Author Topic: Dennis Patrick: LA Times 10/29/02  (Read 2438 times)

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Dennis Patrick: LA Times 10/29/02
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2002, 06:25:11 AM »
Thanks for posting the article.  

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2002, 06:30:03 AM »
What a lovely tribute filled with genuine warmth.  
There was a small picture and acticile in our local paper right after the article but not as nice as this one.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Connie

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2002, 07:34:19 AM »
Aw....nice.
There hasn't been an article in TV Guide yet?  
I mean, talk about someone who was all over TV for so many years.
Saw him on an All In The Family rerun not too long ago.  If I'm not mistaken, he was on that show a few times in different roles.

Nice little article.  Hey!  They forgot to mention "accomplished poet" !!  LOL  I wish someone had the capability of publishing a book of his limmericks!!!!

[thumb]

-CLC
Fan of great poetry  ;)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2002, 08:43:46 AM »
This was a lovely and informative tribute, and it makes his loss felt so much more strongly.  Thank you, Midnite, for sharing it with us! 

ProfStokes

I agree 100%  What a wonderful tribute. Thanks Midnite from making it available to us :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2002, 10:45:27 AM »
Thanks for posting this, Midnite. Glad to see Dennis Patrick is getting his props here and on some of the other "unofficial" Dark Shadows sites, since the official ones haven't bothered to report his passing yet.

did we have official sites?  i thought we were pretty much it.  i did notice that the restoration site had an announcement.

thanks to you too midnite for posting the article.  

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2002, 03:56:49 PM »

did we have official sites?  i thought we were pretty much it.  i did notice that the restoration site had an announcement.

Oops. Apologies to Darren because he did post this on the restoration site and send out an email update.

However, there are other sites touting themselves as official outlets for DS information that have not done the same thing. The ones I had in mind when I posted this were Dark Shadows Online and the Festival site, both of which, unless I have completely flipped my wig, reported Louis Edmonds' death very shortly after it happened.

At least the MPI DVD site doesn't have DP's name on the list of upcoming web chats, but I don't think it ever appeared on there in the first place.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2002, 04:45:51 PM »

thanks to you too midnite for posting the article.  

Stuart Manning's site at http://www.collinwood.net/news/
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2002, 05:25:54 PM »
Erm, thanks VAM, but my site has no official status -- I wouldn't want there to be any confusion over that.

And yes, that obituary is a wonderful tribute -- it does him proud :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Nancy

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2002, 05:50:37 PM »

Oops. Apologies to Darren because he did post this on the restoration site and send out an email update.

However, there are other sites touting themselves as official outlets for DS information that have not done the same thing. The ones I had in mind when I posted this were Dark Shadows Online and the Festival site, both of which, unless I have completely flipped my wig, reported Louis Edmonds' death very shortly after it happened.

Craig Hamrick has the Dark Shadows Online Site.  That site houses several websites for DS actors including the "official" Louis Edmonds site.  Craig wrote the bio on Louis and was a close friend of the actor's and updating the website quickly about Louis' death would be expected.  I heard about Mr. Patrick's passing and had emailed Craig about it since I knew that was something he would put it on his website, and indeed upon receiving the news, he said that he had plans to post the details when they became available.

However, the reason that update never happened is that Craig was then diagnosed as having colon cancer.
He is in the process of undergoing surgery to remove the cancer followed by the traditional round of intense follow up treatment.   Since he's been busy contending with all that, his website has not been updated and probably will not be for at least a little while.  His illness was mentioned at a recent DS event.

By the way, Craig said in an email just last week that he did not want this news treated as a secret which is why I did not hesitate to say what I did above, though I had no previous plans to post anything publicly about it.  But since there is a question about why his website has not been updated with news important to fans, now seems a good time to explain.  

Craig wants his situation to serve as a reminder to people to never discount the possibility of getting certain illnesses just because you are considered too young; it's good to keep minds open when looking for reasons why you are not feeling well for an extended period of time and not just eliminate the idea of cancer or something else right away.   Obviously the sooner cancer and other illnesses are detected, the more effectively they can be treated.  The prognosis is very good for Craig and the reason he started telling people was to raise awareness.

I thought that ShadowGram was the news arm of the Festival since they get their information from Jim Pierson, the festival chairman and the marketing/promotions person at Dan Curtis Productions.
They sent out the notice about Mr. Patrick's passing fairly quickly as they do with the passing of any DS actor.  I don't recall ever seeing news about the passing of any DS actor on the Festival website but I could certainly be wrong about that.   I don't visit there that often.  The festival  website could be considering the news already told when the "breaking news" ShadowGram announcements go out as in the case of Dennis Patrick.

Nancy

Nancy

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2002, 01:37:28 AM »
A few people emailed me after my post asking about Craig and emailing him good wishes.

Today is the day that Craig is having the surgery. I'm sure he would enjoy seeing some emails when he logs on from his laptop in a few days or so.:)

Craig writes more about his situation on http://www.darkshadowsonline.com and provides an email address there for anyone wishing to contact him.  

Nancy

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2002, 06:13:52 AM »
Mr. Patrick certainly had an extensive and impressive resume.  Hope to catch some of his other work in the future.  I caught a glimpse of him at the festival in Anaheim and know he was well-liked and personable.  Thoughtful that he would give his time to the DS festival event.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995