Author Topic: TLAKLS Speaks re Fest  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:TLAKLS Speaks re Fest
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 06:42:50 PM »
It almost seems to me that this "farewell fest" idea might be connected with the earlier uprising against the change of the festival date to Labor Day weekend.  I tend to be cynical about more and more as time goes by so I'm sure I could be wrong.   [deal2]

I'm only aware of the feedback in the petition and not privy to what may have been said directly to the festival committee, but what was presented to them was a long listing of comments that politely and articulately stated that either the new dates presented a hardship or that the person supported the others that are being inconvenienced, with some comments also addressing the new location.  JP and pansyfaye each received copies and the latter expressed her thanks and sent an email to all the "signers" that provided contact info.  And speaking as the person that gathered all the posts and emails, I promise that there wasn't anything contained in the petition that would make them want to retaliate.

Rumors and speculation have been rampant following the latest announcement, which isn't at all surprising considering the way it was presented to us, yet pansyfaye has remained open to feedback.  She inquired recently about what's being said here because she's not a member and can't read the comments herself, but it's no secret that she's present on other forums.  This is why I don't understand (!) why fans are willing to speak very bluntly on the hundreds of DS lists and other forums yet hesitant to express how they feel directly to the committee for fear it will somehow lead to repercussions.

Nancy

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 07:34:43 PM »
I'm only aware of the feedback in the petition and not privy to what may have been said directly to the festival committee, but what was presented to them was a long listing of comments that politely and articulately stated that either the new dates presented a hardship or that the person supported the others that are being inconvenienced, with some comments also addressing the new location.  JP and pansyfaye each received copies and the latter expressed her thanks and sent an email to all the "signers" that provided contact info.  And speaking as the person that gathered all the posts and emails, I promise that there wasn't anything contained in the petition that would make them want to retaliate.

As long as the festival has existed, there have been people unhappy about where it was, when it was, what was programmed, and so on. I have no doubt the petition Midnite organized and sent to JP et al. was well received but with the experience and knowledge that nothing pleases everyone.  I doubt they would fold over the petition.    Imagine the litany of complaints this festival has gotten over twenty years and still kept going strong.  If anything, many fans have complained the festivals have become too large and too commercial and preferred the more innocent, less crowded "old days."  The security factors have increased along with the crowds.

JP said a few years ago to some people, including me, that the festivals were going to "wind down" and now is obviously the time that is being done.  I emailed with a festival staff member last week who told me she heard the same thing from JP awhile back as well, and thought a change in format was a good thing.

Nancy

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 07:46:59 PM »
The security factors have increased along with the crowds.

I can definitely see where that would be an issue based on recent experiences.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2003, 09:52:11 PM »
And speaking as the person that gathered all the posts and emails, I promise that there wasn't anything contained in the petition that would make them want to retaliate.
I wasn't thinking of it as retaliation.  I was thinking more along the lines of it being seen as a way of (perhaps) convincing people who may have been on the fence about the date and location to make the decision to come any way - that is, if they thought there were enough people who may have been upset about it.

Sorry - I don't think I made that very clear in my post. [nuts]

Ooops, I should have realized this is the way the unfounded rumor mill gets going - it was a pretty long shot logic-wise any way.

CastleBee ~ Who has not lost hope that she will one day learn to keep her... [lpsldb]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2003, 02:59:04 AM »
It almost seems to me that this "farewell fest" idea might be connected with the earlier uprising against the change of the festival date to Labor Day weekend.  I tend to be cynical about more and more as time goes by so I'm sure I could be wrong.

Your theory sounds as good as any, Castlebee.  They might have decided to throw in the towel after taking a lot of heat after the switch to Labor Day weekend.  Or that could have been a deciding factor -- the straw that broke the camel's back.  If personal factors were what's behind the decision, then we'll obviously never be told.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2003, 03:01:14 AM »
I wasn't thinking of it as retaliation.  I was thinking more along the lines of it being seen as a way of (perhaps) convincing people who may have been on the fence about the date and location to make the decision to come any way - that is, if they thought there were enough people who may have been upset about it.

Sorry - I don't think I made that very clear in my post.
[nuts]

My fault, sorry, for misunderstanding.  :-

. . . that she will one day learn to keep her... [lpsldb]

Oh please don't.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2003, 06:09:16 AM »

Oh please don't.

Yes Castle Bee please don't as soon the battle of the hair to the ceiling(marge simpson look) will begin and this is always worth a few laughs!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2003, 04:58:00 PM »
Oh please don't.
Don't worry you guys...there's probably not much chance of that actually happening since I'm pretty sure by now that it's genetically impossible - at least for extended periods of time! Nobody ever wondered why my grandfather occasionally called me "clatter jaw".  [lghy]

If personal factors were what's behind the decision, then we'll obviously never be told.
Completely agree - but I'll bet the rumors will no doubt be flying for some time!

CastleBee ~ looking forward to the great hair race! Ahhh the entertainment value of 60's/70's fashions never seems to wane![/font]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2003, 02:23:40 AM »
Please note that my post was meant to respond immediately to the earlier post Castlebee made, which I thought was the most recent post on the board --  I wasn't aware that there was nearly a full second page of commentary that followed hers, which I hadn't read.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995