Author Topic: Robservations 4/16/03 - #894/5-896 - Blanket Boy Falls Ill; Ms. Olivia Corey  (Read 1300 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
894/895 - Collinwood - David carries the damaged Naga book upstairs. Philip and Megan search the shop, to no avail, and agree that they serve "him", and whoever has taken the book will be tracked down--and killed!

Philip and Megan speculate on who took the book, and for what purpose. Megan senses the baby calling her, and Philip urges her to go check on him. After she leaves, he lifts up the Leviathan box. Megan screams for Philip, then dashes downstairs with the baby (aka Blanket Boy). Feel his head, he's warm, she says, frantic--I don't know when it started, but he was fine this afternoon--who can tell us what to do for him--a doctor? No, insists Philip, we must find the book!

Collinwood - David has placed the book into a big box. He brings it into the drawing room and closes and locks the door behind him. He's dressed in a suit, odd attire for a kid his age. He takes the book from the box and opens it. Carolyn comes out of the kitchen area and tries to open the door, but finds it locked. She's distracted by the ringing phone. It's Megan--sorry to bother you at home, she says, but something terrible has happened--did you happen to see a very old book? Philip is holding the baby. Not in English? questions Carolyn. Yes, that's it, says Megan--it's gone, and you were in the shop all afternoon--can you remember who else was here? Carolyn, biting her lip, asks, was the book valuable?  The nearly-hysterical Megan says yes, very! You'd have to be an expert in something to know it was valuable, muses Carolyn, not just anyone would pick it up. CAROLYN, WE'VE GOT TO FIND THAT BOOK! cries Megan. Don't get upset, says Carolyn, give me a chance to ask around about it. Calming herself with difficulty, Megan says it's not just the book, but the baby--he isn't feeling well. What did the doctor say? asks Carolyn.  I haven't called him, answers Megan.  Hang up and do so, right now, orders Carolyn--let me worry about the book--I might be able to get my hands on it very soon. Carolyn hangs up and gazes at the locked door, then says. "David! I know you're in there, and if you don't unlock this door, you're going to be in a great deal of trouble!" He lets her in.  Why was it locked? demands Carolyn. It wasn't, says David.  I heard you unlocking it, insists Carolyn. No, he says, I was just jiggling it, sometimes it gets stuck and seems like it's locked. I have some questions for you, says his cousin--this afternoon, when you and Amy were in the antique shop, did you take anything? Acting wounded, David asks, do you think I'd steal?  Forget "steal," says Carolyn, but a very valuable book is missing.
Why do you think I took it, he asks--there were lots of other people in the store! I didn't say you took it, says Carolyn, I'm just asking--there's something about your behavior I doesn't like; you're hiding something. David denies it. Barnabas enters the room--what's wrong? he asks.  David's lying to me, claims Carolyn. David denies it again. Carolyn stands by the fireplace and turns around to catch David looking guilty, as if he's hiding something behind the drape. She pushes him aside and finds the box.  That's Amy's picture puzzle, he claims.  Amy's been looking for it since this morning, says Carolyn. I snitched it, admits David, because Amy is a pest. (nice!)  Carolyn takes the box and sets it on the table.  I'll never understand boys that age, sighs Carolyn. Barnabas lifts off the cover and remarks, it's going to be a difficult puzzle to put together. (There are puzzle pieces inside.)  I don't know why Amy wants it, says David, considering hardly any pieces are left. I see that, says Barnabas.  Carolyn asks David, is this why you were so evasive when I was asking you questions? Barnabas listens carefully as he pours a drink. David admits--I was afraid you'd be angry with him. Do you know anything about the book? she asks.  I didn't, says David who petulantly adds--some old book, not even in English, is missing from some dumb antique store, that doesn't mean I took it--why should I, it wasn't even in English! This catches Barnabas' attention. He has just taken a sip of his drink and tunes his ear to the conversation, concerned.  I know you're lying, accuses Carolyn sternly.  Barnabas swivels around to look at David, too.

I never said that book wasn't in English, says Carolyn.  And I never said I didn't look at it in the shop, retorts David--I didn't take it, honest!  I suppose maybe you didn't, says Carolyn--Megan was so upset when she found it gone, she says it's very valuable, and I promised to get it back for  her. David looked very pleased to have gotten away with his lie.  Barnabas asks, who else was in the shop this afternoon? Carolyn thinks--four or five people who bought things--Amy, Julia, Barbara Pope, and Fred Dawson, and people who looked at lamps, but none who would have reason to take the book. "What about Mr. Prescott?" demands David.  Who's he? asks Barn. Forget him, says Carolyn, because he didn't take the book. "You're just saying that because you think he's so wonderful!" accuses David. "David!" cries Carolyn. "Now I am curious, says Barnabas, turning to her, who is Mr. Prescott? Her new boyfriend, that's who, tattles David, getting right in his cousin's face. It's very dangerous to talk of things you don't understand, warns Carolyn--you can get into trouble that way, and you're in trouble enough. Just because I took Amy's puzzle? asks David--she takes things from me all the time!  I hope that's all the trouble you're in, says Carolyn.  Barnabas, says David plaintively--tell Carolyn to stop picking on me--just because her friends lose a silly old book, they act like it's the end of the world!

Megan arranges a blanket on the baby. Barnabas enters the shop--I happened to be passing by, he says. This is Joseph, says Megan, my sister's baby, we were supposed to look after him a while, but we haven't been doing too well--he started running a fever a while ago, feels like he's on fire (perhaps he has some Phoenix in him?). That's not unusual, says Barnabas, children often get high, sudden fevers. I don't know, frets Megan--ask me about antiques, not babies. You need to find someone to help you look after a child properly, wouldn't you say? says Barnabas.  Philip comes downstairs with a cold cloth--perhaps this will help to bring his fever down, he says. He's a beautiful baby, Barnabas tells Philip. And a very sick one, I'm afraid, says Philip--if we could only find a way to help him. Find out why he's sick, advises Barnabas--perhaps you must find out what is happening. Philip and Megan exchange glances. Barnabas tells Philip, I have decided to sell you the Hitchcock chair--you can come with me RIGHT NOW to pick it up. If it were any other time, I'd be at your door before you could change your mind, says Philip, but I can't go tonight. Yes you can go, insists Barn, and you will. Puzzled, Megan says, you can't expect Philip to leave on a night like this. I expect you to do what must be done, exactly as it must be done, says Barnabas firmly--you speak of time, my children, there is only one time for us--the time of the Leviathan people.
Megan and Philip listen raptly.  The latter repeats the last words Barnabas said. "And that time is now," says Barnabas.  I'll be back as soon as I can, Philip tells his wife, Hitchcock chair in hand. Seeming more like herself, Megan says, "One more dream come true." Shall we go? Philip asks Barnabas. Megan tends to the baby as the door bell chimes behind the departing Barnabas and Philip.

Once again, David closes the drawing room doors. He's about to open a cabinet in the desk when Liz enters and asks, what are you doing?  Looking for paper, he says, I want to draw something. Carolyn told me something about you, reports Liz. I know, says David angrily, she says I stole that book. No, only that you didn't tell everything you knew, corrects Liz, and if you think very hard, you might remember something else. David says, I DO remember something now--last night, I was in the foyer and saw Carolyn outside kissing a man. That has nothing to do with what they are discussing, says Liz. Yes, it does, insists David, because that man came into the store, and she acted like she hardly knew him. Perhaps you only thought it was the same man, says Liz.
No, says David, because the man was tall, and had all-gray hair, much older than Carolyn's other boyfriends--and she seemed to like him very much. (tattletale!)  Carolyn enters at this moment--Maggie's re-doing the cottage, she says, and we seem to have a whole boxful of curtains in the attic. Tell her to take whatever she wants, instructs Liz,--wait, Carolyn...David, it's time for you to go to bed.  David smirks at Carolyn, pleased with himself for having switched his aunt's gears, as he exits the drawing room. Carolyn knows something is up--did you learn anything from David? she asks. Yes, I did, says Liz--who's the man? What man? asks Carolyn.  The one who brought you home, came to see you in the antique shop, says Liz. No, one, says Carolyn--I'd like to go tell Maggie she can have the curtains. I very seldom interfere in your life, says Liz but is this man right for you?--from David's description, it doesn't sound like you two have much in common. You're wrong, answers Carolyn, smiling, we have a great deal in common.  (just a few genes)

Philip carries the Hitchcock chair (not terribly impressive, IMHO) downstairs at the Old House.  It's a very beautiful chair, he tells Barnabas, something I've always wanted. Now you have it--but for how long? asks Barnabas. Philip doesn't understand. Sometimes, says Barnabas, we have things we don't take very good care of, and we lose them...much to our everlasting regret--has that ever happened to you? Yes, of course, replies Philip. I'm sure you're anxious to get back to Megan and the baby, says Barnabas, but you oughtn't to go until you take something more to them than you are taking now--before you go back, there's something else I want you to see. Philip doesn't look terribly comfortable to hear this.

Leviathan altar in the woods - Barnabas and Philip stand there. I wonder why I've never seen it before? Wonders Philip.  No one can who isn't one of us, explains Barn (how did Carolyn see it?) It exists only for us and our people--it's our sacred altar, and where we will perform the ceremonies and make the sacrifices. Barnabas walks to one of the burning torches. He places two black candles into it, lights them, and sets them down on top of the altar. Come here, orders Barnabas. Philip steps to the altar. "You know why you are here," says Barnabas. Yes, Master, says Philip, because I failed at what I was to do. "Do you know what must happen now?" asks Barnabas. "I must be punished," answers Philip--"but how, Master?" In time, says Barnabas, you will find that out. (This creeps me out so intensely--I'd rather know NOW!)

Megan is falling asleep in her chair at the shop. She rouses herself and checks the baby. Carolyn enters and inquires into Joseph's health.  No better, answers Megan worriedly.  Did you call the doctor? Asks Carolyn.  No, says Megan, I haven't called him. Ridiculous, says Carolyn, did you stay up all night with the baby?--no wonder you're in the shape you're in!  There's something you've got to do, insists Megan--stay with the baby. Of course, says Carolyn, reaching in to lift the baby from the cradle. Where are you taking him, demands Megan, upset. It's drafty down here, Carolyn points out, and he's so hot, I'll take him to his room. NO! shrieks Megan, forward, you mustn't take him up there--promise me you won't take him to his room while I'm gone. Carolyn promises. Megan leaves. Carolyn sits with the baby.

Barnabas gazes through the Old House window and spots Megan hurrying up the walk. He meets her outside and asks how the baby is. No better, she says--what happened to Philip, after he left with you last night, he hasn't been home since?  Strange, says Barn, he stayed with me only 15 minutes.
It is strange, agrees Megan--I'm beginning to feel very frightened. You mustn't be, says Barnabas--perhaps he's only gone for some other merchandise--he will be back when it's time for him to get back. Megan's forehead wrinkles, and she walks away. Barnabas enters his house, an icy smile on his face, and closes the door. Philip sits in the drawing room.  , Are you beginning to understand what must happen now? asks Barnabas. Philip's eyes grow wide; he doesn't respond.

Carolyn is sitting by the baby when Megan returns. Where were you? asks Carolyn--did you find anything out?  Looking almost as crazed as Jenny, Megan says yes, someone's coming to kill me! She runs past Carolyn, adding, I've got to hide!  Carolyn grabs her--no one is going to kill you, she says reassuringly.  I don't know who, says Megan wild-eyed, but someone is!  You must listen, insists Carolyn--you've got a very sick baby here!  Let me go! Megan screams--"My killer's on his way!!!" She runs upstairs, hysterical, even as Carolyn protests--no one is coming to hurt you, or anyone. The front door opens and Carolyn stares, horrified, at who appears.

NOTES: I always wondered what happened to Philip at the altar, and if Barnabas did anything to "discipline" him. It was such a cold, awful scene, and Megan's paranoia is so different from the happy woman she started out in this storyline.

Who has entered the shop? Is it an intended murderer or has Megan just gone a little crazy?

Loved David here, he was so crafty about turning his aunt's attention from himself to his cousin. This reminds me of the David who played around with Roger's car and nearly killed his father by tampering with his brakes. That wicked smile he displayed when he left the room--priceless!

Barnabas continues to enthrall and repulse with his soulless demeanor.  The actor is a master in these episodes, and I love it.

896 - The antique shop door opens, and Carolyn, wondering if Megan's hysteria is legitimate, turns in horror to see who it is. She heaves a sigh of relief when she sees it's only Julia, who is puzzled by the intensity of Carolyn's relief. Carolyn explains that Philip's been gone all night and Megan returned in a terrible state, convinced someone is trying to kill her. It isn't true, says Carolyn, but for one moment, when the bell tinkled...Julia wants to speak to Megan, but, spotting the Naga box, she asks, where did it come from?  I neither know nor care, answers Carolyn, but that isn't the worst of what's been happening here--the baby is sick and Megan hasn't gotten medical attention for him. Julia offers to examine the baby, and comments on his peculiar birthmark. Megan races downstairs, screaming "No, don't touch him!" He's running a very high temperature, objects Julia, let me examine him.  Megan grabs Blanket Baby from the cradle and holds him protectively in her arms. No need to, she says--babies often run suddenly high temps. Julia agrees--but the cause can sometimes be serious, she adds. Crazed, Megan says, I have to take my chances with that, and begins to head upstairs--I'm going to dress the baby because we're going away--we have to!  No one is after you, Carolyn insists--you can't go until Philip comes home--can you? No, agrees Megan, suddenly calm. Where is Philip? asks Julia--that's what you're worried about, right? Megan smiles--there's no reason to worry about Philip, she says, he's out picking up merchandise and will come back when he's ready.
Julia is confused by this abrupt change in Megan.  Carolyn asks, why didn't you tell me that before?  I'm taking the baby upstairs, says Mega--saying there's no need for you to look the baby, Dr. Hoffman.  Give him aspirin, please, says Julia (No Tylenol then.)  What's the matter with her? asks Carolyn. Her--or the baby? asks Julia. Both, says Carolyn. I don't know about the baby, says Julia, but Megan is terrified of something--I don't know why, but perhaps she and Philip have been working too hard in the shop; the strain of caring for the baby, triggering some hidden fear, who knows? I think it's criminal the way her sister left the baby and just waltzed off on vacation, opines Carolyn. Julia has taken the Naga box into her hands and is trying to open it. I have a good mind to find out where the sister is and call her, says Carolyn.  She notices Julia isn't paying much attention and asks, what fascinates you about this box? I saw it at Barnabas' house, replies Julia.  He sold it to the Todds, says Carolyn (gave it to them, but I guess Carolyn just assumes that). I didn't think it was something he'd sell, says Julia. Perhaps he changed his mind, says Carolyn--you don't think there's truth that someone is trying to kill Megan? No, says Julia, I don't believe it, nor do I buy Megan's claim that she isn't afraid for Philip.  I wish he'd come home, says Carolyn--Megan needs him.

David enters the drawing room at Collinwood and closes and locks the door. Amy's already in there, playing with her doll.  How did you come in here? he asks.  I came in when you went to the study, answers Amy--why did you lie to Carolyn about that book? I had to, says David--I was going to give it back, but then my cousin said how valuable it was, and now I can't return it. You can't keep it, either, says Amy, no matter where you hide it, someone will find it. I plan to burn the dumb old thing, scoffs David. Amy's eyes widen--you can't do that!  Yes, I can, he insists, and when it's a big pile of ashes, no one will know I ever took it. You'll only be making it worse for yourself, insists Amy, I know it. MYOB, orders David, taking the book from the desk cabinet. Amy tries to wrestle it away from him--give it to me and I'll tell Carolyn I took it! she cries.  (Pretty self-sacrificing of her.) No, says David, yanking back the book. It falls open on the desk.  David opens the book to a page of the coiled snakes--the Naga.

David stares down at the page, riveted. Amy speaks to him--give me the book, she pleads--I'll tell! You'll tell nothing, he says curtly, not sounding like a little boy anymore.
I'm not going to burn it, he assures Amy, not now... What ARE you going to do? she asks. What I must, says--stand outside the door and make sure no one comes in while I'm reading the book. This startles her--you don't know how. Yes I do, he says. Read some of it for me, she demands. You're forbidden to hear it, he says. "I don't believe a word you're saying, David Collins!" she retorts. It doesn't matter whether you believe me or not, he says--stand guard!  I don't like this game, she complains, voice shaking, let's play another. This isn't a game, says David--now do as I told you. Without another word, she turns to do as ordered.  Don't say anything about this--to anyone, warns David. But you'll be caught, she says, Carolyn and her friends will know you have the book, you'll see. Yes, they will, agrees David, but says no more. Amy unlocks the doors, then closes them behind her. David sits down to study the book, reading, "And then those who have been hidden so long shall rise and show themselves, and the others will know their time has ended, and the time of the people of the Leviathan will begin..."

Antique shop - When Megan comes down, Carolyn asks, how are you feeling?  I took a nap, says Megan. Carolyn brings her a cup of coffee and explains, Dr. Hoffman thinks you and Philip are much more tired than you realize--it's the reason for your tension. Megan, toying with her cup, asks, where's Julia?  She returned to Collinwood, answers Carolyn.  I'm probably more concerned about the baby's condition than I realized, says Megan, but I did give him some aspirin, and I believe he's better. It might not be my place to say anything, says Carolyn, but I think your sister ought to come for her baby. "No!" says Megan sharply, the baby is my responsibility.
Call her and tells her he's sick, suggests Carolyn, then she can make up her own mind what to do. No, says Megan, I can't call her. Why not? asks Carolyn.  She's...traveling, answers Megan. She must have left an address where she can be reached, insists Carolyn.  The phone interrupts them. Carolyn tells the caller, we did receive the telegram, and of course he can see the painting, but it's been purchased by Julia Hoffman--come to Collinwood at five--I'm sure she'll show you the painting--I don't know if Julia is interested in selling it. The caller does know where Collinwood is. That was Mr. Corey, Carolyn tells Megan--he's interested in seeing the Tate painting Julia bought from the shop--I apologize for taking over that way, but I feel you needs to take it easy the rest of the day. Megan looks lost. Carolyn asks, do you still think someone is after you, or considering running away?  Of course not, says Megan, smiling, but she doesn't sound convincing. I'm very grateful to you, says Megan.  I wish I could do more, says Carolyn, like find the book--it's as if someone were deliberately concealing something...

Collinwood - David comes downstairs. Julia exits the drawing room and asks, could you take a note to Barnabas for me?  He refuses--I have something.  It's important, says Julia--I have someone coming in a few minutes, and...  David reaches for his coat, explaining firmly, I have something else to do, and it can't wait until I drop off the note. David, she says, annoyed, but he leaves. Julia takes out her letter and reads, "A person who calls himself Corey will be here at 5 o'clock, that person could be Quentin Collins..." She leaves the house herself, frustrated. It's a quarter to five.

5:15 PM - Collinwood - Julia returns home and overhears Carolyn in the drawing room--I wonder why Dr. Hoffman is so late--"She was so anxious to see you!" She listens outside the drawing room door, eavesdropping on Carolyn discussing Julia's interest in Tate--and ever since she bought that painting...  Julia enters the drawing room and is stunned to see a woman who looks exactly like Amanda Harris!
The woman smiles at Julia and greets her warmly. I had no idea the visitor would turn out to be Miss Olivia Corey, says Carolyn. Olivia apologizes--I did have the hotel clerk call for me, I find that if I identify myself too early in a business transaction, the price always goes up--but in this case, I really don't mind, as long as I get what I want. Smiling, Julia asks, just what is it you want, Miss Corey? Your Tate, says Olivia.  You probably don't want it, says Julia--it's not a PORTRAIT. Olivia looks wary, then smiles again and says, you are very perceptive, Dr. Hoffman. Handing Julia a cup of something, Carolyn asks, what is this all about?  Tate did a great number of portraits of a woman who looks extraordinarily like Miss Corey, explains Julia. That's how I started collecting his paintings, says Olivia--those lovely portraits of me, vain, but we actresses ARE vain--we wouldn't be on stage if we didn't admire ourselves so much, would we? She rises and asks, may I see the painting?  It's a landscape, says Julia.  Olivia assures her, I've broadened my interests to include ALL of Tate's work. OK, says Julia, and takes the painting from its place beside the desk. She hands it to Olivia and says, it's not for sale. Everything is, says Olivia, sooner or later. Perhaps it will be later, but not now, insists Julia. Carolyn apologizes to the actress.  Olivia admits--I'm terribly disappointed--Miss Stoddard, can you call a cab for me?  Carolyn leaves the room to do so. It's curious, remarks Julia--I've seen you onstage, and seen photographs of you in newspapers and magazines, but never noticed your extraordinary resemblance to Amanda Harris--quite unique. Olivia looks at her and says--not really--Amanda Harris was my grandmother. Who was your grandfather? queries Julia. Olivia laughs and asks, are you interested in genealogy as well?  I really want to know, says Julia. His name was Langley, reveals Olivia (shades of Edmonds' role on AMC?) Oh, says Julia. Olivia notes, you seem almost disappointed. No, responds Julia, of course not. I find it strange that you knew my name was Amanda Harris, says Olivia, it was never mentioned in conjunction with any of Tate's works, I knew her name, of course, but how did you? You must be mistaken, says Julia, I must have read it somewhere, I'm sure. I suppose so, says Olivia, who turns to admire the paintings above the mantle, commenting on how interesting they are. Are you interested in those, too? asks Julia. Mostly turn of the century portraits, says Olivia, I'd love to see any family portraits done at that time. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed, says Julia, there are no portraits of Quentin Collins. (ZING!) Am I supposed to know who that is? asks Olivia--sorry, I've never heard of him. Carolyn returns--Olivia, your cab is here.  I think we could learn a great deal about art from each other, Olivia says significantly to Julia. She leaves, Julia looking after her speculatively.

Leviathan altar - David approaches it, staring at it in wonder. "I am one of you now," he says. Thunder and lightning fill the sky. The altar parts, revealing a hole at the base. David kneels and crawls inside it. The two halves of the altar rejoin, seeming to swallow the boy...

NOTES:  Where has David gone?  What will befall him there?  How did he become "one of them" so easily?

Who is Olivia?  Is she Quentin's offspring?  Amanda Harris herself, posing as her own granddaughter?  Why is she so interested in Tate's paintings?  Is it Amanda's--or Quentin's--that truly interest her?

Megan is behaving weirder and weirder.  What is this responsibility doing to her?  And why was only Philip made to pay for whatever happened to the book and not Megan?

Love, Robin