Author Topic: Another DC Project  (Read 974 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another DC Project
« on: March 04, 2004, 09:25:28 PM »
(Hmmm - I wonder if this is why DC isn't directing the WB DS pilot himself?)

OUR FATHERS (Showtime, New!) - The pay channel has begun casting a new telefilm based on the book of the same name by Newsweek magazine senior editor David France, which features the subtitle "The Secret Life of the Catholic Church in an Age of Scandal." The book tracks the story of the Boston Globe reporters who uncovered the sex abuse scandal surrounding former priest John J. Geoghan, who ultimately was convicted of groping a 10-year-old boy and was slain in prison last fall. Showtime executives insist the project won't be exploitive, as the names will be changed to protect the victims involved. Dan Curtis ("Dark Shadows") is on board to executive produce and direct the telefilm, which is set to begin production in April, from a script by Thomas Michael Donnelly ("A Soldier's Sweetheart"). France will serve as a consultant on the project.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Another DC Project
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 10:20:19 PM »
As though changing the names of the victims could make this subject any less exploitive, not to mention loathsome and despicable.

The reporters who did the research and the investigations that unearthed this horror are entitled to their Pulitzers and their book deals because they actual DID the work that brought this obscenity to the light of day.

What contribution does a movie-of-the-week version make.....other than the financial profit of all involved?

How utterly beneath contempt.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Nancy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 10:34:26 PM »
As though changing the names of the victims could make this subject any less exploitive, not to mention loathsome and despicable.

The reporters who did the research and the investigations that unearthed this horror are entitled to their Pulitzers and their book deals because they actual DID the work that brought this obscenity to the light of day.

What contribution does a movie-of-the-week version make.....other than the financial profit of all involved?

How utterly beneath contempt.

Well, you can't much get around that Rainey since any project a network takes on is (hopefully think the suits) going to make the network money.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps like the dramatization of rapes in earlier TV programs and movies and other formerly taboo subjects will spur discussion and bring what was considerable to be shameful (the victims felt the shame) out into the light for discussion and victims who see the movie(s) feel less isolated.  That's one of the worst aspects of being a victim I think - feeling as if no one else could understand what you are going through, let alone believe you.

Nancy

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 11:16:06 PM »
That would be a reasonable arguement if we were talking about a subject that was still under-represented in the media.  But this is a subject that has now received a years worth of media saturation.  Is there anyone left in America who doesn't know about this topic?  Is there anyone left who doesn't believe it really happened?....except for those who REFUSE to believe it happened?

The victims in this require many things to be made whole again......and yes, public acknowledgement of the truth about what happened is one of those things.  I just don't agree that a 'movie of the week' is the appropriate venue for such a significant and difficult topic.  And frankly, I don't believe for a moment that the healing of the victims is the primary motivation of those involved.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 01:17:50 AM »
The latest news on Our Fathers is that Christopher Plummer has joined the cast as Cardinal Law of Boston. Showtime released this information today. You can read more on Yahoo:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040413/nytu167_1.html

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 01:47:52 PM »
i have mixed feelings about this. The Catholic church is still blind to this and
i've left the church because i can't stomach it anymore.Law needs as much
negative exposure as possible as he still is living well as the victims still suffer. i see your points Rainey but look at what is on tv. The scott Peterson tv movie
was awful and there was a movie about Chuck Stuart (man here shot his pregnant wife then blamed it on carjacking and pointed to a black man)they were not well done but i hope this story is because it is an important one as those writers did expose on the the biggest scandals ever in our history and maybe the truth needs to be told again>

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 07:51:49 PM »
Curtis and Showtime aren't the only ones interested in dramatizing this particular situation. It's also showing up on stage:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/85618.html

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 05:08:46 PM »
Late last week, it was announced that Brian Dennehy will join the cast of Our Fathers. You can read more about it here:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/86057.html