Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0292  (Read 1337 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0292
« on: September 04, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
Robservations - #292

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0292

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
And speaking of that particular post:
You wonder what Dave and Julia did in school. What dope did she have on him, maybe they both have an interesting back story.  :-X

Everyone can speculate about Julia's past right here:
Episode #0292
>:D

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:34:16 PM »
WELCOME, GORDON RUSSELL! According to one trivia page, this was his first script. I do like the voiceover he gave AM, which concerns "those at Collinwood who wear many masks."

Julia and Dave Woodard all but get into a shouting match because Julia won't give him a good reason for her what he refers to as her "unmedical activities." Julia tells him she's on the verge of a great discovery, and whoever helps her will share in the glory. But she is trying to protect not just Dave but also Sam, Joe, and Maggie herself. Please trust me just a little longer, Julia pleads. Lately she seems to be asking a lot of people to do that.

Poor Sarah is crying because she's lost her friend Maggie. Maggie Evans is dead, David tells her. No, she isn't, Sarah insists. I just don't know where she is. David asks her home for supper, but she says, People don't like it when I come. One wonders how many people at Collinwood she's tried to approach in her unique loneliness over the years--and how many of them she unintentionally frightened. With utter matter-of-factness, she tells David, You know all about leaves. I know when people are alive or dead.

Burke and Julia meet for the first time, and he's just as skeptical as Elizabeth was, especially given the yarn that Julia spins for him. She's saved from further questioning by Vicki, who burst in announcing that she's fallen in love--with a house by the sea.

Although she's uneasy, Sarah comes home with David, who leaves her in the foyer to tell everyone he's brought a friend home. But when everyone follows him out to the foyer, Sarah has gone. But Vicki finds her little cap lying on the floor.....

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
If Julia were to succeed in her experiment and made it known, what prize would she have received? Pulitzer, Nobel Peace, etc.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:16:26 PM »
Dr. Woodard again demands that Julia give him an explanation for what she's up to and Julia again tells him to give her more time. He's right though, more right than he knows perhaps when he tells Julia she's left very little room for making mistakes. She is going to have to watch her back...or perhaps more accuately, her NECK, now that she's in a somewhat reluctant partnership with a vampire...and as I said previously Barnabas is not a very trusting fellow.

Elizabeth had a right to be skeptical of Julia....Collinwood is her estate and anything connected to her family or her family history is her affair, not Burke's. Julia doesn't owe Burke ANY explanation as to why she wants to do a history of the family (since we all know that isn't her true agenda!).

I've seen many old houses while on vacation so I can relate to Vicki getting so infatuated with it.

It never occured to me before that Sarah tried to approach other people before appearing to Maggie and David. I wonder if maybe she knew one day Barnabas would be released from his coffin. I always wondered what triggered Sarah coming back....she didn't come immediately after he was freed...maybe she was biding her time to see what he would do.

Poor David...no one believes him about his new friend being real. Vicki just dismisses her as his imaginary friend until she spots Sarah's cap. Now that's no imaginary cap for sure.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 06:54:08 AM »
I wish to note that nobody answered the question I asked five years ago in the first paragraph of my post for this episode, as to why the second floor landing looks so high.  I suppose the answer is that the whole foyer is taller than it is wide, but it still seems interesting to me.  And I also wish to note that the great house of Collinwood was built sometime after 1750 (I don't think it's necessary to be any more specific than that, and I wish to note, because I'm doing a lot of wishing and noting here, that I know perfectly well that there is a time band in which the great house of Collinwood was built long before 1750, but that's not what I'm talking about) and I think it very odd that the staircase had so few steps.  There's a Rudyard Kipling fan fiction Just So story in there somewhere.

I agree with IluvBarnabas in thinking that Sarah hasn't been out and around for very long.  In the 1991 series, if I remember correctly, David was seeing her before Barnabas was released from his coffin, but that's not the case here.  It seems to have definitely been something to do with Barnabas that caused Sarah to roam the earth.  I've come to believe that Maggie had something to do with it as well, but I haven't nailed it all down.  Anyway, Sarah now declares that she knows who is dead and who isn't, and the way it's said indicates that she's saying not, “I’m not a baby,” but rather, “I have that power,” which indicates a self-awareness that I don't think she had before.  At the beginning, I don't think Sarah knew she was dead.  Does she now know that she is dead?

Vicky finds Sarah's cap, which makes the third time that something has become detached from the entity that is Sarah: first there was the doll that she gave Maggie, second was the ball that was left in the Old House basement, and now we have the cap.  They're running out of things that she can decently shed.  Will it be a glass slipper next?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
I've always thought that no matter what plane of existence Sarah inhabits, she "awoke" at the same moment that Barnabas did because the relationship between them in life was so strong and enduring. I also think that because of her love for him, she was appalled at his vampiric deeds. She knew they were terrible and wrong, but I'm guessing she didn't know WHY he was acting that way. She knows he means to harm Maggie somehow, and that's why she befriended her and helped her escape.

As for whether she appeared to anyone else before now, that was just a crazy guess on my part. But on further reflection, I think she probably didn't. It was Barnabas's presence that revived her. Everyone else she knew in life is dead, really dead.

Sarah can still remain decent--we already know she can move things around that don't belong to her. She picked up Jason's cap and put it on top of Barn's coffin.

Interesting idea about the second-floor landing, Lydia. But I can't guess the reason for it.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:00 AM »
I've always thought that no matter what plane of existence Sarah inhabits, she "awoke" at the same moment that Barnabas did because the relationship between them in life was so strong and enduring.

I don't remember - I thought David had already played with Sarah before the appearance of Barnabas, but I'm sure there are many here who would know for sure.
Josette

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »
In the 1991 revival, David was playing with Sarah before Barnabas was unchained. In the original show, Sarah doesn't make her first appearance to anyone until a couple months after Barnabas was freed.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
Julia should have a better cover story to,explain what she is doing without revealing as much as she does since her plan is to cure Barnabas then she shouldnt point nything his way nd how does she plan to present her findings and what is the purpose? To cure more vampires? It seems she is trying to either stop death or bring back the dead by some means but there seems to be a number of unthoughtful ideas going on.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »
Lydia, the door under the stairs is six feet high and there are nine and a half inches of moulding according to the specs so that is about a foot short of a modern eight foot ceiling.  Notice the panels are narrower and longer than the ones in the drawing room to add to the illusion of height. The side walls also have no trim to cut up their feeling of height and the fact that they shoot at a low angle.  There are no specs on the stairs so if they cheated and made the treads smaller than normal but kept the risers the same it makes the stairs steeper and thus look taller as compared to the stairs in the old house which look low. It also helps that most the actors are petite and look small against the backdrop. In reality due to the height of the drawing room ceilings there has to be another set of steps beyond that door to get to the second floor.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
Thanks, alwaysdavid!  None of that had occurred to me, and it's very interesting!

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 08:27:21 AM »
It occurs to me that it was an awful lot easier in the days before Google for someone like Julia to pull off her ruse of being someone she really wasn't. Burke seems awfully interested in determining whether "Miss" Hoffman is on the level, but he seems to lack the tools necessary to launch much of an investigation into the matter. Today, it would take him 5 minutes on the internet to find out whether she was for real or not.

I notice that Dr. Woodard refers to Joe as Maggie's fiance. Did I miss something? Did they get engaged in an earlier episode?