Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0004  (Read 3741 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0004
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:30:21 PM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0004
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »
Nice bit of interrogation there, Rog. All that was missing was a rubber hose and a lamp with a 200 watt bulb shining in Vicky’s face.
Yeah, Roger’s a “really a nice guy”.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:23:27 AM »
I love Carolyn's joke that at the stroke of twelve, her uncle Roger will turn into Dracula!

We have the first (but far from the last) blooper: Elizabeth has trouble opening the drawing-room doors to let Vicki in for her inquisition. But in these early days Vicki actually stands up for herself.

WELCOME DAVID HENESY!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
And I almost forgot--as Vicki sits up in bed reading, we have our very first storm at Collinwood!  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »
And I almost forgot--as Vicki sits up in bed reading, we have our very first storm at Collinwood!  [ghost_grin]

Did it ever stop?!

Janet, are you watching these now?   Carolyn: "We really should have this door soundproofed, don't you think?"  (to the Drawing Room)   Why yes, I think they should.   ***   Louis Edmonds has this look, which says he's so afraid that it'sall he can do to hold himself together, just barely, yet he at least believes he isn't letting it show.   That's a lot to communicate with just one expression.

Yes, WELCOME DAVID COLLINS!!   [spoiler]Thanks, we hate you too, you impish prankster, you![/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 02:31:44 AM »
Janet, are you watching these now?   

No. I don't have volumes 1 & 2 of the DVDs. I've seen these episodes a few times before and am now relying on memory and utilizing the fabulous Robservations. I want to belong!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:59:57 AM »
i know i think they destroyed a LOT of what "Vicki" originally became i think she had more of a brain in her head than she did later on. & i loved the fact that she stood up to herself. but than i think they forgot at some point that she was a good character at some point. i dunno.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:54:27 AM »
I've never before thought of Vicky as a particularly talkative person, but maybe her volubility is one of the reasons I don't like her much.  If I'd been sitting on the sofa in the drawing room while Roger Collins hurled ridiculous accusations at me, I'd have just gone monosyllabic on him, whereas Vicky went monologous.

Between the accusations, Roger made a couple of good points.  It is indeed surprising that Burke Devlin took the train to Collinsport, and it is quite a coincidence that he took the same train as Vicky did.

Joan Bennett and Louis Edmonds were just great in their drawing room scenes.  I thought Elizabeth looked pretty awful with her hair down, and I liked that.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »
Run, Vicki!  Run!!!!!

I love Carolyn's joke that at the stroke of twelve, her uncle Roger will turn into Dracula!

Same here!  Interesting follow up, too:  "He won't bite."

i loved the fact that she stood up to herself."

She defended herself really well.

Between the accusations, Roger made a couple of good points.  It is indeed surprising that Burke Devlin took the train to Collinsport, and it is quite a coincidence that he took the same train as Vicky did.

True, but Liz sought Vicki out and not the other way around (wouldn't it be an even bigger coincidence that Liz would offer a job to someone that also knew Burke?), and isn't the nearest airport 50 miles away in Bangor?

I found it surprising that Liz left Vicki alone in the drawing room with Roger.  And the first thing he did was close the doors, ulp.  Then he offered her brandy!

The late Florence Stanley, aka Mrs. Fish, provided the sobbing.

I didn't notice Vicki's backless slip-ons before, and I like them.  OMG, mscbryk, I really said that!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:20:43 AM »
Nice to have you commenting, Midnite!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »
Why, thank you, MT!

OMG, mscbryk,
Er, make that michael c.  [ghost_happy]

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 05:35:54 AM »
you know in these early episodes i don't like the characer "Roger" cause he's a terrible father. & a terrible human being as well. [spoiler]though he did end up later carring for David. who also in the early episodes what another one that i didn't like.

cause on how immature he also was. you tend to wonder why they didn't send him to a shrink than & not until much later? odd huh?[/spoiler] sorry i'm geting a big head of the episodes. i'm just thinking aloud i guess. one thing that's also great about "Vicki" in these early episodes

was she didn't say 'I don't understand" that much i'm curious on how many times she ended up DID saying it! & even more curious on "Alexandra M." response when she read the next script & what her response was!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:16 AM »
cause on how immature he also was. you tend to wonder why they didn't send him to a shrink than & not until much later? odd huh?

Fear over David spilling some family secrets to a stranger?   Roger not wanting his abuse to come out? 

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »
David's first appearance on DS was at the end of this episode. [milestone] For such a little boy, David sure was scary when he told Vicki, "I hate you!" [ghost_shocked]

Roger went a little overboard with his interrogation of Vicki.  [ghost_mad] But we find out later on that he had plenty of motivation for doing so.  [ghost_undecided]

Elizabeth/Joan Bennett sure was an attractive woman! [gorgeous] I figure she was the age that I am now. When I originally watched DS, David was close to my age. How things change as we get older!  [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58:20 PM »
First time Roger calls his niece "kitten"  [ghost_happy]