Author Topic: NO I WANNA DANCE WITH YOU?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
NO I WANNA DANCE WITH YOU?
« on: April 01, 2003, 06:26:11 PM »
SCI-FI deleted most of the song I WANT TO DANCE WITH YOU today. i think they did this last time too. did anyone determine why? i think it was cause of the picture quality during the song was a litle funky cause of some special effect they were doing.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:NO I WANNA DANCE WITH YOU?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 08:09:56 PM »
Based on what I've read from you on this board Joe, I would definately trust your judgement on that one.  But I couldn't help thinking that maybe someone over at SciFi may have the song stuck in their head by now and they just couldn't stand to hear it another time...[91a2] !
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 09:30:34 PM »
[wavey] [wavey] Hello Joe i know what you
mean . Wonder if that was David Selby's
voice singing that Tune???
 [book2]   [book2]
       8) 8) 8)      Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 10:17:39 AM »
I couldn't believe they actually cut that scene.  I think this is the first time I've seen Sci-Fi actually edit out a scene on DS (obviously, to make more commercial time), but I may be wrong.  It's common practice now on virtually all the cable channels airing reruns, even on Nick-At-Night and Nick's TV Land.

Well, thank goodness that scene is on (I believe) the DS "music videos" tape.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 10:54:31 AM »
It's on the MPI tapes as well, unless that's edited as well. I don't get Sci-Fi so I don't know what they've cut. All I know is that it is the most excruciating scene of all-time on DS, IMHO. It's downright insulting...pandering at it's worst.

disgusted dom [puke]

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 05:11:48 PM »
yes it is david selby and nancy barrett singing. it was released as a record from phillips and later as a picture disc from media sound records.

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2003, 08:57:47 PM »
Yes i believeyou are right but if you compare the mpi tapes with the sci fi version, you'll begin to notice that there are alot of little things that seem to be cut out of the show.  And it's getting more noticable all the time, very sad.

Deb

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 03:42:28 AM »
When Sci Fi announced in 1991 that they had bought the entire run of DS to begin airing on their channel, Worldvision took a good look at the old tapes, and decided the show needed a face lift.  Worldvision remastered the episodes, and made slight cuts to almost every one of them.  In an effort to make the show look "better" to 90's audiences, they edited out all the video glitches, and technical flaws on the old tapes.  For example, many episodes contain glitches in the video from just age. There are bad splices, resulting in a black screen for a few seconds. Or the tape would simply "jump" from being damaged over the years.  Worldvision was very clever, because they would replace the bad scenes with a freeze frame of a previous scene or some such video editing.  A good example of these edits can be found in episode #673.  At the end, Amy starts to burn Chris' shirt. In the original tape, the video breaks up from damage right at the part where Chris finds his burning shirt after Amy has run out.  Worldvision removed the damaged scene, and replaced it with shots of the burning fireplace, that was pulled from the same scene a minute earlier!

In answer to Joe's question, that dance scene from 1897 was edited exactly for the reason's I have described. The video started "breaking up" because of the effects they were trying to do with those statues. It caused severe interference with the video. Frankly, I thought this was a very badly directed scene anyway. I would have preferred to have seen Quentin and Pansy dancing throught out the entire song.  Not the dull motionless statues.

For those purists who want to see the entire show uncut and with all the video glitches, MPI offers them untouched on DVD and video.

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 05:21:23 AM »
Thank you doombuggy69 for that interesting information as it makes sense to me now.  It goes to show you that we can't always blame sci fi for everything. :)

Deb