Author Topic: #0190/0191: Robservations 10/03/01: Into the Fire  (Read 1367 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0190/0191: Robservations 10/03/01: Into the Fire
« on: October 02, 2001, 07:02:14 PM »
Episode #190 - Fear is no stranger to the residents of Collinwood--fear of the unknown, the unseen--but tonight, fear has turned to panic, for tonight, before midnight, a terrifying prophecy may come true--and a small boy may die.

Mrs. Johnson frantically searches for David, looking out the drawing room window and calling to him. The phone on the foyer table is still off the hook as an anxious Vicki waits at the Blue Whale. Burke asks her what happened, and Vicki, contemplating the possibilities, is terrified. Burke comments, and Joe agrees, that David must be in the house; Mrs. Johnson only left him for a minute. Vicki says she shouldn't have left him, she thinks something terrible has happened to David. Mrs. Johnson calls outside the front door, but hears no reply. She picks up the phone and tells Vicki he's gone, get right back here. She receives no answer, however, because the Blue Whale pay phone is simply hanging, and Vicki, Burke and Joe have already gone.

11 PM - The clock strikes the hour. Mrs. Johnson paces, taking small steps, in the drawing room. Vicki returns, along with the men, and Mrs. J tells her David has disappeared. Burke asks her if she searched the whole house, and the housekeeper says she thinks he ran away out of sheer devilment. Vicki quietly frets. Burke figures David didn't come into Collinsport; they'd have passed him along the way. Mrs. Johnson apologizes to Vicki for leaving him alone, but explains that she did have to answer the phone--no one else was home. Vicki assures her it's her own fault, she shouldn't have phoned, she thought someone else would answer. Rightfully annoyed at their blame game, Burke says they should concentrate on finding the boy. Mrs. J suggests perhaps he's in the house, just hiding from her, playing tricks on her the way he likes to do. Burke doesn't think he's in the house at all, and neither does Vicki. Mrs. J asks Burke if he thinks Laura came and took David away. Burke admits he thinks it's possible. Then you think he's in some kind of danger, she continues. They think that's possible, too, says Burke. Mrs. Johnson tells Vicki that once morning came on this day, she thought the dangerous time had passed. They made a mistake with the time, says Vicki. Mrs. Johnson doesn't see how Laura could have gotten in here, all doors and windows were locked. Perhaps Laura told him she'd come back for him, suggests Joe, told him to meet her somewhere? He WAS on edge, says Mrs. J, kept looking at the clock as if anxious to go someplace. Where would they meet? wonders Burke. Her cottage, says Joe. Burke agrees, and Vicki says he did, during the seance, speak of going into the fire, in a little house by the sea, that could be her cottage.
The men head out there, leaving Vicki and Mrs. Johnson to worry.

In a small shack by the sea, David enters, shining a flashlight and calling his mother. "I'm here, where are you?" he asks, looking scared. He sits down to wait.

Burke and Joe enter Laura's cottage, both bearing flashlights, calling to Laura. Joe searches in back while Burke looks around the living room. Joe tells him the back room is empty and there's no suitcase, but Burke points out that the fire is still burning, and if Laura left early this morning, who was keeping it going?--It's got to be her, Laura must have been here. Not now, and neither is David, says Joe. Burke decides to check the Old House, and Joe offers to go along. No, I think we'd better stick together--no, we can't stick together (a famous blooper)--you go down to the greenhouse and search the woods, I'll go to the Old House. The two leave the cottage. The fire burns in the fireplace...

At Collinwood, Mrs. Johnson frets to Vicki--why haven't they found him? They must be patient, says Vicki, they only left a few minutes ago. Mrs. Johnson is sure if David went with his mother, harm will befall him; she's afraid of Laura. Vicki says she is, too, but Mr. Collins put her on the Heartland bus early this morning, and therefore she must be there, waiting for her train. Mrs. Johnson bets she got off the bus before it left Collinsport. Vicki says they can find out--she'll phone the bus station, and the driver will tell her what happened. Mrs. J says she thinks Laura is somewhere nearby--with David. Vicki picks up the phone and Mrs. J checks the clock--11:10.

In the woods, Joe calls to David, over and over. Burke joins him and says he had no luck at the Old House, not a sign of David. It's getting late, time is running out, says Burke, and Joe suggests they search the beach. Wait, says Burke, at the seance, David described how he was going to die--in a little house by the sea. Burke remembers--the old fishing shack, David likes to go there a lot, it fits the description. Joe tells him to lead the way, he doesn't know where it is, and they hurry off.

We hear the sounds of a foghorn and a boat mournfully blowing its horn as David walks out of the shack, muttering, "Oh, mother!" He hears Burke's voice calling him and immediately retreats back into the shack, looking wildly around for a hiding place. Burke and Joe enter the shack, searching for him with their flashlights. David has wedged himself into a crate, praying they don't find him.

The men continue to search the shack, and David hides in his little box, which they ignore. He isn't here, says Burke, and they're about to leave when Joe spots something, asking if Burke heard anything--he thought he did. Where do they go from here? asks Joe. Burke can't think of more places to search--they could go down by the beach.
David huddles in his hiding place, the men very close; Joe even has his fingertips on top of the box. It's a few minutes before 11:30, says Burke, and Joe says that means they only have half an hour left to find him. They leave, and David waits before standing up from his hiding place. He looks out the window at the departing Joe and Burke.

Vicki and Mrs. Johnson are still waiting in the drawing room, and Vicki sits with her hand pressed to her forehead. The phone rings, making both women jump, and Vicki realizes it's the man from the bus company. She asks if he's sure, and says she doesn't understand...yes, I see, she says, thank you. She hangs up and tells Mrs. Johnson that Mrs. Collins did get on the bus, but simply disappeared after having a brief conversation with an old lady. Her seat was empty, yet the bus hadn't stopped--she just disappeared. Both women are horror-stricken.

In the shack, David begs his mother to come--it's so cold!
Suddenly, his mother appears in a corner of the shack, holding a candle protected by a lantern. He didn't hear her come in, he says, and she asks if he's been waiting long. Yes, he tells her, he didn't think she was coming. I wouldn't leave without you, she assures him, but he says he wasn't sure--he's glad to see her, he adds uncertainly. She says he looks frightened, and there's nothing to be afraid of. They came looking for him, says David, and almost found him, and they might come again, so they had better leave. He starts to exit the shack, but she tells him to wait--they can't go right now, they might be out there, they can't take that chance. They will wait a few more minutes, then go, she says, they will have a wonderful adventure together. They will? He asks. Yes, she promises--look at her. He does want to go away with her, right? Sure that's why he's here, he says. Promise me you'll never be afraid of anything, she says. Never, he swears. No one will ever be able to take him away from her, she says, they'll be together always. Always? he repeats. Yes, she says, looking with intensity at his little face.

David tells Laura no one is outside, they can go. Not quite yet, she says. Please, he begs, he's tired and cold. She offers him her lantern to hold, and he wonders why. The heat will warm you, she says, and he puts down the flashlight and takes it in both hands. There's not much heat, he says. Look into the flame, she says, it will warm you. No, he doesn't want to look into it, he doesn't know why, he just doesn't. She reminds him that he isn't going to be afraid of anything. He's not! insists David. Show me what a big boy you are, she says, stare into the flame. Stare into the flame, look deep into the heart of it. He does, and says he sees all sorts of colors. They're beautiful, aren't they? she asks, the most beautiful colors in the world. Mesmerized, he agrees with her. Do you feel warmer now? she asks. Yes, he says. Keep staring, darling, she tells him, that's right, don't look away, stare deep into the heart of the flame.

We pan onto the fireplace at Collinwood. Vicki sits next to it, then stands and paces. Mrs. J sits on the sofa, complaining she can't just sit there doing nothing--she's going to make coffee! All right, says Vicki and stares into the fire. Our view suddenly becomes very fuzzy, as if a filter has been put on the camera. Vicki suddenly smells Jasmine, and knows Josette is nearby, that's her scent. What do you want me to see, she asks, you want me to remember something? About the seance, something David said? He spoke of flames, fire, smoke, and a little house by the sea...a little house by the sea, is that what you want me to remember? Vicki ponders this. (I can never get the image of Timmy falling in the well on LASSIE during this scene. I keep thinking of Vicki saying, "What's that, Josette, David has fallen in a well?" You get the idea.)

David is becoming one with the flame, the lantern wobbling in his hands. His mother tells him she's taking him to a place he'll never be cold again, he'll always be warm and happy, because they will be together. David says he's so sleepy, and she tells him to sleep, sometimes you can sleep with your eyes wide open. He tells her to take the lantern from him, but she orders him to hold it. His fingers are numb, he says, take it! Take it, Mother! He drops it to the floor, starting a fire, and tells his mother he couldn't hold it.
Her eyes are bright, reflecting flames both from the fire and her own inner Phoenix blaze. She smiles. It's all right, she says, it was an accident. Fire! cries David. Look at the flames, see how beautiful they are! she says exultantly. David is afraid of he growing blaze. Fire! he cries. Yes, she says. They should leave, run, he says, but she says they can't--THEY might be right outside, they don't want to be found here! He's safe with her. Fire! says David, and the flames are now licking greedily at the wooden cabin.

Fire, says Vicki, still channeling messages from Josette, in a little house by the sea, but what house, where?
Not Laura's house...Vicki smells salt air coming from the sea--David is in a house by the sea--the fishing shack, that's where he is, isn't that right, Josette? She senses that the ghost is leaving. Don't go, Josette, don't go. But Josette has imparted her message and has gone.

Laura asks David if he's afraid, and he clearly is, but she tells him to look at her, stare into her eyes, he'll never be afraid again, that's right, darling, stare deep into my eyes, you aren't afraid anymore, are you? As if hypnotized, David says no, looking at his mother. "Come to me, she says, let me hold you and protect you, and we'll be together--forever." David looks down, realizing he would have to cross through flames to get to her
--and she holds out her arms, beckoning him to her.

NOTES: I always found the concept of a mother wanting to burn her child along with her very upsetting. I remember being afraid for David when I was 13. Diana Millay's Laura had this whispery, silky voice that always scared me. She was a very interesting villain.

Too much Vicki and Mrs. Johnson fretting; these are the repetitive scenes that made watchers impatient, IMHO. The scene in which Vicki learns that Laura mysteriously left the bus was important, but all those other ones just stretched into eternity for me. The scenes with Joe and Burke searching for David also got on my nerves after a while.

The best scenes were the last ones between David and his mother, much more suspenseful, and when Joe and Burke searched the cabin for David, who managed to hide his entire body in that little crate.

Episode #191 - These are desperate moments at Collinwood, moments when a boy stands in the perilous middle ground between life and death--and death reaches out to him, and his only hope for safety lies in the meaning of words that have come from beyond.

Laura assures her trembling, frightened son that there's nothing to be afraid of, begging him to trust her and come to her--after he comes into her arms, everything will be complete, she promises --and she watches, ecstatically, as he walks toward her.

The flames are filling the little shack as David warns his mother the fire is spreading. Nothing matters except their being together, she tells him, but he is afraid, reminding her that the flames are getting higher. No, she says, it's all right, look at the flames, stare into them darling, deeply. It's so bright, says David. But it's his friend, she says, it's calling him, reaching out to him, wanting him, wanting to embrace him, give him strength. The colors--orange, blue, red, chants David. The sun gives life to the earth, she says exultantly, think of it, without the sun, the earth couldn't exist--fire gives life! I can see the sun, says David. Think of eternal life, urges Laura, just as the sun gives life to the earth, so will the fire give eternal life to you, and they will be together, just as she promised him. I think I understand, says David. Of course you, do, darling, says Laura, look at the flames, loon into them, stare at them, listen, they're calling your name, they want you--they want you, David, soon it will be time for them to take you away, very, very soon.

Vicki asks Josette, "What about the fire--something David said in the seance?" He spoke of flames, smoke, and a little house by the sea--is that what it is? But what house, where? begs Vicki. Fire in a little house? But David's in there, a little house that's burning? Where is the little house? What little house, Josette? Vicki tries to think, then finally gets it
--the fishing shack, David's in the fishing shack, right, Josette? But Josette, her message imparted, has gone.

Liz lies in a hospital bed, Carolyn watching over her anxiously. The doctor enters and says he thought he'd convinced her to return to the hotel. She'd rather be here, Carolyn says. But you've been sitting here all day, he reminds her--it's almost midnight. She feels so helpless, she tells him. As does he, says the doctor, the whole staff feels the same kind of frustration--they can't help her mother. Carolyn says she appreciates his efforts, she knows they've tried everything. They're helpless, but not without hope, he assures her; her mother's condition hasn't gotten worse, and their tests confirm there is no brain damage, so they simply must watch and wait. He examines Liz briefly, then tells Carolyn she's done enough watching and waiting--go back to her hotel and get some rest. In a few minutes, she says. Perhaps there will be a change tomorrow, he says. Perhaps, agrees Carolyn, without conviction. The doctor leaves the room. After Carolyn walks away from the bed, Liz opens her eyes and stares around her...
Thrilled, Carolyn realizes her mother is awake. Speak to me, she begs her mother. Carolyn rushes to get the doctor, who observes that he thinks she's coming out of it. He shines the light into Liz' eyes and says yes, she's responding to light, and he thinks she can see images. Why is she coming out of it? asks Carolyn, but the doctor hasn't the slightest notion yet. Liz raises her arm, and the doc remarks that's good, a sign motor response is coming back. Her pulse is picking up, too. He listens to her heart and says it's increasing, but heart and pulse are too critical to judge yet. (I always felt medical matters on DS were handled oddly; how medically accurate is this, anyway, to those who know such things?) Dr. Franklin asks Liz if she can understand him. Carolyn thinks she can. The doctor assures Liz's she's all right. Liz begins to writhe in the bed, and Carolyn notes how frightened she looks.

David stands with his mother in the blazing shack. She tells him it's almost time, and he agrees. Time for the flames to surround them, for him to come to her. Yes, mother, he says. He does want to come with her, be with her forever, doesn't he? she asks. She asks if he's afraid of death. He doesn't know, he says, entranced. Once I put my arms around you, there's nothing to fear, no one and nothing can hurt you, says Laura. He repeats her words. She asks if he remembers the legend of the phoenix. Yes, he says. Tell it to me, she says. The legend of the phoenix, he says, breathlessly, complaining it's hot--they will leave soon, won't they? Tell me the legend, she says, it will show you that death is not to be feared, it will give eternal life--tell me the legend, and let it give you strength. David says that the phoenix is a beautiful bird, from paradise, the most wonderful place ever, with all kinds of flowers, spices and perfumes. You do remember! she says, tells it to me, finish it, and when you do, it will be exactly the time for you to go away with me--come closer and tell me the rest of the legend. He's about to go on, but Vicki breaks the spell, pounding on the door and ordering David to open it. David and his mother stare at each other as Vicki bangs at the door.

Vicki calls to David to get out, then looks in the window, sizes up the scary situation, and orders David to get out of there. Hysterical, she asks what he's doing in there, telling him he must get out, the whole place will go up in a few minutes.
"That's right, Vicki," says Laura, "in just a few minutes." But you'll burn, too! cries Vicki. That's right, smiles Laura, I will, that's why I'm here, why David is here, the fire will consume everything and everyone. Vicki tries to open the boarded-up window, but without success. (This is where this episode annoyed me--why didn't Vicki toss something through the window? I would have, but she just keeps pounding ineffectually at the window, very wimpily, too.) Tell me the legend, Laura again bids her son. David says that the phoenix lives in paradise, and every 100 years, it decides it must go to a very special place, so the phoenix gathers up all the herbs, spices and flowers and goes to find a new place. Vicki screams, "Mrs. Collins, you can't do this!" and Laura triumphantly retorts that she isn't Mrs. Collins, she's Laura Murdoch. Vicki repeats it, and Laura says surely, she knew what to expect. But not this, protests Vicki, it's so horrible! Laura replies, nastily, it's the only way, you should know it by now, you and your doctor Guthrie (a parapsychologist Laura has killed earlier in this storyline by making his car turn over and burst into flames). David, cries Vicki! The phoenix has to fly to a place where he can build his very last nest, says David. Vicki tries to catch David's attention, but Laura assures her it's useless, he can't hear you, it will all be over in just a few minutes, and will begin somewhere else! DAVID! yells Vicki, trying to capture his attention. Vicki, I am going to give him eternal life, says Laura, he'll be reborn, as I was, century after century. Vicki begs David to hear her, and Laura orders her to go away before it's too late. David, wails Vicki. And so the phoenix searches for the tallest palm trees, where it will make it's nest, says David...

In the hospital, Liz gets a momentary vision of what's happening in the shack.

Laura urges David to finish the legend, and he continues--"and so the phoenix finds the tallest palm tree where it begins to make a beautiful next." NO, DAVID! shouts Vicki.

The doctor and Carolyn hover over the writhing Liz, who is clearly agitated. Something put her into this state, says the doc, and now something is bringing her out of it. Carolyn realizes Liz recognizes her, and says, it's Carolyn, I'm here, you'll be all right. Liz tries to speak, and Carolyn asks what she's trying to say. She's trying to form a word. Da-da-da-- Something about David? asks Carolyn. Liz sits up in bed, screaming, "DAVID!" Liz screams out her nephew's name, over and over, and the doctor tries to calm her. "DAVID, FIRE!" bellows Liz, David and fire.

David continues with the phoenix legend, Vicki at the window, pleading with him not to. Don't finish it, begs Vicki, and Laura begs him to finish it so they can go into a new life. Don't go with her, wails Vicki, reaching her arm through the broken window, trying to reach the child she's come to think of as a brother. (This was a fascinating scene; the two women are battling for this child, body and soul, one meaning him death, followed by eternal life, the other wanting him to live out the life he has now. It's really creepy in black and white, mesmerizing, and I remember my heart fluttering like crazy back in 1967 when I first saw this episode.)

The doctor and Liz listen to Liz yelling DAVID AND FIRE, and Carolyn demands to know why she's saying that. I can see it, says Liz, fire all around David! The doctor tries to convince her it's a dream, but Liz pleads with Carolyn to help David. What should I do? asks Carolyn desperately. "DAVID!" Liz shouts, seeing it all happening but unable to help. "DAVID."

Finish the legend, orders Laura, and David goes on--the phoenix starts to rise, higher and higher into the sky! Finish it and come to me, says Laura. The sun begins to send it's rays down to the nest, it's getting hotter and hotter, and a little flame begins to burn in the nest. "DAVID!" calls Vicki. "DAVID!!"
Liz calls DAVID, too.

And the phoenix fans the fire with it's wings, intones David, and the flames begin to rise, higher and higher. Now, come to me now, it's time to go, David, calls Laura. Vicki sticks her hand through the open window pane and tells him now, come to her, over here! Mother! cries David, adding, and then the beautiful phoenix begins to BURN! Come to me now, before it's too late! calls Laura. David is crying. Mother! he calls. No, David, you'll burn you'll die! yells Vicki. The cabin begins to fall apart, a flaming beam dropping to the floor. Hurry, David, before it's too late, please, calls Laura, hurry, hurry! Mother! cries David. David, don't let me go without you, begs Laura, I don't want to go without you! There are only a few seconds left! I must have you now, David, now. Vicki tells him not to listen to her, he'll burn, come to ME! David, caught between his governess and his mother, looks back and forth between the two women. His mother is being consumed in flames. Don't stop, it will be too late! calls Laura, and a desperate Vicki tells him not to move. MOTHER, MOTHER! calls David. It's too late, says Laura. David cries out to his mother, who says, "From its ashes, the phoenix is reborn!" And she screams shrilly and disappears into the flames, gone.
MOTHER! sobs David, crying uncontrollably. Vicki tells him to unlock the door, the whole place will go up! David tugs fruitlessly at the window, then goes to the door and hysterically pounds on it, finally wrenching it open. He runs into Vicki's arms, and she holds him tightly.

NOTES: Like I said, this episode was tremendously exciting, and of course, I rooted for Vicki to save David's life, save him from the fate his mother had in store for him. Pretty engrossing stuff when you didn't know what was going to happen. There was a great deal of suspense in the quick cuts from Laura and Vicki battling for David, and Liz in her Boston hospital room, warning people who were too far away to do anything about it. Liz knew her nephew was in danger but couldn't do anything to stop it. It provided for a lot of suspense.

Again, so much repetition (how many times do you think everyone in this episode said "David"? I bet it was about a hundred, minimum.

Love, Robin