Author Topic: HBO Has a Taste for 'Blood'  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
HBO Has a Taste for 'Blood'
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:30:05 PM »
And yet another vampire series of possible interest:

HBO Has a Taste for 'Blood'

True Blood Vampire Saga Tests Positive at HBO

X-Men's Anna Paquin Banks on Blood

Is it just me, or does it seem like the WB DS pilot was before it's time? Why do I get the feeling that if it had been made recently, it never would have been passed on? Though the fact that it was may have been what's lead to the Depp deal. So, who can say if in the long run the fact that the pilot was passed on wasn't a good thing or not...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: HBO Has a Taste for 'Blood'
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 10:15:19 PM »
I just wonder if long time DS producer Kennedy now a developmental program executive at HBO, would have developed a new DS series for HBO if it wasn't for Depp's interest in doing a DS movie? Kennedy would have had the means and opportunity to pitch a new series to HBO.

I just don't think the WB pilot was good enough to go to series with the cast it had. Although I prefer a television series to a DS movie, having the movie filmed with WB's backing hopefully provides a better opportunity (than a HBO DS series) for the full restoration of the DS movies.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 10:34:41 PM »
I just don't think the WB pilot was good enough to go to series with the cast it had.

It's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a series to recast roles, often even pivotal ones, between the shooting of the pilot and the series' debut (or to even completely reshoot the pilot). In fact, this year seems to be a banner year for recasting.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 10:57:48 PM »
It's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary for a series to recast roles, often even pivotal ones, between the shooting of the pilot and the series' debut (or to even completely reshoot the pilot). In fact, this year seems to be a banner year for recasting.

MB that is very true and it is a shame that it appears that the WB made no efforts as you described above to film a better pilot. There was a lot of spinning going around at that time between John Wells and the WB but it was more of a blame game than an effort to fix what was wrong with the pilot. We will never know if HBO was considering a new DS series before the announcement of the proposed new DS movie. The timing was right as you suggested and we had a DS producer/executive already on board at HBO.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 05:56:03 AM »
I, for one, quite enjoyed the 04 DS Pilot. The only thing it suffered under was the direction, as many involved with the project have pointed out. Having read, and owning, a copy of the script, that was completely solid, and much of what was on the screen followed what was in the script. Only thing that detracted heavily from it was the ending, but I thought it was a fair start for something that would get better. Because, let's face it, most show pilots suck compared to what comes later.

And if the WB Pilot had've been made this year, for this fall's line up, it probably would be picked up. It seems that just after the 04 pilot was made, like others have pointed out, is when the off-beat, supernatural, mysterious etc craze really started. I mean, we have Supernatural, Heroes, Bionic Woman (coming up), The Sarah Connor Chronicles (also upcoming), Pushing Daises (yet another upcoming), Medium, Ghost Whisperer, Moonlight ('nother upcoming), and who knows how many I've forgotten to list. Sadly, DS was before it's time, yet again.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:16:50 PM »
OT - but WB Television is apparently preparing a network series for the fall called "Moonlight" - about a vampire private detective who falls in love with a mortal woman.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
Nelson Collins, I believe that's the one of the other vampire series that MB was referring to.  Here's a topic about "Moonlight":
OT: New Vampire Series Coming This Fall on CBS

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:27:05 PM »
Nelson Collins, I believe that's the one of the other vampire series that MB was referring to.  Here's a topic about "Moonlight":...
Apologies, been doing a lot of Short Attention Span Theatre lately.  Thanks for the link!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.