Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0255  (Read 937 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0255
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
Robservations - #255

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0255

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
"London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down...."

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
Once again it's either scary or reassuring how much my thoughts are the same as they were five years ago.  Today I read Gothick's mention of The Collector with Terence Stamp and Samantha Eggar, and I thought: "Hmm, Terence Stamp."  Sure enough, in my post after Gothick's five years ago, I mentioned Terence Stamp.  And I don't remember noticing five years ago, as I did today, all the references to madness in this episode - but I talked about them then.  All this business about people getting more out of their experiences as they grow older may be utter hogwash.  They don't see more; they've just forgotten what they saw before.

It isn't all the same, however.  Previously I had accepted the idea that somehow it was Barnabas's conscience that brought Sarah into play, but today I started wondering if it was Josette that did it.  I don't know why Josette would have waited so long to act.  Maybe she sort of liked the idea of being re-created, until Maggie started to fight back seriously.  Still, the idea of Josette's involvement grows, I assume, out of my having seen the pre-Barnabas episodes, which I hadn't done five years ago.  Five years from now, when the Watching Project comes around to these episodes again, I daresay I'll be writing, "Been there, done that, nothing more to say."  Never mind.  I'll still love it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:31:44 PM »
All this business about people getting more out of their experiences as they grow older may be utter hogwash.  They don't see more; they've just forgotten what they saw before.

Can't watch episodes, so I'm just responding to this idea in the abstract.   I wonder about this.   I think we do undervalue our younger, earlier experiences of things, and they can often be fuller and stronger, more vital, and as legitimate as older experiences of the same things (films, books, etc, anything).   Still, experiencing them when older can add a very new, fresh, more complicated, realistic, and mature perspective that may or may not be "superior" to the younger experience, but may be a great additional perspective.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:42:34 PM »
Interesting ideas. I think you do remember stuff from when you were younger--it's just in deep storage.

I always thought that Barnabas's arrival "awakened" Sarah. [spoiler]Somehow she sensed his presence and is trying to find him. She will tell us very soon that she's lonely and looking for her family.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:54:08 PM »
"Awakened" is a good way to put it.  Ghosts never seem more than half-awake.  Maybe they only rise as far as that inbetween-awake-and-sleeping state we're on sometimes, on our way in or out of sleep.   Maybe it's not that hard to nudge a ghost like Josette back into her/his normal mostly-asleep state, if you know how, or if you have one foot in the spirit world already, which might be the case if you're, say, a vampire.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:07 AM »
"London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down...."

Yeah. It seems I am more tolerable of this song and the music box than when I was a young person.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 06:49:20 AM »
Maggie is allowed upstairs and in that smock she looks like a peasant girl nd so out of place. Barnabas threatens Sam. Now why not go all out and tell Maggie Sam will live only if she becomes Josette.  Joe comes to deliver the news that a body is found suspected to be Maggie and is Barnabas behind this?  A little girl sings London Bridge and I am not sick of it yet and the credits roll tht she is Sarah Collins.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times