Author Topic: About Michael Maitland.......  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:About Michael Maitland.......
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 02:42:07 AM »
Thought you might enjoy this page about it, Rainey--

Thanks Midnite!!  I'm starting to catch bits and pieces of it in my head.....and who knew so many of the cast would go on to fine careers!!
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2003, 03:19:29 AM »
I'm almost certain 16 Magazine ran a photo of MM and he was sporting his natural (dark) hair. Anyone else remember this? I remember being very surprised...or do I?

You do. In fact, 16 ran several photos of Maitland, and I don't believe he had the wig on in any of them. He even "hosted" one of 16's DS Letters columns.

I haven't gotten the chance to look up anything on him yet - but I will - eventually. [wink2]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2003, 03:50:54 AM »
I must be oblivious, because it certainly didn't look like a wig to me.

In fact, the young actor reminds me a lot of my nephew (I know I mentioned this last time, too).  And, come to think of it, my hair was exactly that color when I was his age ... (believe it or not to those who know me now!).

:)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2003, 06:04:35 AM »
Maitland was also in the original Broadway cast of Mame with Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur.

He played Peter Dennis, who appears in the final moments of the show as Patrick Dennis' son.

Maitland was also the understudy for the role of Patrick Dennis as a young boy.

Whether he was wigged, wigless, or wiggy, I know not.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2003, 07:14:30 AM »
Same here. I never seem to notice any of the wigs on the show, lol. Not until someone mentions it, at least.

I never noticed he was wearing a wig either.  Although when it comes to the women on the show I always notice that right away, lol!   I just assumed he (M.M.) was a natural blonde since it seemed to fit his face okay.

Im sure they could have used Clairol's Loving Care lotion as Im pretty sure that was around back then.  It has no peroxide and washes right out after a few shampoos so it doesn't contain any of the harsh chemicals that regular hair dye does.  I guess only his hairdressor knows for sure!  :-X

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 05:06:00 PM »
Now his hair just looks like it's been on the receiving end of a very bad dye job.

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2003, 09:27:57 PM »
Now his hair just looks like it's been on the receiving end of a very bad dye job.

LOL!!  Yeah, what's up with that hair?  It looked so stiff today that I dont think a hurricane could have moved it.  Didn't move at all, even when Philip was dragging him in the shop.

Deb

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2003, 01:33:12 AM »
I don't know about you all but I surely cannot tell that he's wearing a wig.  This was news to me.  I remember way back when at around age 14 alot of the boys my age had hair just like that.  I also think his hair looks natural as a blonde.  I would have never guessed that his own hair color is brown.  I'll have to watch more closely tomorrow.

As for hairdying, I agree with you Miss_Winthrop on that. I wouldn't be too happy on letting my young have his hair dyed.  When my daughter was 16 and wanted to dye it one time and I told her no way.  You'll have plenty of time for that when you're older plus the chemicals in hairdye aren't all that safe.   ;)

Look closely - his own hair has been "spray painted" yellow. They did the same thing with Sabrina's hair - it is spray painted gray. There are temporary hair-color sprays (or were, at that time) that wash out. They look terrible and are chiefly used on the stage. You can see it clearly in the close-ups.

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2003, 05:52:20 AM »
Hi Dr.Eric Lang,  Did they make that spray stuff for the hair back then?  If it's the same one Im thinking of I thought it was relatively new on the market?

If it was the spray they used on Michael's hair that would at least explain the stiff hair look then.

Deb

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2003, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm almost certain 16 Magazine ran a photo of MM and he was sporting his natural (dark) hair. Anyone else remember this? I remember being very surprised...or do I?

???

yes i do too! aahh 16 magazine and TigerBeat those were the days.......

jennifer(still 16 at heart!)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2003, 06:39:47 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe Michael Maitland attended one of the DS Fests in NYC.  I seem to recall seeing his picture in one of the programs and his bio mentioning something about having a cabaret act.

Michael never attended a Festival. His picture was in one of the program books but he was a no-show.  :(

SDP

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2003, 05:17:48 AM »
BTW, Tony-winner Keene Curtis will show up in the 1840 storyline.
I was fortunate enough to see Keene Curtis as ALbin in LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, opposite Peter Marshall (remember him from HOLLYWOOD SQUARES?) in Cincy, OH in 1985.  Afterwards, my friends and I had drinks with Ronald Dennis (the "Maid"), and Keene stopped by to say "hi."  He was quite the gentleman--and had quite an attractive companian with him.  I'll leave it at that--the point is, he was a very sweet man (and he was EXCELLENT in the show.)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2003, 11:34:44 PM »
Look closely - his own hair has been "spray painted" yellow. They did the same thing with Sabrina's hair - it is spray painted gray. There are temporary hair-color sprays (or were, at that time) that wash out. They look terrible and are chiefly used on the stage. You can see it clearly in the close-ups.

Very observant and discriminating, Dr. Lang!  Now, where were you when that discussion about Count Petofi's nose was going on?  :)

Deb -- I think those spray hair dyes have been around for a long time!

;)

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995