Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0205  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0205
« on: May 05, 2012, 05:01:21 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0205
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:07:22 PM »
Willie has done Elizabeth a huge favor.  He has forced to think about what would be even worse than being exposed as a murderess.  She has discovered the limit of what Jason can force her to accept, and now, even though she is still submitting to blackmail, she is stronger than she was.

I think that when Willie was looking at the portrait of Barnabas at the end of today's episode, it was the first time on the show that we heard a voiceover other than the opening "My name is Victoria Winters" ones.  I imagine the writers regretting that Moltke's voiceovers will no longer be so special, but figuring it was a good way to help James Hall with his lines.  My imaginings are probably completely imaginary, however: instead the writers may have been seeing it as paving the way for the heartbeat.  First you hear what's going on inside Willie's brain, and then you hear what's going on inside the portrait's chest.

I love the heartbeat.  It's used at other times later on in Dark Shadows, and doesn't particularly thrill me, but today I loved it.  It's partly because I know what's coming and I know it's good, and partly because I can imagine not knowing what's coming.  All I have to know is that there's an unknown force - a heartbeat in the heart of Collinwood.  If it gets loud enough, it could shake the foundations of Collinwood, break the door of the locked basement room, and eject Paul Stoddard from his unknown grave.  Has it been beating there in the foyer, unheard by anyone, ever since the portrait was painted?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »
WELCOME, PORTRAIT OF BARNABAS!!!

Famous conversation between David and Willie. However, several of the details that David mentions will be revised in the future. The name "Barnabas Collins" is mentioned for the first time!

The writers are giving us another clue to Jason's character (or rather, lack of same) by showing us that he never even thought to figure a mother's love into his calculations.  [ghost_grin]

And yes, the "Tell-Tale Heart" is a wonderful touch, though a bit ironic, because as we all know (or should know), [spoiler]vampires don't have heartbeats.  [ghost_cheesy][/spoiler]

Alone in the foyer as he gazes at the portrait--especially the jewels--Willie thinks to himself that if it was up to him, he'd just grab "rocks like those" and run. He's been at Collinwood for hardly a day and already he's molested Carolyn twice, ordered the girls around as if they were his personal attendants, and been threatened with the police. He grabs his jacket and heads out for a drink. And so ends the Positively Last Appearance of James Hall as Willie Loomis.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:10:20 PM »
Well the question is will Willie give in to Elizabeth and Jason's orders to stay away from the girls...it seems he has now developed a new interest in jewels, thanks to his chat with David.

Well we now know that Jason hasn't told Willie exactly WHAT he has over Elizabeth...probably a smart move, because I can so see Willie using that as a weapon to be able to stay on at Collinwood.

It's certainly understandable, Carolyn not wanting to be around Willie a second longer, but on the other hand, Elizabeth is determined to get Willie out of the house as soon as possible....but she still has to bow down to Jason's demands in order to accomplish this. Poor Carolyn doesn't realize the torment her mother is going through in order to protect her.

Farewell, James. Has he been in anything else besides Dark Shadows?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:51:43 PM »
Well we now know that Jason hasn't told Willie exactly WHAT he has over Elizabeth...probably a smart move, because I can so see Willie using that as a weapon to be able to stay on at Collinwood.

The last thing Jason wants is for Willie to know as much as he does. That power is one of the ways Jason can control Willie, and it's what makes Jason the brains of the operation.

Farewell, James. Has he been in anything else besides Dark Shadows?

Apparently he's still alive and has done TV and movies. Here's his IMDB page. He looks very different now!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »
However...

[spoiler]In the episode where Willie leaves Collinwood, to live with Barnabas, he tries to tell Liz something (about Barnabas I believe) and stops.  When Jason gets him alone outside he says to Willie "Were you going to blow the whistle on me?

[/spoiler]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 01:12:00 AM »
I think it's very likely that [spoiler] at sometime Jason told Willie that his hold over Elizabeth is based on a hoax without telling Willie the exact details over what Elizabeth's secret was. Now Willie could have exposed Jason when he was trying to tell her about Barnabas, but he didn't. He still felt some loyalty to Jason even though he was under Barnabas' control.[/spoiler]

Jason was wise to keep Willie in the dark....getting hotheaded enough, Willie could very easily have endangered Jason's whole plan...he was already doing a good enough job of that by harassing Carolyn and Vicki.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 01:20:12 AM »
I just saw James' IMBD page. He does look so very different, I barely recognized him.

Glad he had a career though, even though he was let go from DS.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 06:14:19 AM »
After #211, I'll probably be offline indefinitely, either because of my eyes, or my not having the episodes for awhile, or both.   I knew I had to avoid looking into a monitor and focusing on print tonight, at all costs, but it's an addiction, and it's about all there is to do here, so I did it anyway.   I have to face that particular defeat every single day, and pay again for it later with eye spasm etc..

I'm avoiding spoilers as of today because I think I may have underestimated the amount of early Barnabas which I have never seen.    Carolyn almost joined the ranks of Collins killers.   ECS might be wondering if it's in their blood, right now, while of course not blaming Carolyn one bit, either.

It's so strange, that moment when David casually speaks Barnabas's name and guides Willie One to the portrait.   It took me totally by surprise in January when I first saw it.   Had to watch it 2 or 3 more times of course.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
MT, I'm so sorry to hear about your eye troubles. I wish you a speedy recovery and will miss your lively presence and witty comments!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:51:25 PM »
You'll be missed Magnus. I too hope you make a full recovery. Take care...

Watching Project

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 09:51:12 PM »
The Robservations captures for this ep have been posted.  [ghost_smiley]

Watching Project

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 10:28:30 PM »
And remember:
Monday, May 7: No Episode, preempted on Monday, April 10, 1967 because of the AFTRA strike

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
(Thank you DL and ILB... for the sake of having a few informed, aware friends around me, even 'virtually', I should point out that even though the eye thing seems to be coming to a head now, it's consumed my life and existence since 1983, and has steadily worsened since then.   I just mean to say that it's not a passing thing.   If I didn't have to jump through hoops for bureaucrats as if I were well, just to hold onto basic assistance to live, maybe I could start recovering somewhat... I only came online now because trying to recover sans Internet backfired today for some reason, and I got worse anyway, so in for a penny in for a pound, I figured...  Sorry about going OT.)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 11:55:49 PM »
Just take care of yourself, MT. I hope we see you on the boards again ASAP!