Author Topic: Eve's obsession....  (Read 8836 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Eve's obsession....
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »
I couldn't understand Eve's obsession, thought process and motivation at all, which was probably another reason why I never liked that whole Adam story line.  She was obviously an intelligent, highly self-serving woman, so instead of hanging around there, allowing herself to be put through all the crappola she had to endure in order to find some way to make things work for her favor, why didn't she just pack a bag, snitch some money from under Nicholas' mattress, and catch the first bus out of there?  I mean, would you put up with having to pretend you like some guy that would cause the cast of Extreme Makeover to scream, take the condescending attitude and bullishness of Nicholas, and why-oh-why would you want to get some wus to like you?

Gerard

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:35 PM »
I couldn't understand Eve's obsession, thought process and motivation at all, which was probably another reason why I never liked that whole Adam story line.  She was obviously an intelligent, highly self-serving woman, so instead of hanging around there, allowing herself to be put through all the crappola she had to endure in order to find some way to make things work for her favor, why didn't she just pack a bag, snitch some money from under Nicholas' mattress, and catch the first bus out of there?  I mean, would you put up with having to pretend you like some guy that would cause the cast of Extreme Makeover to scream, take the condescending attitude and bullishness of Nicholas, and why-oh-why would you want to get some wus to like you?
I tend to agree.  They did almost nothing with Eve.  She was there as a prop for the Adam story and I don't think the writers gave her much thought beyond,"hey wouldn't it be cool for Adam to have "Eve?"  Though based on her behavior she ought to have been called Lilith (Adam's first wife).

But then, the show didn't have very progressive attitudes about women at that time, so even "the most evil woman who ever lived" was still put her under the thumb of a man, and all her so-called "evil" was undercut by her obsessive love for a man who doesn't love her back (Peter) (sound familiar?).  Also, why she would have fallen for Peter doesn't make any sense either.  Why would she fall for a man who was as good and virtuous as Peter (the male equivalent of Vicki).  I mean, if anything, he comes across as even weaker in the qualities she looks for in a man than Adam himself!  At most he was the kind of man one thinks she would use rob and dump or kill.  But no, because she is a woman, she has to be all weak and "womanly" and dominated by men. 
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 05:22:35 PM »
Actually I was speaking about Adam not sleeping in that "green sweater" but I don't mind imagining him not sleeping in his PJs or anything else for that matter. haha

Oh, I understood you meant the green sweater. But you said that "for once he didn't sleep in it," so I was just trying to point out that chances are he didn't sleep in it more than once - which also goes back to your original point that he never took the green sweater off.  ;)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 05:53:55 PM »
I'd have to agree that there was most likely no other motivation for Eve other than (1) Nicholas wants to create another race so he needs another person, and (2) wouldn't it be cool if Adam had Eve? It's obvious that they were unsure of what to do with her, and so they used to her add in more unnecessary drama into the Vicki/Jeff/Peter (wow, that looks odd) relationship just to have something else to do with them so they wouldn't have to get married so soon. Not to mention the ratings boost they may have gotten from their breif stint back in 1795, which later became overused at the end of the 1897 storyline.

Perhaps Adam's storyline would've been better off without Eve, but then again without Eve we probably would've never had Marie Wallace, so I guess we just have to take the good with the bad on this one.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 09:17:10 PM »
I love Eve. I can't keep a straight face when she's in a scene. I am laughing now just thinking about it. At this stage of the game the show may as well be a comedy (as far as I'm concerned). It's the only way I can get thru it. Personally, I think it's this portion of the show that earned DS it's 'camp' reputation.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 01:27:13 AM »
It's everything else in the storyline that ruins DSs reputation, except C Blackburn and J Karlen, who kept acting like real actors no matter what, and added a lot of reality in the few moments they were on.     I think Marie Wallace's appearance started to turn things around.  She had real life and presence, and seemed to want to be there.   And at no time was the character "weak and womanly and dominated by men".    She knew her own self-interest and was biding her time so that she could leave in a better state than some woman in a black nightgown thumbing a ride or asking for handouts.  She didn't even know what a bus was, had no money, and knew better than to fumble her way into a completely unfamiliar world on her own.     Was she going to get a job someplace?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2007, 02:24:36 AM »
I love Eve. I can't keep a straight face when she's in a scene. I am laughing now just thinking about it. At this stage of the game the show may as well be a comedy (as far as I'm concerned). It's the only way I can get thru it. Personally, I think it's this portion of the show that earned DS it's 'camp' reputation.
Oh, I love Eve, too.  Marie definitely has fun with the role, and I so love here story about how she got the part, deliberately waiting to be the last one at call backs, seeing what it was that DC wanted and teasing up her hair! LOL

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2007, 02:32:13 AM »
It's everything else in the storyline that ruins DSs reputation, except C Blackburn and J Karlen, who kept acting like real actors no matter what, and added a lot of reality in the few moments they were on.     I think Marie Wallace's appearance started to turn things around.  She had real life and presence, and seemed to want to be there.   And at no time was the character "weak and womanly and dominated by men".    She knew her own self-interest and was biding her time so that she could leave in a better state than some woman in a black nightgown thumbing a ride or asking for handouts.  She didn't even know what a bus was, had no money, and knew better than to fumble her way into a completely unfamiliar world on her own.     Was she going to get a job someplace?
Good points all, and to be fair she was much stronger (or at least more defiant) than Ang of that period (Ang in whiney voice - "master, he's being mean to me...make 'im stoooooopppppp!")

But I still can't imagine a woman like her wanting someone like Peter for anything more than a patsy.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 02:55:25 AM »
agreed.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2007, 01:53:43 AM »

i agree.it's here that the show(quite deservedly)begins to become known for high camp. :-X
during this period i alternated between being amused and annoyed but i stopped being emotionally invloved.it was just too silly.

i think there were some episodes that actually had no human characters in them.just monsters!that's kind of hard to take seriously.since the 1968 monsters were essentially disposable characters i didn't really "care" about what happened to them.

that said i was surprised that i did enjoy marie wallace's portrayal of eve.i thought she injected a(much needed)bit of naughtiness and fun to an otherwise dull,dour storyline.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 02:15:50 AM »
I can see why some see the show as camp, but I never did seeing as how I NEVER stopped being emotionally involved with the characters and stories no matter how silly they may be at times. But hey that's just me.

After all Barnabas and Quentin weren't born monsters, but got turned into them as adults, but you could see they clearly did NOT want to be monsters......that was what kept me emotionally involved with them.

Granted the Adam/Eve story was silly at times, but when you take the premise what their true purpose was for Nicholas, [spoiler]and that was to create a master race of super beings devoted to serving Nicholas and the forces of evil[/spoiler] it's actually pretty chilling.

I think part of the reason DS might be considered campy was because of the numerous bloopers, but to me that only added to its appeal. I mean if DS can screw up on almost a regular basis with actors messing up lines, falling sets, flys flying around actor's noses and so fourth, yet the stories are so emotionally compelling, the acting brilliant that you can still take it seriously then I think that's the work of a really great show.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 02:28:49 AM »
I can see why some see the show as camp, but I never did seeing as how I NEVER stopped being emotionally involved with the characters and stories no matter how silly they may be at times. But hey that's just me.

It's not just you.  :)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 05:17:07 AM »
I think DS was apopropriated temporarily by cynical TV idiots, the kinds of network people who pressured every other show to go "camp" because of the success of Batman.    Lost in Space went from being an intermittently respectable space adventure for intelligent kids, with some real science-fiction content, to goofiness.     This was done by people who didn't enjoy DS or Lost in Space, or anything imaginative, and didn't enjoy what they turned these shows into, either.    They thought it was all trash, and thought making it all stupider would increase ratings, because people like stupid, because they are stupid, to these executives.  I think it was just that cynical.

I'm not dismissing DS in 1968 as trash.   I think the conscientious people working on it must have been at odds with people pressuring them from above.   The show was compromised, but at least they were working on 1969/1897 while putting out the 1968 episodes.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 05:35:30 AM »
The person who pretty much thought people like stupid because they are stupid was actually someone who worked within DS. And that person was constantly battling with the writers over the content of the show and often threatened to fire them if they didn't follow his ideas.  [wink2]  And many fans have often opined that DS was often successful in spite of this person rather than because of him...

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 06:42:26 AM »
Hmmm, now who could you possibly be talking about..?..  >:D[wink2]

The person who pretty much thought people like stupid because they are stupid was actually someone who worked within DS. And that person was constantly battling with the writers over the content of the show and often threatened to fire them if they didn't follow his ideas.  [wink2]  And many fans have often opined that DS was often successful in spite of this person rather than because of him...
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/