn't talk back to him until after I moved out of the house, and even now I "respectfully" disagree with him--even though he's usually wrong. LOL.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2002, 11:46:16 PM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 29, 2002 at 17:46:16:

I would say that those more "enlightened" and lenient parents were still in the minority at that time. And even today, it depends greatly upon where you live. I had to laugh at my niece talking about the child raising that she observed in southern California, where no child was ever hindered in their hearts' desire. She was then surprised in North Carolina, to see that public spankings were still typical there.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 12:30:13 AM »
Originally posted by Birdie on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 30, 2002 at 18:30:13:
In Reply to: Re: Sign O The Times posted by Brian on January 29, 2002 at 17:38:15:

I got wacked with the razor strap that had a place of honor hanging in the downstairs bathroom. My mother once lifted the mattress of the bed and throw it at me, she was afraid if she hit me at the time she would have killed me.lol. Funny, niether of us can remember what I did to cause such a rage. Than she hit me over the head with metal knitting needles while trying to teach me the art of knitting. They broke. Just keep in mind a left handed person going through the change should never try to teach a right handed young person a skill. Today they would call in abuse. I never in my life ever felt abused. It was very common for parents to do these things. My father never raised a hand to me. Than again he worked two jobs and was usuallly exhausted when he got home. I do remember one time his throwing the mash potatoes across the table at us when we were being very obnoxious.

Stories to laugh about now.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2002, 12:53:53 AM »
Originally posted by Gerard on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 30, 2002 at 18:53:53:
In Reply to: Re: Sign O The Times posted by Birdie on January 30, 2002 at 18:30:13:

My mother wore out an old purse strap on me - I was a very precocious child who knew how to push buttons. She then used an old belt. A coupla months ago, as I was going through the old homestead, cleaning it out, I found that belt still hanging in its place of honor in the kitchen broom closet.

My dad, too, rarely gave us a lickin' because he was usually at work when we would try to do things like burn down the house or stuff the pet parakeet into the dog. But if he did catch us doing such darling, little things, he would give it just as good as our mom. I always prefered the spanking method as it got it over with in a matter of seconds (and to be perfectly honest, our pride was hurt more than our butts by the lickin'). The kids who really did suffer were the ones who got grounded or were denied things like watching their favorite shows or going to the movies. Their punishment lingered, sometimes for weeks, while ours would smart for a coupla minutes, and then it would be over.

Gerard

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2002, 11:18:20 AM »
Originally posted by Birdie on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 31, 2002 at 05:18:20:
In Reply to: Re: Sign O The Times posted by Gerard on January 30, 2002 at 18:53:53:

My worst punishment was when she took DS away for a week because she caught me lying about going to the movies with my friends, when in fact I just went by myslf. She would listen in on the phone extention too. I just tell my kids when they think we are tough they could have lived with my mother.lol. Truthfully, she did something very right she brought up four children and all have become responsible caring adults. We could always go to her, as long as we didn'tt lie, and tell her anything. The house was always open to friends and anyone who needed a hot meal and place to go too. We over the years had various relatives staying with us.

Birdie
Birdie--

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2002, 02:22:39 PM »
Originally posted by Patti on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 31, 2002 at 08:22:39:

She would listen in on the phone extention too. I just tell my kids when they think we are tough they could have lived with my mother.lol. Truthfully, she did something very right she brought up four children and all have become responsible caring adults. We could always go to her ,as long as we didn'tt lie, and tell her anything. The house was always open to friends and anyone who needed a hot meal and place to go too. We over the years had various relatives staying with us.

Birdie...my divorced parents were the antithesis of each other; my dad, almost a neo-nazi (with butt wuppins), my mom....the Dr. Spock NO hitting (oyevah, what a mess, my mom should've whacked me AND received combat pay)!
Since I got away with murder, I now eavesdrop on my 10 year old, occassionally spank/slap/smack (it gets harder with age, n'est pas?).
But....my 7 year old...perhaps she was too young when we started spanking her hyne...nothing nothing NOTHING seems to deter her
(And I'm gonna have another!!!???)
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2002, 02:51:51 PM »
Originally posted by RingoCollins on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 31, 2002 at 08:51:51:
In Reply to: Re: Sign O The Times posted by Birdie on January 31, 2002 at 05:18:20:

She would listen in on the phone extention too.

Oh Birdie - that reminded me of an 'incident' that i caused that i had not thought of in 40 years! i knew my mom was listening in [or at least SOMEONE was - you guys remember what they called 'party lines' when you could pick up the phone and hope to hear a dial tone, but it would be a neighbor on the same trunk line, then have to wait till they were done to use the phone?] I always had a lot of 'divergent thinking' and i guess i was old enough to know about 'affairs' in the neighborhood, so anyway, i noticed the sound of the phone change, as if someone was evesdropping, and began telling my pal about seeing one of my mom's friends and a very likely suspect 'involved', with just enough details -places and bits of conversation, then I begged my friend Wes not to tell anyone,[that was the clincher] [he fell right into it, too] Later when we were together in person i told him about the scam, again we kept the secret, and within a very short period of time, it was blown way out of porportion and much added to my 'outline' - i eventually got confronted about it, and 'fessed up. then i heard '...all the trouble you caused...' and had to counter with something like 'my little ruse would have done nothing had it not been OVERHEARD AND REPEATED!' the next time i sensed the 'eaves dropping' i went into a routine about spacemen, mice infested homes and 'alternate lifestlyes' and heard a sharp CLICK! [then i sat the phone down and went to the room my mom was in - i grinned, gave her the 'gotcha' look, and she gave me 'THE' look!!] moral: the truth is in the ear of the eavesdropper.

---
Whoa Jeeeezzzz - i just realized how much like Davy Collins that whole thing sounds!! I must go shower again!

Guilty Cheers,
Ringo [who will be watching his first superbowl this weekend, at least the pregame show!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2002, 01:49:20 AM »
Originally posted by Birdie on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 31, 2002 at 19:49:20:
In Reply to: Re: Sign O The Times posted by RingoCollins on January 31, 2002 at 08:51:51:

That explains a lot of things. You did sound like a little monster. I am so glad my children have never pulled the stuff I did, or their father.

My sister in law won tickets to the Super Bowl game. That was even before the Patriots were in the gsme. Those nuns have all the luck.

Go Pats!
Birdie
Birdie--