Author Topic: DVD Long-Term Availability  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: DVD Long-Term Availability
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »
although, i don't understand why they couldn't colorize the episodes that were missing and shown in black and white.

Oh, Willie, Willie, Willie - you're so lucky you said that here and not on some of the other DS boards/lists because you would have instantly ignited a flame war the likes of which you would not soon forget!  [lghy]  Though still, we have no control over the unspeakable acts that guests and members might contemplate doing off-forum, so you might want to hire some security to guard against potential death threats...

I'll say that my opinion is that colorizing anything is sacrilege. But I'll leave it at that.  [b003]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 12:23:27 AM »
...although, i don't understand why they couldn't colorize the episodes that were missing and shown in black and white.   

They probably could've, but chose not to. Alleluiah!

*edit - nevermind, MB got it [ghost]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
That financial argument I can buy. The argument that there is no actual improvement in quality I can't.

What I said was that there was no HUGE improvement in quality, not that there's none at all.  The other thing with VHS tapes, especially if you rented them, was that once they started getting a bit worn they started looking really bad, but DVD's of course look brand new no matter how many times they've been played. 

There's just not that level of improvement from DVD to Blu Ray.  Of course, there's the other side of the financial argument as well.  Once somebody has spent all the money on a hi-def TV and Blu Ray player, they're certainly not going to tell other people that they only notice a small improvement, they'd sound silly for having spent all that money.  We've all seen Hi-def TV's in stores and yes, when you stand 3 feet in front of a 60" hi-def screen it looks quite impressive.  But when you stand 15 feet from a 32" high def screen, like I would in my own house, the difference is only moderately noticeable.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »
i agree Willie although 1stly let me say that VHS over dvd & The quality is worse. let me reverse that IF you may. i meant to say that Dvd over VHS is of course FAR BETTER. & yes i've seen screen caps of HD DVD films over standard dvd & the quality is a little bit better. buut i also agree it depends on what kind of tv set it's playing on. IF you have a 60 inch tv set than yes i'm sure it does look indeed better. my rents do. i don't though mine is i think 27 inches buut it's wide soo it looks bigger than it's actual size. their tv you put in let's say Law & order & you know how for fans of the show here they letterbox it. & letter boxing a tv show it just stupid IF ya ask me buut that's NOT the   
  issue i was referring to. i was referring to they letterbox MOST tv shows for some ungodly stupid reason & on my rents tv which as i said it's
60 inch. i believe & you can't see the bars. NOT at all. than you put that same episode on my tv & there they are.

buut i do agree though i think blue-ray is going to fad out sooner or later. it's also stupid that they put insert players into video games. for the games ok i can see that. they are easier to use. i can understand that part. i like the games as dvd's myself to be honest. buut to put one in to play movies. is just absurdly stupid. anyone today has a dvd player. even IF you have no money to live on, you most likely have a dvd player of some kind. ya know?  that's my point. also Willie i agree they should have colorized the b&W episosdes that were shown in color when originally aired. buut it really doesn't matter to me either way. IF one of the reasons was cause it would destroy the qualtiy than i am  THRILLED they choose NOT to do that ya know? buut anyways yes i do agree that Blue-Ray is stupid & SHOULD go out
like a bad fart caught in the wind.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 05:34:45 PM »
although, i don't understand why they couldn't colorize the episodes that were missing and shown in black and white.

Oh, Willie, Willie, Willie - you're so lucky you said that here and not on some of the other DS boards/lists because you would have instantly ignited a flame war the likes of which you would not soon forget!  [lghy]  Though still, we have no control over the unspeakable acts that guests and members might contemplate doing off-forum, so you might want to hire some security to guard against potential death threats...

I'll say that my opinion is that colorizing anything is sacrilege. But I'll leave it at that.  [b003]

to clarify, to colorize the episodes that were in color, but lost and shown in black  and white.  and to be quite honest, the whole show should have been left in black and white.  more "spooky" i think.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »
Oh, I knew what you meant - though some fans are real sticklers and wouldn't even want the kinescope eps to be colorized. I wouldn't dismiss that security detail just yet.  [ghost_nowink]

Seriously, though, even if TPTB had wanted to colorize the kinescopes, I suspect it might have been more trouble than it was worth given how washed out and/or murky they often are.