Author Topic: KLS and Selby on PBS last night  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: KLS and Selby on PBS last night
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 11:25:09 PM »
I have never been a fan of PBS.  However, I don't really look at it is as a slap in the face.  KLS and David and DS are forever a part of the 60's.  Plus I doubt that they did it for PBS as much as they did it to promote themselves!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:37:45 AM »
yes i believe this took place in the late 80s early 90s and then sci-fi began broadcasting every episode and fans probably stopped caring about the pbs/ds fiasco.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 01:57:50 AM »
I don't know much about that era as I didnt encounter DS until 1991.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 01:58:37 AM »
When I was a kid (sixteen being a kid, now that I am elderly), I watched DS on a local cable channel in Boston. Channel 56! I don't recall that it was broadcast on any PBS station. But I have this to say; PBS introduced me to Monty Python, and many other crazy comedies and outstanding films, Caesar & Cleopatra starring Claude Rains & Vivien Leigh, et al. I have supported PBS in many of their drives, particularly when they have had guests such as Peter, Paul and Mary, John Denver, The Bee Gees, etc. To watch any of these presentations can be a nightmare because of the many interruptions, but PBS brings many, many outstanding shows and information to us. Selby and KLS are helping to support the PBS stations and kudos to them. The amount of info that public broadcasting brings to us, and the quality that they do, PBS deserves high alcolades, IMHO.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 02:03:20 AM »
PBS was very cool in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 03:37:30 AM »
Lynn Samuels used to host a talk show on WABC 770-AM in New York City.  I recall that Ms. Samuels urged her listeners NOT to send any money to WNET, Channel 13, the local PBS station in New York City, because the executives of that station saw nothing at all wrong with spending funds to build a gym for their own exclusive use or to spend $10,000 on a conference table for themselves.

I, too, donated money to the now-defunct WNYC, NYC's very own public station, to keep Dark Shadows on the air.  The woman who took over that station as its chief executive decided that she did not like a "kitschy" show like Dark Shadows on her PBS station, and, had it yanked from the air.  Fortunately, when David Dinkins became the new mayor of New York City, that new PBS station executive also got the heave-ho.  ( I was tempted to write her and inform that she, too, had been a victim of the dreaded Collins Family Curse.  But, I didn't want to kick her while she was down, even if she did deserve the needle, imo!)   

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 03:46:51 AM »
Kathryn Leigh Scott looks wonderful.  I don't feel she was promoting herself just supporting PBS...Nova..Charlie Rose..Keeping Up Appearances..All I can say is TLAT KLS!!  She wrote me a note when I asked if she would consider writing a book of DS characters specifically Josette/Barn/Maggie/Lady Kitty..well she is writng her book BUT not about DS characters.  Too bad.  [spoiler]Josette taking poison was a bit much at the end of the 1897 storyline.[/spoiler] I was hoping she would put some closure on that for some of the DS fans who liked that romance.    So am I waiting for her next book to get published.  I liked Murder in Prime Time and hopefully she keeps up with the same character. KLS is still lovely!
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 03:53:39 AM »
Well KLS is a fierce businesswoman and that is all I have to say about that.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 04:59:42 AM »
KLS is like us, apparently, from what I am given to understand, and enjoys our phenomenon.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 10:00:16 PM »
I don't hate KLS.  In fact, I love her so much that I was was gonna do a zine about her until it feel through.  I also know that KLS loves her fans.  However, I also know KLS is a business in and of herself.  Any chance she has to be seen and/or heard I am sure she will grab and there is nothing wrong with that.  I wasn't trying to belittle her in the least.  [ghost_wink]  I just wanted you all know know that.