Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0949  (Read 1146 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0949
« on: July 19, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »
Robservations #949

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0949

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
Laurence Guthrie, state investigator.   Gee, I hope he comes back as a zombie too.  Jeb could eventually make a middle aged zombie boy band.   Alright, now I'm sure that DS keeps bringing back surnames for different characters on purpose, even though this Guthrie works in Augusta, and .... I don't know where proto-Stokes Guthrie in 1967 was from.  A university.

Is that really Amy?  She still exists.  She must be bigger now.  Quentin walks in!  Amy goes to Jeb about Quentin... is she a Leviathan and/or a friend of Jeb's?  She tells Jeb a bizarre moment with ghost Quentin months before Jeb arrived, and in a sequence of events which has now unhappened.  Ghost Quentin was in a timeline that probably did not include the Leviathans, because they needed a time-travelling Barnabas from 1897 to get to 1969.  Anyway, don't tell Jeb I exist?  You don't anymore!  WEIRD. 

Poor Phillip, just there to be used by both sides to do the dirty work and take the risks.  First Barnabas gets him to steal the Box, then Jeb gets him to trap the state investigator and go to jail for it after.  Quentin tries to finger Jeb to Carolyn for her father's murder, and she's having none of it, but then Jeb bursts in with his story about Phillip having committed all the murders including a fresh one.  I forget if Carolyn starts suspecting Jeb, but this really ought to be too much improbability to accept, even for a Collins...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »
Poor Carolyn is still in her bad-boy-lust mode, so I don't think she ever, even for a moment, suspects that Jeb murdered her father and three other people.

And once more, the writers play fast and loose, re-happening all of the un-happened events that didn't happen because Barnabas went back to 1897 and kept Quentin alive, althought not well.

Jeb is about to kill Philip in a very prosaic, non-Leviathan manner--with a candlestick--when Inspector Lawrence Guthrie arrives. Is Lawrence Guthrie related to the late Dr. Peter Guthrie (of Dartmouth College, MT)? Jeb grins smugly as Philip is forced to lie to the Iinspector, then warns Philip that Megan will regret it if Philip betrays him.

At Collinwood, Amy is busy drawing (in the drawing room) while Carolyn watches. Carolyn asks what, and we can see that it’s the Naga symbol. That’s a strange subject for a drawing, Carolyn observes. Megan and Philip have jewelry with that symbol, Amy remarks airily. It makes me feel uncomfortable, Carolyn observes. Quentin walks in (wearing a fab dark blue coat). Amy takes one look at the man who is the image of her tormentor, rushes over to Carolyn and clings to her in terror. Carolyn tries to reassure Amy, but she is terrified. What are you frightened of? Quentin asks gently. You look like Quentin’s ghost, Amy replies tremulously. This Quentin isn’t a ghost, Carolyn insists. Quentin asks to see Amy alone. Carolyn hesitates, so he says, I know it will be painful for her, but less painful than if she keeps believing I’m a ghost. Carolyn leaves. Gently Quentin touches Amy’s face. He tells his great-granddaughter, I know that once upon a time you were afraid of someone named Quentin Collins, but Amy, I am not that Quentin Collins--I swear it!

Jeb knows that Guthrie doesn't trust him, and he's right. From an unspecified phone booth in an unknown location, Inspector Guthrie calls his office and instructs them to check up on a young man named Jeb Hawkes.

Amy comes to the shop to see Jeb. She tells him that she’s afraid of Quentin and describes a dream she’s had. We watch it unfold: David is missing. Amy hears Quentin’s music coming from a strange room, which turns out to be Quentin’s room, once more festooned with cobwebs. She calls to David, but the door slams shut. As she stares into the full-length mirror, Quentin appears behind her, in full 1897 regalia. She tells him, Maggie and Barnabas are after you, looking for David. She looks up into his hostile glare and begs him, Please don’t punish me! Maggie saw the room in a dream--I didn’t tell her. Unlike the real Quentin’s ghost, the dream ghost actually speaks to Amy. You will not tell Maggie, he tells her stonily. You will not tell Julia. You will not tell anyone--especially Jeb. As Amy comes back to the present, she tells Jeb, Quentin’s ghost scared me. He knew about you before you were here. Quentin Collins is the same ghost that scared me before, and I’m still afraid of him. Jeb promises, I’ll take care of Quentin--as I take care of anyone in my way. He decides to take Amy back to Collinwood so he can see Carolyn. Amy says Carolyn is talking to Inspector Guthrie. This gives Jeb a moment’s pause, but he decides to go anyway.

Carolyn tells the inspector what she knows about her father’s death: How Julia found him outside the antique shop and took him to Professor Stokes’s house, where he was killed. She says, Jeb had nothing to do with my father’s death. He arrived after it happened. I can tell you don’t like Jeb. With a smile, he replies, I can tell that you do. The phone rings. Philip is in the shop and is holding a cloth over the receiver to disguise his voice from Carolyn as he asks for the inspector. I must talk to you, Philip (now sans cloth) tells Guthrie. Please come to the antique shop tonight at nine o’clock. And please don’t tell anyone that I called.

Guthrie arrives at the shop punctually at nine. Philip says, I want to tell you how Paul Stoddard was killed and who killed him. I want to show you the room upstairs and tell you the incredible, horrible story of what happened at the police station. They go upstairs, and Philip unlocks the door. Walk right on in, he tells Guthrie as he stays out in the hallway. Guthrie enters, finds the lamp, and turns it on. Suddenly he hears the sound of heavy breathing and turns to see the Leviathan. Open the door! he screams to Philip. With trembling hands, Philip slides the bolt home and turns the key. He listens in pain and horror as the breathing turns to snarls. The screaming continues a moment longer, then dies away. The heavy breathing sounds more like panting now, as of a great beast recovering from some exertion. After a moment, Philip hears utter silence, then slow human footsteps. He opens the door, and Jeb emerges. Don’t be so upset, he tells Philip, who is completely traumatized. You did your job well. Megan would be proud of you. Philip is almost in tears, but Jeb repeats, You did your job very well. Now let’s see if you can do the rest of it.

At 10:00 p.m., Carolyn is in the foyer, waiting for Jeb and thinking he has arrived when someone knocks at the door. She rushes to open it eagerly, but the visitor is Quentin. I’m looking for Barnabas, he says urgently. We both want to talk to you. I’m going out with Jeb, she protests. You can’t, Quentin replies, and you’ll find out why as soon as Barnabas arrives. Annoyed at all this fuss about her personal life, Carolyn warns Quentin, If you don’t tell me what’s going on, I’ll leave now and meet Jeb in town. Quentin decides he must proceed on his own and after a few deep breaths announces, I want to tell you about your father’s murderer. Who was it? Carolyn asks, consumed with anxiety and fear. Quentin hesitates to tell her, but she insists. He tells her it was Jeb. First surprised and then disgusted, she says Jeb wasn’t even in Collinsport when her father died. Then she loses her temper altogether and accuses Quentin and Barnabas of trying to keep her from Jeb. Quentin reluctantly says, I will tell you everything. At that moment Jeb rushes into the house, seemingly in great distress. Breathlessly he announces that Inspector Guthrie has been murdered. Philip is the murderer--and he has confessed to the other killings besides. Above Carolyn’s head, Quentin smiles in bitter disbelief......

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »
That business with Amy revealing a possible earlier connection between 1897 Quentin came out of nowhere and pretty much stays there. It's dropped pretty quickly. The only thing I can come up is that Angelique was not the only creature that Quentin and Evan Hanley may have conjured up.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 08:06:51 PM »
Yikes, Uncle Roger! Who or what else do you mean?  [ghost_shocked]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 11:13:19 PM »
Just that one of their rituals might have conjured up an earlier incarnation of Jeb.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:45:46 AM »
I'm beginning to think the Leviathan's arriving via Barnabas from 1796 halted the history change that should be prominent in 1970 as Ghost Quentin now never existed.  They are from another dimension and now two timelines are interfering with another.

[spoiler]By the time we get to Summer 1970, it's apparent that Ghost Quentin is no longer remembered as it isn't referenced when Gerard and Daphne appear.  It's treated like David is possessed for the first time.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 03:36:36 PM »
Just that one of their rituals might have conjured up an earlier incarnation of Jeb.

What an awful, awful thought!  [ghost_shocked]

Only on DS would we have dueling timelines. But I think you're right about your spoiler, Joey.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
Because I haven't rewatched this ep yet, I have absolutely no idea what's actually going on in this capture:

But out of context, Philip is striking a really funny pose.  [lghy]

Though why do I suspect that after I do watch the ep again, it won't be nearly as funny as it strikes me now...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 08:04:29 PM »
If you haven't rewatched yet, MB, I won't spoil it for you. But Philip is actually doing something horrible against his will.