Kitty Soames, Lady Hampshire (1897)
12 (23.1%)
Maggie Evans Collins (1970PT)
4 (7.7%)
Maggie Evans (hoDS)
4 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: January 18, 2005, 08:48:13 PM

Author Topic: Three Most Favorite KLS Characterizations  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Three Most Favorite KLS Characterizations
« on: January 01, 2005, 08:48:13 PM »
Thanks for supporting the first four polls, and here's another batch.  [santa_smiley]

After voting, please feel free to explain why you voted the way you did, or wait until after the poll expires on 01/18/05 to do so.  [santa_wink]

And again, have fun!

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Three Most Favorite KLS Characterizations
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 05:27:31 AM »
 I liked her as Maggie, especially in the early days when the character had some spark. I don't think she was good enough an actress to pull off the others.[sun]
MM

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 04:45:45 PM »
Another person I thought of as essential to the show.  She's been a favorite of mine since I first started watching DS when at around the age of 11 or 12. She was pretty and sweet as Maggie (I think I missed out on the short-haired hash slinging version back then - which I realized during the second time around was good in its own right) and the only person I will ever be able to think of as the beautiful Josette.  I wanted to look like her, have that bedroom and live in that romantic, candle-lit world.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 08:16:37 PM »
I voted for Maggie and Kitty. I liked Maggie in the early episodes, but I didn't like her later on when she constantly became the frightened victim. I loved Kitty in the beginning, especially since she was different from all the other characters. I didn't like her as much after they turned her from a golddigger into another Josette clone. I didn't like any of the other characters.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 05:45:19 AM »
My first choice: early Maggie Evans (not the hash/egg slinging waitress with the blond wig) but early Maggie Evans when she was living with her father and got attacked by Barnabas. I loved her quarrels with her father, her simplicity, that she came from the wrong side of the tracks and that she worked hard in a coffee shop and that her father was a struggling artist and that she told her Pop wistfully to "take care of himself" when she thought she was going to die. Very cool stuff and kinda sad. Later, though, Maggie became less of a person and more of the token doe-eyed victim without much intelligence. The same thing happened to Vickie Winters. KLS is not the best actress but she does have the ability to draw people into her performances.
2nd choice: Josette Duprey had the potential to be a fascinating person but KLS couldn't really bring it off. But I liked the character anyway.

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 06:13:55 AM »
  I will always feel Maggie was KLS' best character, so sweet and innocent but still able to take handsome Joe Haskel from the little rich girl who lived in that big house on the hill.  [santa_grin] then later to live in that big house herself as David's tutor.   

Josette was my second... although I don't believe KLS was given enough of this character to make her as solid and sincere as Maggie was.   [santa_huh]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline DSFan008

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 05:13:50 AM »
my favorite KLS roles where;

Maggie-she was just a very involved character, she was necessary for several arcs/stories

Josette- probably her best non-maggie role

Maggie collins(PT)-she was just so important plus watching her bridge the emotion gap in just about every episode was fun

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 01:53:01 PM »
I voted for Maggie and Kitty. I liked Maggie in the early episodes, but I didn't like her later on when she constantly became the frightened victim. I loved Kitty in the beginning, especially since she was different from all the other characters. I didn't like her as much after they turned her from a golddigger into another Josette clone. I didn't like any of the other characters.

Ahhh. Magtoria! I should copyright that, ya know? Magtoria was what she became after Alexandra Moltke left the show. You see, they needed a new engenue, and Maggie was ... well... there! And she was popular enough with the audience to have been inserted in that role at the time. So, Maggie-- VERY SADLY-- filled the shoes of Victoria Winters. Thus, Magtoria was born. I really hated that... As my husband put it, that's really character assassination. Maggie was a really good character, and admirable at some points. ~DJ

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 05:04:12 PM »
Magtoria was what she became after Alexandra Moltke left the show.

Magtoria - I LOVE IT!!  [laughing11]

So, Maggie-- VERY SADLY-- filled the shoes of Victoria Winters. Thus, Magtoria was born. I really hated that... As my husband put it, that's really character assassination.

Your husband must be a very astute man.  ;)

And BTW, welcome aboard!  :)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 06:18:08 PM »
I thought KLS' best acting in the series, by about a mile, was in 1966 when she and Joe were just starting to court.  She gives such depth to those scenes, particularly in the non-verbal part.

Her best moments post '67 were the too-few early episodes of Lady Kitty.  I loved it when she confronted Count Petofi, thinking he was behind the odd occurrences at Collinwood.  She seemed so fearless, yet she exuded a liquid charm that completely wowed the old fiend.

G.

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 06:51:18 PM »
   Now Lady Kitty I have yet to see. I think that's another storyline I've seen bits and pieces of, but I don't really remember anything short of the part where Lady Kitty ran a gloved hand down the door at Collinwood.

I've always thought her best acting shone through in the scenes where Maggie and Willie got into heated arguments. Especially [spoiler]when he had her concealed in the mausoleum.[/spoiler]  There were times, imo, when she just seemed too try a little too hard when she was in scenes with Joel Crothers. But as I was telling another ds fan through email, John Karlen's marvelous acting seemed to rub off on a lot of the other actors with whom he was in a scene with. ;) ~DJ

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 11:11:19 PM »
I loved her characterization of Kitty. I think it was the first time where I sat back and went wow. Now that I've seen the whole arc of the show, I do like the work she did in the early years, but she just sort of turned into this wimpy, sappy devoid of personality gal. Josette was sort of MaggieLite (even before MaggieLite turned into MaggieUltraLite. But Kitty? In the beginning? Completely different characterization. Very sharp, very real, very interesting.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 11:34:36 PM »
    I'm watching vol. 13 of the dvd series and it's actually laughable how Maggie will one day be in Victoria's clothing. And then the NEXT she'll have changed back into her OWN clothing. Maybe she couldn't bear Victoria's loss so she had to become her in order to compensate. lol

The truth of the matter is I think Maggie was going crazy, anyway, with her underlying knowledge of [spoiler]BEING BARNABAS' BASEMENT DWELLER[/spoiler] for a while. Throw everything else that happened to her into the mix and that very well could prove to be a logical explanation for her change. But to fill the position she eventually did? Still not buying it. ~DJ

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 10:37:22 PM »
I'm a bit surprised that Josette placed third. But I'm not at all surprised that Kitty did so well. If only KLS could have been given more roles like Kitty was initially written...

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 06:05:52 PM »
   If only they'd have allowed her to stick to her original way of playing Maggie. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, but didna. :(  ~DJ