Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 354467 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #630 on: June 13, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
I was looking around YouTube and came across this featurette that we haven't posted about:

Mroczne Cienie - Fragment Filmu: Sketch to screen

I think everything on the page is written in Polish - though the featurette is in English, so it's interesting that Warner Brothers US doesn't seem to have also posted it.

33 days 11 hours 35 minutes 37 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #631 on: June 13, 2012, 07:54:14 PM »
As usual, DS's box office take went up on Tues., this week by an impressive 14%.  It made $206,145, bringing the domestic total to $74,173,028. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 13, 2012, 11:56:55 PM »
Thanks so much for posting Tuesday's numbers, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

And I see that once again DS came in 11th:

Tuesday's Box Office

33 days 18 hours 56 minutes 55 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »
Had my 4th viewing last night. About 50 people in a smaller auditorium, love the film more and more each time.
Though I still think the vomiting and teeth-brushing scenes need to go.
Saw it with a friend, and we've both concluded that Ray Shirley (nu-Mrs. Johnson) is a drag queen.
Anyone want to comment on this?

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 14, 2012, 06:46:30 PM »
I love it more each time I see it too, David.

And ACTUALLY, I'm feeling more like Eva Green belongs on the next season of RuPaul (can I say a million times how much I love her growl or her reading of the line, "Where on Route 9?").  I'd consider going as Greengelique for Halloween this year ...   [ghost_wink]
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

David

« Reply #635 on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:32 PM »
LOL, Green is VERY over the top, kinda drag-queenish when she crashes the party in that flaming red dress!
But she's very much a woman.
Not so sure about Ray Shirley....

David

« Reply #636 on: June 14, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »
DS is definitely winding down around here. Starting tomorrow it's down to one theater in town, two matinee shows a day, plus a few suburban locations. Get ready for the DVD!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 14, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
Judging by the theater pattern with other films this year, tomorrow DS should probably drop to about 700 theaters. Then the following Friday it could drop to somewhere around 250. However, it could quite possibly stay around that level for several weeks.

34 days 15 hours 43 minutes 19 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 14, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
I just checked on Wrath of the Titans, a Warner Brothers film whose domestic theater pattern DS has been similar to, and tomorrow it will be beginning its 12th and quite possibly final week in theaters. And the reason it could be its last week is because, if they haven't already done so, studios often tend to pull films out of theaters by the Thursday before their DVD/Blu-ray releases - and the Wrath of the Titans' DVD/Blu-ray comes out June 26th.

So, IF DS was to similarly stay in theaters for 12 weeks and then release its DVD/Blu-ray, which of course is not a given, but if, then its DVD/Blu-ray would not be coming out until August 7th. However, DS has not followed Wrath of the Titans' foreign release pattern in that DS didn't open in Latin and South America at the same time that it basically did in Europe, Asia and Africa, and Australia and New Zealand. DS doesn't begin to open in Latin and South America until June 22nd. And video piracy being what it is these days, Warner Brothers may hold off releasing DS on DVD/Blu-ray until after the film has run its course in Latin and South America - and who knows when that will be?

34 days 16 hours 34 minutes 50 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2012, 10:29:01 PM »
DS doesn't begin to open in Latin and South America until June 22nd. And video piracy being what it is these days, Warner Brothers may hold off releasing DS on DVD/Blu-ray until after the film has run its course in Latin and South America - and who knows when that will be?

Maybe the Latin and South America film release dates fit into a plan for a Halloween home video release?  If we're looking at about two months or so for DS to play out in the US, allowing for two months of release in those other markets would mean that they could comfortably schedule a September or October DVD/Blu-ray release without conflicting with theatrical exhibition.  I've got my credit card ready whenever it goes up for sale!!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
Someone on one of the Depp boards that I was checking out a few weeks back had posted that they'd heard the DS DVD/Blu-ray is supposed to come out on September 25th - but they didn't say where they'd gotten that info. But it would follow your theory, KMR.

34 days 17 hours 34 minutes 2 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 14, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »
On Wednesday DS brought in $181,241, which brings its current domestic gross stands at $74,354,269. And something that's interesting about the amount it brought in is that it's like $200 more than it brought in on Monday whereas normally Wednesday is the day of the week on which most films bring in their lowest box office take. But this Wednesday several films did better than they did on Monday, including a few of the other films around DS' placement on the chart, which was again 11th:

Wednesday's Box Office

I also checked the theater count for tomorrow and, as expected, DS will be dropping down to 680 theaters.

34 days 18 hours 18 minutes 2 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:50 AM »
I don't know about Ray Shirley - but I do know that one of the funniest bits in the film for my friends and I is when Mrs. Johnson just suddenly zooms in and out of frame while she's presumably on a riding lawn mower during the "Top of the World" montage.  [ghost_grin]

And just for you, Nicky:
[spoiler]<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/DeppDS/Route9.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/DeppDS/Route9.swf</a>[/spoiler]
(You may need to right-click on the image and uncheck/check "play" to start it. And you may need to uncheck "play" to stop it.)

34 days 19 hours 12 minutes 50 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2012, 03:56:22 AM »
I don't know about Ray Shirley - but I do know that one of the funniest bits in the film for my friends and I is when Mrs. Johnson just suddenly zooms in and out of frame while she's presumably on a riding lawn mower during the "Top of the World" montage.  [ghost_grin]

That was my favorite of all the sight gags. 

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2012, 06:22:24 AM »
I'd love a remix of it.  "Where-where-where-where where off route 9?  Wh-wh-where off r-r-r-route 9?  Nuh nuh nuh nine?"  Interspersed with the Vampire State Building's STUNNING rendition of "Barnabas".

(Thanks, MB.  You make my day.)
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"