Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0203  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0203
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:32:08 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0203
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:37:20 AM »
If only Elizabeth knew how dismayed Jason is by Willie's arrival at Collinwood!  She could work on that - assuming she could stop quaking in her ugly shoes long enough to do so.  (I know the shoes are ugly because I have learned my lesson from Midnite: there are no nice shoes on Dark Shadows.)  But instead she believes, I suppose, that this is the first in a long line of disreputable friends that Jason is planning on installing at Collinwood, and there is nothing - nothing! - that she can do about it except hope that they don't appropriate the drawing room for their poker game.

James Hall's Willie sort of reminds me of Bush 43.  How many girls has he actually picked up with that act of his?

Vicky.  Gets blocked from leaving the study by Willie, and then tells Jason and Elizabeth, "Well, um, he didn't do anything."   Oh, well, I shouldn't be so hard on Vicky.  Maybe, all unbeknownst to us, she is saving up her governess pay for a real, functioning brain instead of that Fisher Price model she's got now.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
I know Willie is dumb, but what comes across for me is how completely he lives in his own mental world that consists of his likes and dislikes and wants and hates, with no clue that things he feels toward people and the world might not be how the world really is.   If a remark makes him feel insulted, that other person hurt Willie and is bad.   And so on.   That's a really dangerous attitude because you can't you can never break through the force field of his self-obsessedness.   

I don't think Willie came up with a technique to get dates, that he thinks will work.  I think he's so generally snide and resentful that he can't be bothered coming up with a "technique", because women should just do what he says.   He makes a little uncomfortable small talk just so after it turns out she doesn't want him (which he expects), he can say he "gave her a chance" to like him and be "nice".   They failed the test, so he can stop being considerate, and just "take".

If episode 210 hadn't come along, Willie would have become one of the worst monsters on DS...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:26:42 PM »
I always thought it was funny that Mrs. Johnson is such a terrible cook--it serves Willie right!

When Elizabeth tries to get rid of Willie, Jason reminds her about the last, horribly explicit detail of that night eighteen years ago.

When Elizabeth and Jason rescue Vicki, she answers Elizabeth's question accurately. Elizabeth asks if Willie touched her, and honest Vicki is forced to admit he didn't. In those days, sexual harrassment hadn't been given a name yet. Rape victims hardly dared press charges because they knew they themselves would end up being on trial. There's nothing wrong with Vicki's brain, just the culture she was in.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
I know Willie is dumb,

Oh, no. No, no, no. Not you, Holy Water.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MysticScribe

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »
To me at least, the energy level was low again in the first scene with Jason and Willie. It was almost painful to watch, being so leaden. Things pick up though, when Mrs. Johnson enters. We get a glimpse of how Jason and Willie probably worked together in the past on whatever cons or scams they pulled. Jason knows how to get on Mrs. J's good side, raving about her cooking, and Willie doesn't miss a beat in reinforcing the good will. Hall's performance wasn't bad during this exchange. When Mrs. J mentions her late husband was a seaman, J&W know how to work that commonality to their advantage. The info also reveals Sarah's partiality for seafaring men; married to a sailor and her unrequited love for Bill Malloy.

Willie: Is the food really good here?

Jason: It's atrocious. The woman burns everything to death.

How does Mrs. J keep her job if the food is that lousy? The Collinses are either very forgiving, order take-out or have damaged palates.  After Jason, acting like he owns the place, sends Willie to the study, he employs the sleazy tactics with Liz. A nice contrast to what we just saw with Mrs. Johnson. With Mrs. J, it's honey, with Liz, vinegar. Poor Liz. I kind of wish Bill Malloy was still around, I'd have loved to see Bill and Jason square off.

In the study, Willie's in full-on masher mode. Vicki had a pretty good sized, hard cover book in her hand, but I guess it didn't occur to the sweet ingenue to bash him in the face with it or jam a corner of it into his eye.
"I think I'll just go into Collinsport and get drunk." ~ Tim Shaw

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »
Poor Elizabeth, now she has to put up with two good-for-nothing freeloaders. And this latest one has just proven he's going to be a problem with the girls right off the bat. I know Jason doesn't really want Willie at Collinwood anymore than Elizabeth does, but once he saw that Willie wasn't going to allow him to give him the bum's rush, Jason goes back to bullying and threatening Elizabeth into allowing Willie to move in. I think at this point I think Jason DOES consider himself the lord of the manner...unofficially of course. [spoiler] I think it was always Jason's gameplan from the day he arrived in Collinsport to force Elizabeth to marry him. [/spoiler] Right now he's testing the waters, seeing how much he can push Elizabeth around. Unfortunately, Elizabeth is proving to be the perfect doormat for him, so he's probably very pleased with himself.

Still I did find it funny how Jason is endlessly praising Mrs. Johnson's cruisine to Willie in front of her, and once she's gone, he admits how terrible her cooking really is. Maybe the reason the family keeps her on is out of loyalty to her late employer, Bill Malloy.

I realize Vicki was just trying to be fair, but her fear of Willie is by no means unjustified. I think any woman would be in danger standing a few feet away from him. I have the feeling that Willie is the type of guy who would beat a woman if she did anything to make him mad...which, considering his temperment, wouldn't be hard to do.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »
The is a phone in the study which makes four phones on the first floor and none on the second. Mrs j 's cooking must really be terrible considering all the places Jason must have eaten in his travels.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Watching Project

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »
The Robservations caps for this ep have been posted.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »
I know Willie is dumb,

Oh, no. No, no, no. Not you, Holy Water.

He's not?  Well, Karlen's version seems a bit smarter, right from the start.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 10:17:12 PM »
One of my pet peeves where Willie is concerned is how often he's seen as a dummy when
[spoiler]he is released from Wyndecliff.[/spoiler] Mostly I see it in fan fiction though.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 11:11:05 PM »
One of my pet peeves where Willie is concerned is how often he's seen as a dummy when
[spoiler]he is released from Wyndecliff.[/spoiler] Mostly I see it in fan fiction though.

[spoiler]He's unbalanced after Wyndcliffe (excellent job once again, psychiatry...), rather than less smart.   He keeps claiming Barnabas was very good to him before, but I blame the writers for doing that to force Barnabas into the protagonist role, by dowplaying all the previous evil, and expecting us to forget.   Willie #2 has a sort of plain-spoken sense and perception, when sane.[/spoiler]