Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0702  (Read 2740 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0702
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
quentin was such a wonderfully wicked and complicated character during 1897 it's strange what became of him later.

like many characters on the show he lost alot of his edge en route to popularity.after the storyline returned to the "present" he devolved into just another generic,hand wringing collins(albiet an extremely handsome one).he was never as much fun again. [snow_lipsrsealed]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 02:13:09 AM »
Too often, TV thinks it can't have leading characters with real personalities.   I think they believe too few viewers will identify unless they make the lead a bit neutral so that large numbers of viewers can identify, at least a little.   They make them generic, I guess.

Happy 1600...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 06:31:14 PM »
The revelation that Quentin and Judith always hated each other and the games they play make one wonder how they grew up.

Interesting touch in that scene with Quentin and Judith which I didn't see anyone mention. He's all his normal cynical exterior in that scene -- until she says that line about him hating her. At that, he seems to drop the defenses, and says quietly "I thought you always did  me,"and asks rather sadly "Why didn't we get along?". Nice touch showing the vulnerability underneath the bratty bullying exterior.  The man behind the curtain isn't as tough and powerful as he desperately wants the world to think he is.

And I agree with ER -- I DEFINTELY peg him as the baby of the family, Carl's behavior notwithstanding.  That also explains a lot of the family's resentments toward him, esp with Grandmamamama playing them all off against each other.  He's the baby, he's very bright, can charm birds out of the trees, and is drop dead gorgeous.  Judith and Edward are the "good children" all duty and responsibility and not much sense of humor.  Carl probably started his tricks to get any attention at all after being supplanted by "the baby: and has been overshadowed by him ever since.

The best analogy I can think of with Quentin is Edward VII, the son of Queen Victoria.  Same sort of philanderer and scalliwag, had no useful occupation, his mother wouldn't trust him with any responsibility, so from sheer boredom he just played his life away waiting for her to die so he would have something to do.  Interesting thing is, given responsibility and trust for the first time in his life, he turned into a rather competant king.

As to "ruining" Jamison, hard to say if there's reality there, or just the sense, common among Victorians, that not working all the time, thinking of nothing but duty and responsibility; wanting to play and have their own interests would "ruin" the child in the long run.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
-- until she says that line about him hating her. At that, he seems to drop the defenses, and says quietly "I thought you always did  me,"and asks rather sadly "Why didn't we get along?"

Another one of my fave DS moments. I was so touched by this moment in this scene. I really get lost in the intimate, tender, incidental, real, & human moments. (I think that's one of the reasons I love the pre-Barns so much. There are many.) It helps one reconsider despicable characters when they reveal these sides of themselves.

I totally get the Q ruining J bit. I wouldn't my son and heir idolizing my brother (as a fictional example) if he was a whoremonger, drunk, drug addict, physical & mental abuser, etc.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 03:10:41 PM »
Those are the moments I look for too, Dom.  To me those are the ones that reveal character, and make someone more than a one dimentional villain.  I think that's another major reason for the appeal of DS -- of the MAIN characters, all of them get moments like that, where you see unexpected aspects of the characters that give them substance and reality in the middle of the unreal.  And thank goodness they cast actors who knew how to play and use the moments to their best advantage for character development.

It really bugs me when I see characters dismissed by a buzz word or two, as if that's all there is to the character.   [8311]  And Quentin, because of his looks, seems to be a favorite target of that. The looks stop many people cold, and they don't pay attention to what is being SHOWN (not told) about the character's behaviour.  The looks become in some minds the beginning and end of what the character is about.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics