Author Topic: 1795/6 Josette  (Read 1512 times)

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
1795/6 Josette
« on: January 11, 2004, 01:25:32 AM »
Even more striking than the different hair color or accent is the personality overhaul.  The RT Josette of 1795/6 never struck me as a particularly self-aware, or strong-willed, young woman.

i agree with this statement totally and in some ways her lack of self-awareness enabled the Barnabas/Angelique affair. I  never watched 1841 but in 1795 I thought the writers only gave drips and drabs of Josette's personality focusing more on her role as the feminine victim. I did get an indication that she was a perfectionist, had high standards for herself, and was somewhat immature. I also felt she was under pressure from her wealthy family, being the only child, to be a perfect, correct person, and in doing so probably hadn't developed her personality to its fullest. Because of these qualities Josette might have had a hard time trusting her initial feelings, or expressing her feelings, for Barnabas, creating a temporary distance between them and thus leaving room for the Angelique/Barnabas affair. If she had married Barnabas and lived in Collinwood I could envision her trying to imitate Naomi's gentle and motherly nature to please Barnabas and keep his high, if a little idealized, opinion of her. Josette was a people pleaser and Barnabas seemed to admire her poise and that she listened so well to others. Josette was a lady as per the standards of the time and it's safe to say Barnabas admired her good breeding, much like his own.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:1841 PT Josette
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
Wow, stefan, I think that was one of the best studies of Josette that I've seen!

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:1841 PT Josette
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 04:59:45 PM »
Wow, stefan, I think that was one of the best studies of Josette that I've seen!

Thanks, it's only because I'm a big fan of that part of the series and watched it many times on video. Plus I really enjoy early American history. I'm amazed KLS was able to convey that much into Josette considering what she had to work with. I get the impression the writers were focusing much more on Angelique.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:1795/6 Josette
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 05:18:58 AM »
I always felt there was more to Josette than most people indicate.  I recall her defying her aunt and visiting Vicki in jail and a few other moments like that.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 06:21:07 AM »
I always felt there was more to Josette than most people indicate.  I recall her defying her aunt and visiting Vicki in jail and a few other moments like that.

Hi,

Didn't she defy her aunt after she was bitten?

I agree with you about the time she paid a visit to Vicki in jail-- it's the one instance I can recall in which Josette grew a backbone.  It was to beg/cajole Vicki to release her spell on Barnabas, wasn't it?  Unfortunately, because Josette had been manipulated into accusing the wrong woman, she refused to believe Vicki's protestations of innocence.  I can't help but wonder how Josette was attended to by Angelique, both living under the same roof, yet she never got a clue as to the identity of the real witch.  Was Angelique that clever, or was Josette just dumb?

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 07:49:41 AM »
I can't help but wonder how Josette was attended to by Angelique, both living under the same roof, yet she never got a clue as to the identity of the real witch.  Was Angelique that clever, or was Josette just dumb?

Perhaps Josette's naivete blinded her to Angelique's evil.  According to the comments that the Countess made in 1795, the two young ladies had grown up together.  It may have been easier for Josette to believe that a stranger (Vicki) was responsible for her misery rather than someone she'd known all her life.

ProfStokes

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 08:28:34 AM »
I see Josette as more of a Pollyanna than an idiot.

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 11:56:43 AM »
I can't help but wonder how Josette was attended to by Angelique, both living under the same roof, yet she never got a clue as to the identity of the real witch.  Was Angelique that clever, or was Josette just dumb?

I had thought about that too but then I began to wonder just how much of her witchcraft did she actually use back then?  I mean, what did she really need to use any spellcasting for anyway before she came over from Martinique?  She surely didn't raise her station in life and as far as Josette and her family were concerned, everyone seemed to be in pretty good health & spirits when they arrived & nobody was talking about any kind of strange occurances that had happened to them.   Im just speculating here but maybe she really got into the good stuff as soon as arrived in Collinwood and saved the best for Barnabas.

I think Josette could have possibly been a stronger character hadn't she had to experience all the craziness that she encountered when she arrived at the old house.  On the first day she arrived she witnessed her fiance nearly dying by having a strange choking fit.   Shortly after that she received a wedding gift that contained a skull inside. Then, the next thing you know she's starting to have these strange strong feelings for a man she hardly new.  I think all of this would wear down any normal person's defences.

She did have some good strong moments though.  One of the best that I can remember is when she & her Aunt Natalie went to visit Angelique at the old house to try to find out where Barnabas had disappeard to.  (This was when he lay dying up in bed after getting the vampire bite.)  Angelique was making all kinds of excuses but Josette refused to budge and demanded to know what was going on.  When they finally heard Barnabas call from upstairs she charged right up those steps without a thought in the least as to what Ang had to say.    I think at that point in her life after experiencing everything that she had been through & surviving it had made her a stronger person, but unfortunately, it was too late for her & Barnabas.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 01:22:13 AM »
Two things to remember about Josette. #1) She more or less grew up with Angelique and there must have been a bond or trust at least on Josette's part towards Angelique and #2) Aunt Natalie was very strong in her opinions that Miss Winters was the witch. Back in those days, a young woman in Josette's position would most likely have respected and trusted the woman who was most like a mother figure to her since her own mother was dead.
Also, as Vicki pointed out once, the Josette of 1795 had apparently become a legend during her brief time of being alive at Collinwood.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 02:21:13 AM »
Well, managed to get into this new board with my usual password..here goes!

Also, as Vicki pointed out once, the Josette of 1795 had apparently become a legend during her brief time of being alive at Collinwood

Interesting that this is believable considering Josette wasn't really a fully developed character. Some of the credit should go to KLS as she did convey a certain elegance and dignity to Josette.
I thought it was irritating that there weren't more Josette/Barnabas scenes before he become a vampire. I would have liked to have witnessed more of their relationship. I felt JF and KLS did NOT have the easy karma of Lara Parker and JF but with some work I could see them developing this couple, the potential WAS there. Anyone agree?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 02:47:41 AM »
I felt JF and KLS did NOT have the easy karma of Lara Parker and JF but with some work I could see them developing this couple, the potential WAS there. Anyone agree?

I agree that the potential was there. She never really had her chance once Angelique started passing curses and spells around.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf