Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0286  (Read 1578 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0286
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Robservations - #286

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0286

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
As the storm rages outside, Barnabas and Vicki have a highly interesting conversation about Josette and her lover, the man who pursued her to death. Barnabas almost pleads, He never meant her to die! Vicki says that she doesn't understand the kind of love that leads to death and destruction. With even more feeling, though still keeping his face turned away from her, Barnabas says, Perhaps Josette never understood him or the extent of his love. If he loved her, then he wouldn’t have frightened her, Vicki insists. Barnabas answers, Perhaps not. But I can’t defend everything he did--nor could he. These sad recollections have reactivated Barnabas’s dormant conscience, and he suggests (guiltily), The storm may be letting up. I don’t think so, Vicki insists. I must stay. Shortly afterward, she excuses herself and goes upstairs. Barnabas wishes her a good night and adds, I hope you’ll find everything you need. After she goes, he looks a little worried now that he has what he wanted.

Willie comes downstairs from somewhere and shows Barnabas Sarah's ball, which he found near the coffin. He suggests it belongs to "that little girl," which Barnabas strenuously denies. Meanwhile, while lying in Josette's own bed, Vicki hears Sarah singing "London Bridge." The  it's Willie's turn to be shocked when Vicki comes back downstairs. He offers to take her home, but she insists on staying. After she leaves, Barnabas makes snide remarks to the effect that Willie didn't use to be so thoughtful.

After Vicki goes back up again, Willie is terrified that Barnabas will punish him for his audacity. You can kill me if you want to, says Willie hoarsely, but I don’t want you to harm her. She never did anything to deserve it. Abruptly Barnabas changes his mind and asks Willie to stay and talk. But streetwise Willie guesses what's really going on. You like her, don’t you, Barnabas? he says. That’s why you don’t want to harm her, isn’t it? Barnabas turns and walks away from him. Willie presses his advantage, pleading, Don’t harm her, Barnabas! She never did anything to deserve it! Be quiet! Barnabas orders him, but Willie is persistent. You don’t want to do it, he insists. I can tell you don’t. But Barnabas orders him off to bed. Willie has to obey.

Barnabas enters Josette’s room. He looks longingly at Josette’s portrait, then approaches the bed. He gazes down at Vicki, deep in innocent slumber--and utterly vulnerable....

I think Barnabas is really in love with Vicki--at least as much as he can love anyone. This is not like Maggie, whom he didn't really see as a human being in herself, just as a replacement for Josette. He doesn't see Vicki that way at all.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
This was Frid’s episode.  The writers wrote the lines, but Frid did far, far more than what was required by the lines.  I wish I could have seen Barnabas in the basement, looking around, hoping to see Sarah, and fearing it at the same time.

Somewhere on the Fridiculousness DVD, Frid mentions Barnabas, and briefly mocks the idea of a reluctant vampire.  But to look at his performance today, you would never guess that he ever saw the role in anything but a deadly serious light.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »
Was Sarah trying to warn Vicki, or at least, scare her away to protect her from Barnabas? She helped Maggie to escape from him, so maybe she's also trying to help Vicki, a bit more secretly this time? I'm probably reading too much into it, but I can't help but wonder what Sarah was trying to accomplish by singing London Bridge outloud, waking Vicki but not appearing to her.

Willie had to have known what a chance he was taking by offering to take Vicki home. I think Barnabas didn't thrash him for that because Barnabas himself offered Vicki a chance to return to Collinwood....I think he is beginning to see Vicki for herself, not as some Josette wannabe, though at this point that's still his main goal, to recreate Josette in someone else.

Barnabas has to suspect that maybe Sarah has come back. A little girl in an old-fashioned dress....Willie has met her, found her ball in the basement, Vicki caught a glimpse at her at the party and now has heard a little girl's voice singing London Bridge....Sarah's favorite song. Barnabas can't totally ignore these clues that point to the possibility that his little sister has returned....yet she hasn't appeared to him. As he gets a bit more devious in the following episodes, this is the one area that will bother him endlessly.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:46:21 PM »
Yes, Lydia, JF really shines in this episode. The depth of his portrayal in what might have become a campy, over-the-top role really made me love this show. JK also is brilliant.

And I'll bet Barnabas knows that Sarah has come back. I like the idea of Barn going down to the basement, hoping and dreading to see her. I'm sure she was trying to warn Vicki--or at least befriend her so that she could warn her. But Vicki is too taken with spending the night in Josette's room to be receptive. It was easier for Sarah to reach Maggie because Maggie was on the edge of madness and maybe readier to believe.

Willie really takes some big chances in this episode. I think that at heart he's still as incorrigible as he was up to the moment when he broke into the secret room. That incorrigibility was his weakness before, but now, along with his hard-won compassion, it's his greatest strength, because that's where his will to defy Barnabas resides.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
This character study type of episode is missing in the later years unfortunately.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Barnabas tells Vicki that he hopes she finds everything she needs. Hope she doesn't have to pee in the middle of the night, because I doubt she will find a bathroom.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
 [ghost_grin] But Josette would have used a chamber pot, I suppose--unless off camera, Willie has discovered he has a hitherto unsuspected talent for installing plumbing.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:19:20 PM »
I thought about Vicky using a chamber pot, and I thought about Willie emptying it for her, and I thought: "Ew."

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »
A single girl staying the night in a mans house just isn't done without people talking in 1967. I often wonder what the original audience thought about some of these goings on from their middle American homes.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »
Yes, and Vicki was basically unchaperoned--Willie's presence wouldn't have counted. But I'm sure that would only have added to the audience's shivers!  [ghost_grin]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 07:18:54 AM »
This is easily one of the finest episodes in the entire series. Everything about it is extraordinary: the script, the acting, the direction, the photography, the setting, the atmosphere. There's a surprising depth and complexity to the characters (especially Barnabas, of course) as well as to their relationships to one another. The scenes of Vicki moving gracefully through Josette's dimly lit room as she prepares for bed, punctuated by occasional flashes of lightning, are lyrical and haunting. Indeed, the oft over-used and cliched  thunderstorm-in-the-background contributes immensely to the overall effectiveness of the piece.

It's kind of amazing that something of this fine a quality could be produced by a daytime television drama in the 1960s, but, then again, I guess that's why Dark Shadows is still being watched all these decades later. This episode truly shows what the makers of this series could achieve when they were cooking on all burners.

Ep 286 embodies Dark Shadows at its finest.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »
Roland - long time no see. Nice to see you posting again. Welcome back!  [snow_smiley]

And I agree - this is also one of my all-time favorite DS eps!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Welcome back! I hope that you will continue to post, Roland! [snow_smiley]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 07:15:58 AM »
Thanks so much for the welcome back! I admit I'd taken a bit of a vacation from DS for awhile. I finished re-watching the series in April 2011 and decided to give it a rest before returning to it at some future date (I think I've watched it all the way through three times since the '90s).

But, then, last spring, I decided to watch all the pre-Barnabas episodes on youtube, since I had never seen them before, determined that I would stop watching again when Barnabas arrived on the scene. What I didn't count on was the intense pull of the narrative, so here I am plowing through the whole thing again. I've been perusing these discussions from the past after completing each episode, but figured I was too far behind to add anything by commenting on them at this late date. However, I was so blown away by this particular episode that I felt I just had to make a few comments on it. I'd forgotten how really good this section of the series is.

It's nice to know my late night rantings didn't go unnoticed on here. But I guess, like DS itself and many of its characters, even threads from the distant past don't stay buried forever!