Author Topic: What I didn't like about the fest.  (Read 5685 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Re: What I didn't like about the fest.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 05:00:21 AM »
You're right, you do have a right to your opinion.
May you die before you want too.

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
The DS actors do not get paid for their appearance at the festival (unless that has changed and I'm not aware of it).  They get their expenses paid for.

We can pick the nits if you wish but getting all expenses paid for is getting paid to be there... plus selling their pics, books, CD's, DVD's and other such items.  I was told at Tarrytown by someone working with the fest, not a volunteer, that a Betsy Durkins-type does not receive payment or even expenses but Frid, Parker, KLS, do receive expenses plus appearance fee.  I'm not saying it is a great fee - although I would think Frid would command a decent package, just saying what someone, who should actually know, told me last year.
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »
I know most of the actors who attend the fests and have worked at the fests since 1986 and the appearance fees you are talking about don't exist to my knowledge.  Frid doesn't command much at all and hasn't in all the years I've been with him at the fests.   He's even bought his own meals rather than bill the fest on many occasions.  The actors come to the fest enjoy being with the fans and seeing each other.  Sure, they sell their stuff but unlike a lot of actors who attend other conventions, these DS actors ask for very little and could, in fact, ask for much more.

Nancy

We can pick the nits if you wish but getting all expenses paid for is getting paid to be there... plus selling their pics, books, CD's, DVD's and other such items.  I was told at Tarrytown by someone working with the fest, not a volunteer, that a Betsy Durkins-type does not receive payment or even expenses but Frid, Parker, KLS, do receive expenses plus appearance fee.  I'm not saying it is a great fee - although I would think Frid would command a decent package, just saying what someone, who should actually know, told me last year.

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »
I thought I would respond to the above comments with my own two cents. I've attended two fests (not this year.) I think much of what has been written above is true, even by those who seem to be disagreeing with each other. It is true that the stars sell their items, make money and have their expenses paid for to boot. Not a bad deal at all. So there is truth that the appearances, as someone said above, are not 100% "noble" and contain some self interest. It's not all out of the goodenss of their hearts. And as someone else said, we poor or middle class fans, have to pay a ton of money to get there, hotel, dvd's and lots of monetary support over the years. All true.

But on the other hand, my own experience has been that the DS actors are some of the nicest, most gracious and personable people you can ever meet. That's not something that can be faked. If they came across as only snobs who were doing it for the money, that would be one thing. But they don't. So I really think they're great people. If they were not making money would they still come because they just love us fans so much? I don't know, but the fests are great times. We should enjoy them for what they are.

Sally
Sally Collins

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:56 PM »
I didn't start this thread to start trouble. The fact is I have gotten years of pleasure from the works of art that these actors are in. If they never work again, I hope they do, I'm greatful to be given the chance to tell them "Thank You" and to shake their hands. I have only been to two DS fest and I've enjoyed both of them. If at some time in the future I stop enjoying them I'll quit going. I'll never go and complain about this little thing or that little or do anything knowning to prevent other fans from enjoying it. If the lines become too long, I won't stand in them. If I don't like what an actor has to say I won't listen. But I hope I never do anything to cause another fan to not enjoy the show.
May you die before you want too.

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
I didn't think you were trying to cause trouble, borgosi, and did not take it like that.  I've gotten a lifetime of pleasure from the DS actor's efforts as well.  I appreciate the talent and guts it takes to do what they do.  But bad reviews are not a bad thing.  How else will the fest know what they need to possibly improve upon to make future fests the best fests ever?

And all the actors are some of the nicest people I've met as well.  I have met none that come across as overly pretentious or the like.  When I critique, it is not for the purpose of sulking, it is for the purpose of future improvement.  I did make the comment in my review that Burbank was my second, and last, fest.  However, that would be true even if the Burbank fest had been a beginning to end orgasmic experience.  I've seen and met all I would travel to see and meet now.  If they held a fest in New Orleans, I might be there, but I don't see that one happening.  I've kicked myself for many years by not going to the "Lion in Winter," Frid's one and only directorial outing in Milledgeville, GA when I was younger and had the chance.  I had something else going on that day and figured I would catch him next time around - which there was no next time.  So these last two fests made up for that error.  I also got to visit two cities I had never been to before.  I will be going back to both cities, but for the purpose of site-seeing.  If I had it to do over again, I would still go to both Tarrytown and Burbank.  I just don't feel the desire to repeat them now that I have done them.

No hard feelings, borgosi.  I love a good debate and, after all, this would be a very dull board if we all agreed on everything ;)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 06:30:31 PM »
How else will the fest know what they need to possibly improve upon to make future fests the best fests ever?

If only it worked that way. But fans have been offering constructive criticisms for years and yet year in and year out the same sort of criticisms of the Fests crop up. It's basically a case at this point that if fans want to partake in Fest activities like, say, the autograph lines and the banquet, they just have to grin and bare the inconveniences in order to reap the rewards. (Though apparently the food at the banquets will never be one of the rewards.  [ghost_cheesy])

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »
I didn't start this thread to start trouble. The fact is I have gotten years of pleasure from the works of art that these actors are in.

Oh I don't think you started anything other than debate.  Unfortunately, sometimes, debate can come across with sounding more intense than the debator intends.  That is often true in my case. [ghost_mad] [ghost_nowink] [ghost_tongue2]

David

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »
 [ghost_grin]

I'll bet the banquet food is a considerable step up from
Denny's acroos the street from the Burbank Marriot!

David

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »

You would lose that bet!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »
I'd opt for Denny's in a heart-beat.

nancy

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 08:37:23 PM »
I was just about to post that, Darren.  [ghost_grin]

In general, I've not had a problem with the banquet food, but as I already mentioned in my Fest report, I think vegetarian lasagna was a poor choice given the prevalence of allergies associated with this food.  That was the one thing I didn't like about this year's Fest.

As for criticisms of the Festival in general, even if they don't serve to inspire management to make any changes, at least they can help new attendees understand what they're getting themselves into (with respects to lengthy lines, actors' temperaments, etc.) so that they can make decisions about which events to attend. I'm just grateful that we still have Festivals/DS Weekends at all. 

ProfStokes

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
Oh I don't think you started anything other than debate.  Unfortunately, sometimes, debate can come across with sounding more intense than the debator intends.  That is often true in my case. [ghost_mad] [ghost_nowink] [ghost_tongue2]

And we still love ya.   [ghost_grin]

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 09:19:54 PM »
I'd opt for Denny's in a heart-beat.

Yep.  $6.99 for breakfast at Denny's is much better than the $14.99 at the hotel... and it tasted just as good.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 09:50:04 PM »
Ah, shucks. Thanks, Kajun. [ghost_smiley]

[And we still love ya.   [ghost_grin]