Author Topic: Edit on DS Collectors set 6  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Edit on DS Collectors set 6
« on: November 07, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
I know this is a very minor one here, but I'll mention it anyway.

This is on the first episode John Karlen appears as Willie Loomis. 

On reruns and the VHS tapes, following the opening title sequence, there is a
slide of Collinwood with the DS logo and the announcer states "The part of Willie Loomis will be played by John Karlen".  This is missing in the DVD set.

I know it doesn't impact anything storywise but it is still part of the show and is a demarcation of the new Willie Loomis.  Also, since it is a recast it should have been included.

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Edit on DS Collectors set 6
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:03:22 PM »
Bummer. I agree it should have been left in. Anyone know why it's missing?
Sally Collins

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 09:53:55 PM »
Damn.

Major bummer.

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 11:21:56 PM »
How many times do we have to tell MPI to instruct their authoring dept that we don't want ANY edits on the DS discs?

Since this is the final release, complaints are pretty much pointless.  Thanks to Joey for letting us know.

G.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 01:22:54 AM »
Oh, well. I was curious about that, especially considering the dozen or so episodes that declared that "The role of Burke Devlin will now be played by Anthony George."
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:52:58 AM »
Joeytrom, Thanks for the heads up. I just got my copy of Collection 6. I am now on collection 5 with plans to watch all of the DVD's to the end. I'm really enjoying this. [hall2_grin]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 05:38:33 AM »
I thought I was going crazy.  Thanks for letting me know what happend.  I had watched that one ep of the early episodes YEARS ago. 

Has anyone noticed that sometimes it seems like the show is in a weird slow mo, the mouths are moving right with the sound but it has this odd look about it.  I was wondering if it was just on my set.

Finally, if they can restore kinescope episodes, then I wish they would have done that to them all.   I wouldn't mind paying a little extra. 

All in all a good collection.  Another question!?  The extra footage from 191 doesn't really seem extra to me except for the part that has no picture and you can hear people talking.  I don't know, I have only watched this ep once so I may be missing something.

I think we should have gotten some better extras but that is just me.   I have to say that I loved the old Joan Bennett news reels, because I am fascinated with anything OLD HOLLYWOOD! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »
And I was really looking forward to seeing that again.  Geez.  Why would they remove that awesome little piece?  Well, I'll have to hunt down my Sci Fi tape and put it in a safe place.  I know it's on there.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »
Maybe there's a fan out there with an eye for detail and a heart of gold that will use the original VHS tapes to rip a nice compilation of all of the episodes known to be edited or missing footage? Excellent idea! Yes, someone should get started on this right away [ghost]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »
I know I feel sad anytime I think about never again hearing a Bronx-accented male voice off-camera bellowing at darling Bathia Mapes: "Go to the house!"

I'd pay for a compilation of special moments that MPI's goody-two-shoes DVD staff edited out of the discs...

G.

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
Just finished watching the collection this week. I'm sorry they didn't include the voice over. I've really enjoyed the openings with the announcing of the episode numbers and the occasional appearances of DS regulars, especially Alexandra Moltke, who always appeared to be smiling and having a great time.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 02:37:02 AM »
Update on my complaint about a slo mo look.  It's my DVD player.  I think I have worn it out.  I have burned over three hundred videos I had collected since my family bought a 1000 K VCR in 1984! All stuff I had recorded from television. It's hard to fathom that at one time they cost so much.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/