Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 726381 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow - I just checked the poll, and not only did DS climb up a full percent, it's practically a full percent higher than TDKR:

"The Hunger Games"  51.05%
"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2"  37.1%
"Dark Shadows"  3.26%
"Snow White and the Huntsman"  2.53%
"The Dark Knight Rises"  2.28%
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"  2.11%
"The Avengers"  1.02%
"The Amazing Spider-Man"  0.45%
"Skyfall"  0.15%
"Prometheus"  0.05%

It's also very odd that The Avengers is so low considering that on Fandango's survey it appeared on both the men's and the women's lists. But then, as I said, this would seem to be a poll with mostly young women voting, and I guess they're not into that film as much as older women would seem to be...

145 days 2 hours 21 minutes 47 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just checked the poll, and DS has moved up another percent:

"The Hunger Games"  46.27%
"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2"  40.8%
"Dark Shadows"  4.28%
"Snow White and the Huntsman"  2.9%
"The Dark Knight Rises"  1.9%
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"  1.79%
"The Avengers"  0.99%
"Skyfall"  0.63%
"The Amazing Spider-Man"  0.39%
"Prometheus"  0.05%

DS, TTS:BD-P2, SWaTH and Skyfall (though that one doesn't even have a full percent) are the only ones that have gone up since last I checked. And it'll be interesting to see if voting in the poll lasts long enough for TTS:BD-P2 to possibly overtake THG...

144 days 10 hours 17 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, I see that not only has DS gone up almost another full percent, even though SWaTH also went up, DS has extended its lead over that film by more that 2%:

"The Hunger Games"  44.97%
"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2"  41.32%
"Dark Shadows"  5.12%
"Snow White and the Huntsman"  3%
"The Dark Knight Rises"  1.83%
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"  1.71%
"The Avengers"  1.05%
"Skyfall"  0.58%
"The Amazing Spider-Man"  0.36%
"Prometheus"  0.05%

And THG continues to fall, while TTS:BD-P2 continues to climb...

144 days 6 hours 45 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, it's happened: TTS:BD-P2 has overtaken THG:

"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2"  43.06%
"The Hunger Games"  42.54%
"Dark Shadows"  6.3%
"Snow White and the Huntsman"  3.11%
"The Dark Knight Rises"  1.63%
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"  1.55%
"The Avengers"  0.93%
"Skyfall"  0.51%
"The Amazing Spider-Man"  0.32%
"Prometheus"  0.04%

But the more interesting thing from our POV is obviously that DS has jumped up more than another full percent and now has a percentage that's more than twice that of SWaTH. Though as has been proven tonight already, anything can happen in that poll, so who knows how long any of the current standings will last?

144 days 1 hours 54 minutes 34 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
What truly amazes me is the fact that a film that has zero publicity can garner so many votes...  How do people know about this thing?   [santa_cheesy]

Thanks for keeping us updated, MB! 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, MTV's Web site has done numerous articles on DS, so that may be how MTV's regular visitors know. And, of course, there's the link to the poll that was posted here by jimbo. And perhaps the link has also been posted on other DS sites.  [santa_smiley]

One thing I keep forgetting to mention is that apparently one can vote numerous times in MTV's polls, so once again the results aren't as valid as I would like them to be. But even at that, it's still nice to see DS currently leading the films in the NTHGOTTSBDP2* category.  [santa_thumb]

144 days 0 hours 52 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

(* Not-The-Hunger-Games-Or-The-Twilight-Saga:-Breaking-Dawn-Part-2)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
So the DS Fandom is polluting the waters, eh?    [santa_evil]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
What on earth is the hunger games?  Surprising to see it getting more play than the Avengers and the Dark Knight's erector-set.

I am amazed at how much buzz there is around Depp Shadows as well.  For it to be so much in the air, given how heavily hyped other projects on sched for next year are... that's pretty remarkable.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmmm - I just looked in on the poll and seemingly my thoughts about it not being all that valid have come into play big time because apparently someone used some of that poll voting software that I mentioned in connection to the results in the previous poll because THG shot back up to 47% - and that would have been pretty much impossible to have happened by people simply voting the normal way because it would have taken thousands of votes in only a little more than an hour's time.

Interestingly, when I tried to refresh the results after my first viewing, the entire poll disappeared. Who knows if MTV has taken it down because of poll stuffing, or if the poll simply crashed because of the stuffing. But either way, I did notice that DS had fallen down to 5.33% (and TTS:BD-p2 had fallen down to 40%) because so many THG votes were cast. Apparently these people who use that sort of voting software will never learn that all they really manage to do is ruin things for the rest of us.  [santa_angry]

144 days 0 hours 24 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I see that there's now a message that the poll is closed. But there's no results. So, who knows what happened? But I strongly suspect that it might have crashed.

Well, even though its percentage had fallen due to what was going on with THG's voting, at least DS was still at #3. And considering that it would certainly seem like something underhanded was going on with the voting for THG, that may be even more significant than it seems because, with a percentage of 5.33%, obviously no one was using voting software for DS, so its votes were all real votes.

143 days 11 hours 59 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmmm - even though the following article was posted on the 15th, I didn't receive a Google Alert for it until today. But better late than never, I suppose. Check out what Michelle Pfeiffer has to say about DS down in the 4th quarter of the article:

Efron, Pfeiffer reunite to ring in 2012 early

143 days 10 hours 58 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
What I think is odd about all of this is the distinct split we have in the "feel" of the interviews.  Take for example Eva Green and HBC, neither of whom were fans of the original.  Their interviews all have a certain "feel" to them.  They use words like "funny" and "hard to explain", etc. And then we hear from people like Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer, who were fans, and the interviews cast a different light on the project.  They emote a lot of excitement about the project and the original show. I don't know if the difference is due to nationality or how they viewed the project, but, for me, it's extremely comforting to hear from people like Michelle Pfeiffer.  Her sense of nostalgia for the original probably clouds her perception of this project a bit, but it is comforting nonetheless. 

I would have loved to have seen the on-set dynamic.  There has to be a middle ground in the descriptions, and I think that is going to pan itself out in the final film.  Perhaps this is another reason that we haven't received a trailer yet - because Tim and Warners can't agree on the feel needed for the marketing of the film.  All in all, the whole thing sounds very complex, and that has me intrigued. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
interesting observation cb...

moretz's interviews have a different "feel" as well. something of a reverence for burton's work from the 1980's like "beetlejuice" which she probably grew up on.

for what it's worth hbc is likely the only castmember(other than depp, of course)who's been privy to any of the postproduction work or is having any familiarity for the way the final film is being edited and what it's tone will be.

as for the film's marketing it's hard to guess. a current project that comes to mind is the new charlize theron film "young adult". it's being marketed as a light comedy starring the pretty actress but most reviews i've read describe it in much darker terms with theron playing a highly unlikable, selfish character. but i guess that's harder to sell to a mass audience.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I think the whole HBC think was blown out of proportion.  She didn't say it was "junk" in the video I saw. And even if she did I think she was probably referring to it as junk in the sense of production values. I don't think she was talking about the actors performances, although they could be at times over the top. The whole thing was totally blown out of proportion on Facebook.  Of course there are many people that hated this movie before it even started.  I am so glad I am open to new interpretations of DS. I am glad I am not close minded so I can enjoy Dark Shadows as long as I live. I am child of the 1991 version and most people here know how much I ADORED that show. However, I started watching the original and loved it for it's own merit.  I haven't seen the pilot but I think I would love it from what people have told me and from the things I have read. I adore Barabara Steele, Grayson, and Joanna Going but I am in no means going to compare them to Helena or Bella Heathcorte.

I think the reason for no trailer is Tim/Depp are probably really having a hard time. This is both a SPECIAL project and life long dream for Johnny.  I am sure they are wanting nothing more than to get it right.  It seems like Alice was pushed back a bit because of editing.  I cannot remember for sure.

There have been so many different comments it's hard to judge what exactly the movie will be like.  I am sure there are humorous parts.  The concept of being pulled into a totally different time (for Barnabas) could be funny.  TVs, mini skirts and 70's language, hippies and cars will probably FREAK Cousin Barnabas out.

That being said. I have enjoyed what I have heard from Eva, Chloe, Helena, Michelle and Johnny. And the picture sealed the deal for me. Once I saw it it sort of helped ease any fears I had.  

I may walk out the theater and eat my words but for some reason I doubt I will.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I don't think that Alice was pushed back, but it was filmed wayyyy before the release date and had I think about 15 months of post-production.  But that film was unusual because there was a ton of CGI, and most of it was filmed with green screen.  Most of Tim's films don't take that long in post-production because he prefers to use real effects and real sets when possible.

I'm surprised that no teaser or poster has been released yet, but maybe they just didn't want to compete with the year-end holiday films and Oscar-bait films.  After the holidays there is usually a lull in new releases, and maybe DS could get more pre-release attention that way.  (I know, I'm probably grasping at straws here, but it's just a thought  [santa_wink] )