Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 454319 times)

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #690 on: December 07, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »
If its true about filming in the summer won,t they have to start casting soon/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 07, 2008, 11:42:23 PM »
Literally dozens of entertainment/horror sites have picked up and are reporting Richard Zanuck's comments. One major site that's conspicuously absent: EW.com. Gee, I wonder why that is?  [santa_rolleyes]  Could it be that they don't want to call attention to the completely wrong impression they derived from Depp's deal with Disney and they're hoping people will just forget about it? No - that couldn't possibly be it.  [santa_grin]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:47 AM »
That is very true MB. Can you imagine that of all the "respected" publications including online .com pages out there that EW would not want to report a major Johnny Depp breaking story. It must have been a simple oversight on its part. jk Perhaps now they will feel obligated to give the DS movie a great review.

For a movie that is allegedly going to be filming in 6-8 months can we now assume that the movie is officially in the pre-production stage although it is not stated as such? If not, aren't they cutting it close by not already having a cast in place, various contracts signed, a budget set in place, sets built etc...? Perhaps this project is further along than we thought? I also wonder if Twilight's success made WB ask Depp/Burton to push the project up on their schedule.

The good thing is there will be an actual DS movie panel at next year's Festival-fingers crossed of course.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #693 on: December 08, 2008, 01:23:13 AM »
Good point MB about EW not wanting to own up to their mistakes!  When they made that flip little back burner remark, I didn't take them at their word, but I didn't realize how much damage it would do, in the sense that everyone seemed to believe it.  So I hope they will be more careful in the future, or they will begin to have the same reputation as all those tabloids that keep saying that Johnny is going to play Roger Moore  [santa_cheesy]

jimbo, I agree with you that they are probably already making preparations for a summer shoot- since they know where they are filming, they could well be building sets and the like.  I don't think a cast necessarily has to be in place this far in advance- often for films that Johnny is in, the rest of the cast gets announced gradually in the months leading up to, and sometimes even after filming has begun.  But I do agree that now is probably the time when they're contacting potential cast members to have them read the script and see who's interested, negotiating what their salaries would be, etc.  I'll bet that in the spring, we'll hear of the filming start date and start to hear of other cast members--- so exciting!   [8_2_59] 

If any of you casting agents are out there, Cillian Murphy for Quentin (if there is a Quentin), and Charlize Theron for Angelique!   [santa_smiley]

Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 08, 2008, 01:41:17 AM »
Madscntst you are probably right about that it is not imperative at this point to have a cast in place. What I am thinking of if the DS producers wanted someone like Anne Hathaway wouldn't they need to "book" her at this stage knowing she has many projects she may be considering? At least there is sufficient time to do the casting unlike the WB 2004 pilot where the producers had what a whole month to complete the casting. These are exciting times.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #695 on: December 08, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/66626-casting-shadows/

Interesting diatribe on DS casting.. likely not even 0.1% accurate but fun to speculate nonetheless. . i do enjoy that they dismiss HBC as a Julia Hoffman and find Grayson:
quote from article:  "Dr. Julia Hoffman - it is literally impossible to replace the gaunt gal gravitas of Grayson Hall. She was all nicotine-stained bone structure and maiden aunt magnificence."
Julia99

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #696 on: December 08, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »
Interesting article, thanks Julia!  They picked Cillian for Quentin, yayyy!!!  And I like the idea of Paul Giamatti as Willie Loomis.  I love Judi Dench but think she's probably too old to be Elizabeth (unless Carolyn Stoddard is cast a little older than 18).  I think Maggie Gylenhaal is all wrong to play Vicki (too earthy and not conventionally pretty) but I think she'd be great as her namesake, Maggie Evans.  So I'd switch their choices and cast Beckinsale as Vicki.  I like the idea of Joan Allen as Julia.  I love Naomi Watts but somehow don't picture her as Angelique- I'll stick with Charlize Theron as my favorite.  I think Freddie Highmore is already too old to play David- I think he's about 14 now.  I wouldn't be so sure that Count Petofi or Aristede would even be in the cast, but who knows.  Have I mentioned, this is exciting!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #697 on: December 08, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »
I AM so BEYOND excited!! :) [8_2_59]  [8_2_74] [santa_cheesy]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 09, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
Hmmm. Something tells me the open letter to Tim Burton and Johnny Depp that appears in this article may have been written by the same Ed Gross who wrote the article and who is also likely the same Ed Gross who put together the DS Files set of books back in the '80s.

Check out: "Dark Shadows" Reunites Depp & Burton

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #699 on: December 09, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
I recently watched a series with Rachel Ward called "Rain Shadow"-made in Australia. It occurred to me that her character in that was similar to Julia Hoffman. She had the same abrupt yet caring demeanor, as well as those great cheekbones. I think she would make a great Dr. Hoffman!
[8_2_73] [8_2_73] [8_2_73]
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #700 on: December 10, 2008, 06:46:27 AM »
Rachel Ward (to me) looks to old to play Julia.  She looks "rough" in her picture on IMDB.com  I find Grayson much prettier than her.  I thought the 1991 show did a good job at filling Graysons shoes.  I hope that can find someone of the caliber on Barbara Steele to play Julia
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 10, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »
I've always been fond of the idea of Gillian Anderson or Miranda Otto (Eowyn in Lord of the Rings) as Julia. But I think the best thing would be not to see that character at all in a first film - I still think it's best to base the movie on Barnabas's origins and save the present day for a possible sequel(s).

A trilogy would be awesome, if Depp & co. would do it: 01)Barnabas's origins 02)1897 Quentin's introduction and 03) Present day characters. I think I would make it so Barnabas is unchained in a second movie in 1897, instead of messing with messy time travel plots. And then he and Quentin could show up again in the present day in the last film in the trilogy. That would be my dream there, but whatever they come up with, I'll look forward to it.

I hope they cast a younger unknown for Angelique. Theron would be great, but I think she's a bit too old and too known.

My dream Quentin would honestly be Jensen Ackles (Dean, Supernatural). And my picks for Josette would be Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman or Lucy Griffiths (Marian in BBC's Robin Hood) - or a complete unknown, just like Angelique. I just hope they cast a capable actress. I want justice done to Josette so very much.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #702 on: December 11, 2008, 04:57:19 AM »
Hmmm. Something tells me the open letter to Tim Burton and Johnny Depp that appears in this article may have been written by the same Ed Gross who wrote the article and who is also likely the same Ed Gross who put together the DS Files set of books back in the '80s.

Check out: (URL)

At  years old Johnny Depp was watching DS?  [DOB 6/8/63]
Julia99

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #703 on: December 11, 2008, 05:52:06 AM »
I must admit this is my favorite thread to watch. You just can't find any info on the new DS movie anywhere else. I'm very happy that you guys are finding this stuff for us. [santa_thumb]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 11, 2008, 06:03:38 AM »
Apparently Cillian Muphy fans (or at least one fan) are going into seizures of excitement over the suggestion that he should play Quentin.

Check out: Public Post!

Also, Reelz Channel's Dailies has picked up the latest news. Check out: Dark Shadows film mentioned on Dailies