Author Topic: OT But Interesting: Bing Crosby  (Read 821 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT But Interesting: Bing Crosby
« on: October 16, 2003, 06:19:01 PM »
I found this info on him from the Internet Movie Data Base and it seemed so unusual I thought I would share it here:

He left a clause in his will stating that his sons could not collect his money until they were in their 80s.

He had six sons, three are still alive and one daughter.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:OT But Interesting: Bing Crosby
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »
He left a clause in his will stating that his sons could not collect his money until they were in their 80s.

Considering that the average life expectancy is under 80, what a BIZARRE thing to do!

Can you imagine if Grandmama Edith had done that in 1897?! I can just see Edward, Judith, Quentin and Carl trying to figure out how each was going to outlive the other siblings.  [lghg]  But considering that women generally outlive men, Judith might still have ended up with everything in the end anyway - well, provided she lived at least until 80 and didn't succumb to an "unfortunate accident" beforehand. [wink2]

And poor Gregory Trask - he might have had to marry that woman in Fall River ([b003]) to gain his wealth and power. Perhaps it might have even been Lizzie Borden, and his fate wouldn't have been all that different...

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 01:48:47 AM »
This was regarding his sons by his unhappy first marriage, not the two sons and daughter with Kathyrn Grant!  Bing didn't see eye to eye with his first family (supposedly he drove wife Dixie to drink, the old Susan Hayward movie "Smash-Up"  [produced by Joan Bennett's then-husband Walter Wanger] has long been said to be a fictionalized version of the unhappy Bing Crosby/Dixie Lee marriage, which ended only when she died of cancer in '52).

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 05:57:52 AM »
I understand Mr. Crosby was not very easy to live with, so different from his stage personality.     :(

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)